Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater cables to late heat exchangers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Heater cables to late heat exchangers Reply with quote

I have a 1600 in my '56 and I want to have heat. The heater cables ends don't come anywhere near where the control flaps are on the 1600 heat exchangers. Has anyone come up with a way to do this? Thanks.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cables available in different lengths - if you know what yours are and know how short they are you should be able to get it to work. But the problem that I had with the 61 was that the new cable ends (thick part) were too big to make the bends, so I had to cut them off and then splice the ends. Was a pain in the butt.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem getting the drivers side cable through the tube. Once I cut the end off it slid right through. I'll find some same size diameter wire and make my own longer cables. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the problem was the heat exchangers were off a bus engine. The part where the cable connects to was on top lever/hinge of the heat exchanger. I bought these and got everything hooked up.

54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going down to 12 degrees tonight, you may need that heat...lol. Rolling Eyes

Good work Joey.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe what those crazy weather forecasters say... it was suppose to rain all day yesterday and it was sunny. Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: