Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I just installed this:

http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827711

the inner lips fit nicely on the sheet metal, but the lid won't close with all 4 sides installed...I removed the bottom seal and it closed, but the hatch popped open on the drive home

the top seal is also visible from the outside with the lid closed...should it be? the lid seems to be installed correctly

I did not cut angle corners where the horizontal sides meet the vertical sides...should I have? doesn't seem like it would make a difference

it closes easily enough now that I am home, so that's how it is now...I am hoping that the rubber compresses somewhat...anyone have an similar issues? I know door and window seals are often a problem

thanks

(I searched and did not find anything)

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same trouble with my new seal. I think it may be some adjustment in the rear hatch hinges. I think they can adjust just like the door hinges.

Let me know if you figure it out.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try to post some photos, as well...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the same one in, or at least I think it was the same one that I got from ronnie @ bustoration. Mine fit with no issues. Remove the seal and adjust the hinges and latch plate so that the decklid closes flush with the body, then try to re-install. That was the procedure I used and had no issues.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I just put the same one in, or at least I think it was the same one that I got from ronnie @ bustoration. Mine fit with no issues. Remove the seal and adjust the hinges and latch plate so that the decklid closes flush with the body, then try to re-install. That was the procedure I used and had no issues.

What year bus? The seal(s) I am having trouble with come in fours pieces for my '63. My previous bus was '66 and had a single 'square' seal.

The earlier seal is in four pieces.

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, mine was the 1 piece for a 67 bus.
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the seals from WW on my 60 and even with adjustments still had too much of an odd/tight fit for my liking. I removed them and bought the seals from Ronnie at Bustoration which were definately NOT the WW seals and it worked out perfect. They were softer, much better fit and no adjustments needed.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiko wrote:
I installed the seals from WW on my 60 and even with adjustments still had too much of an odd/tight fit for my liking. I removed them and bought the seals from Ronnie at Bustoration which were definately NOT the WW seals and it worked out perfect. They were softer, much better fit and no adjustments needed.

Hmm... I bought my seals from Ronnie in the first place Question

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He carries several different brands from different manufacturers. The one I got is very soft, light Gray in color and comes in a large plastic bag [Brazil]. The seals I got from WW were Black in color and very thick/stiff.

Guess it depends on your bus and specific decklid though because I know people who have installed the WW seals and had no issues.
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: '63 Kombi Reply with quote

mine are black, very well made, and fit nicely on the raised sheet metal lip, but pop the lid when all are installed...the lid seems to be adjusted well, so for now I am just going to run the top seal...I'll try again when I have more time

'63 Kombi

Last edited by dubstar on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem with the WW seals for my 63. I had to sit on the ground, grip the bumper and close the damn thing with my feet. After four years, its just now closing by just slamming it.
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for user Viande on the forums. He has the utmost in German seal made on actual by God German molds.
Also his website...
www.luftkuhlte.com
The difference is in the molding process. Wink

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Im having a hard time with these WW seals as well:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827711

It is the only one i see available for my bus.

I went to check the seals at Bustoration (mentioned above) but they both seem to be out of stock:

Black (rubber):
http://www.bustoration.com/Engine-Lid-Seal-55-79-Black-Rubber-EPDM-B6_p_2052.html

Gray (Foam):
http://www.bustoration.com/Engine-Lid-Seal-55-71-FOAM-B6_p_872.html

The WW seals are messing with the alignment of the lid, and i had to put a lot of pressure to manage to close it. I left them on and will check in a couple of days to see if they compress or something... But im definitely looking for a better option.

My bus is a 64 standard, and i have a new engine lid, new hinges and apron (from WW), a new hinge carrier (from KlassicFab) and we repaired the lips on the pillars, so, basically everything back in there is new... but now these WW seals are crapping the whole thing.

If anyone has a link of a better seal, that is currently available for purchase, please let me know.

UPDATE:

I found this one on CiP1:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D261%2D827%2D711

But they are in the process of moving their warehouse and expect a 2 week delay on new orders... So, no.

Also found this one:
https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/engine-lid/seal-engine-lid-261827711-br

Its brazilian, but available, and cheaper too. Can anyone here coment on this one? Is it worth the shot?

Thanks in advance.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:
Im having a hard time with these WW seals as well:

My bus is a 64 standard, and i have a new engine lid, new hinges and apron (from WW), a new hinge carrier (from KlassicFab) and we repaired the lips on the pillars, so, basically everything back in there is new... but now these WW seals are crapping the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you replaced a good amount of structure in the area, I would see if there is adjustments you can make as well to those pieces. More than likely they are not a slap it in and it is perfect kind of replacement. For one, I know that the hinges for the rear hatch have a great amount of adjustment in them.

My seals are still very tight. If you can get it closed, than I wouldn't worry about it too much.

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

KevinAlbrecht wrote:
Sounds like you replaced a good amount of structure in the area, I would see if there is adjustments you can make as well to those pieces. More than likely they are not a slap it in and it is perfect kind of replacement. For one, I know that the hinges for the rear hatch have a great amount of adjustment in them.

My seals are still very tight. If you can get it closed, than I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Everything is perfectly aligned without the seals; the problem comes only when the seals are placed, as they push the lid outward. We checked all the gaps, including all the flat surfaces were the the seals sit, and everything is ok, as it marches the gap on the new apron and the pillar that did not require any fixes.

I'll wait on the feedback for the brazilian seal and give it a try... After replacing everything I really don't want to simply settle for a bad alignment 😊.

Thanks for your comments anyway!
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

The seal that Wolfsburg West sells is too thick and too firm. I bought one for my 70' bus and everything was aligned and adjusted perfect. I ended up throwing it in the garbage. I've read repeatedly that most folks have the same result.

Colin (Amskeptic) had a one piece engine lid seal on his 70'. His engine lid closed beautifully. He bought it from Bus Depot. It appears to be perfect.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Thanks bill I'll check that out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

More than likely this is the one you want.

Made of a closed foam rubber and so has lots of give. Not as good as the part from the factory, but as close as we have been able to find.

That other one WW sells is only a small step up from stuffing garden hose pieces in there.....
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
More than likely this is the one you want.

Made of a closed foam rubber and so has lots of give. Not as good as the part from the factory, but as close as we have been able to find.

That other one WW sells is only a small step up from stuffing garden hose pieces in there.....

Unfortunately, that one is out of stock.

Busdepot offers this one:
http://www.busdepot.com/261827711

Someone already mentioned this one works good... What do you think?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:
KevinAlbrecht wrote:

Everything is perfectly aligned without the seals; the problem comes only when the seals are placed, as they push the lid outward. We checked all the gaps, including all the flat surfaces were the the seals sit, and everything is ok, as it marches the gap on the new apron and the pillar that did not require any fixes.

I'll wait on the feedback for the brazilian seal and give it a try... After replacing everything I really don't want to simply settle for a bad alignment 😊.

Thanks for your comments anyway!

are you able to close the deck lid at all? As I had mentioned (and others as well), the seals will need time to compress. I believe it is better to have a tight seal than not.

Mine requires a good slam to get it to latch, but once it is closed, I am good.

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: