Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:

Unfortunately, that one is out of stock.

Busdepot offers this one:
http://www.busdepot.com/261827711

Someone already mentioned this one works good... What do you think?

From the small image it looks like the best one we have found. Does not hurt to inquire with Ronnie at Bustoration to see if he is getting more of that seal in soon if you are planning to get more from him.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
More than likely this is the one you want.

http://www.bustoration.com/Engine-Lid-Seal-55-71-FOAM-B6_p_872.html

Made of a closed foam rubber and so has lots of give. Not as good as the part from the factory, but as close as we have been able to find.

That other one WW sells is only a small step up from stuffing garden hose pieces in there.....

indeed. I have the WW one on both my 71's and the lid stands proud on the sides and bottom with the hinges adjusted to the "all the way out" position.

without the WW seal in all the gaps are mint and the lid sits flush... it's so bad with the WW seal it looks like I dropped the ball on assembly.

may have to try the foam 1 piece deal. anyone have a photo of it installed? I wonder if it hooks into the channel correctly

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
More than likely this is the one you want.

http://www.bustoration.com/Engine-Lid-Seal-55-71-FOAM-B6_p_872.html

Made of a closed foam rubber and so has lots of give. Not as good as the part from the factory, but as close as we have been able to find.

That other one WW sells is only a small step up from stuffing garden hose pieces in there.....

indeed. I have the WW one on both my 71's and the lid stands proud on the sides and bottom with the hinges adjusted to the "all the way out" position.

without the WW seal in all the gaps are mint and the lid sits flush... it's so bad with the WW seal it looks like I dropped the ball on assembly.

may have to try the foam 1 piece deal. anyone have a photo of it installed? I wonder if it hooks into the channel correctly

When Colin (amskeptic)was here last year on Colin's itinerant tour, I had a chance to drive his 70' bus and look it over. When I opened Colin's engine lid, not only was it silky smooth, but I went to close it out of curiosity. It closed perfectly and snug. The gaps were perfect. His engine lid seal was the one piece style of rubber that was similar to the German door rubber. I asked Colin where he bought it and he said it was the good seal from Bus Depot. It looks like Airhead Parts sells the same one as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I wonder if it hooks into the channel correctly

It does not quite hook in like the factory part, but it does stick into that channel so as to not pop out too easily. You could put some glue to stick it to the body, we have not needed that over the years though.
Only complaint we have with it is the new seal is that the lower horizontal part of it tends to collect water/oil and small junk against the engine lid lower edge.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
VirtuallyReal wrote:

Unfortunately, that one is out of stock.

Busdepot offers this one:
http://www.busdepot.com/261827711

Someone already mentioned this one works good... What do you think?

From the small image it looks like the best one we have found. Does not hurt to inquire with Ronnie at Bustoration to see if he is getting more of that seal in soon if you are planning to get more from him.

I asked him last fall and he told me the manufacturer stopped making this seal, so as far as I know they are no longer available. The grey foam seal that is.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

When Colin (amskeptic)was here last year on Colin's itinerant tour, I had a chance to drive his 70' bus and look it over. When I opened Colin's engine lid, not only was it silky smooth, but I went to close it out of curiosity. It closed perfectly and snug. The gaps were perfect. His engine lid seal was the one piece style of rubber that was similar to the German door rubber. I asked Colin where he bought it and he said it was the good seal from Bus Depot. It looks like Airhead Parts sells the same one as well.

I think I might give the Bus Depot one a try, did he cut the corners as well before he installed it?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I think I might give the Bus Depot one a try, did he cut the corners as well before he installed it?

I don't know if Colin had to do any cutting on it. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

interesting...

having to glue the seals in would be a deal breaker for me. I have no glue on any of my seals and have no issues.

this is how bad the WW seal is

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the 1 piece foam deal is cheap money. God knows I have blown more money on crap than the cost of the seal. I will buy one this week and report back

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Anyone tried the seal from West Coast Metric?

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/261-711/engine_door_seal_bus_195571_made_in_usa_by_wcm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Anyone tried the seal from West Coast Metric?

Yes. Works perfect.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

just ordered the 1 piece foam seal. will update when it shows up. for 20 clams, what could possibly go wrong?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

just ordered the 1 piece foam seal.

From where?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

flea bay. I figure its all Brazilian junk anyway. for 18.00 with free shipping who cares?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Nice, interested to see how it works out. I'm guessing its the one Bus Depot sells. I was going to try that one or the WCM one.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-261-829-571
Treasure chest seal

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D261%2D827%2D711
Engine lid seal. I hope the engine lid seal is the same excellent quality. We shall see.

Got these treasure chest seals from Cip1. I bought most seals from every source. They were all the same, too hard. These were the best. They fit perfectly with 45 degree glued corners. They are soft and filled with air like an inner tube. I ordered the engine seal but not here yet. They have several choices. These were the most expensive ones.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-261-829-571
Treasure chest seal

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D261%2D827%2D711
Engine lid seal. I hope the engine lid seal is the same excellent quality. We shall see.

Even at $30.00 each those are a great seal and looks made just like factory. Hoping the engine lid seal is same factory design and quality is high for both.
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I just bought the engine seal from CIP1. Part # C16-261-711. I'll post some pics. Not installed but it seemed soft and pliable and matched the profile etc of the stock one on our '66. It's not the foam one, though and it is one piece; not four like in the photo. They were out of the German one so I took a chance.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I also bought the CiP1 engine seal (same one Kurt bought), should be shipped tomorrow.
I'll report how it goes. *fingers crossed*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

The seal is here:

Looks well made, and definitely softer than the WW one.

Here you can see the groove for the lip on the engine compartment.

Im now heading to the shop where my bus is at; expect updates on the fitting tonight.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I ordered the foam style off of ebay also.. I have 2 busses I need to install them on.. my 15 window had the WW style seal and the decklid pushing out. I pulled it out and will install the foam style in the next couple of days and post photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: