Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this fuel filter placement site dangerous?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Is this fuel filter placement site dangerous? Reply with quote

My son is visiting his uncle in FL. Uncle has bay window. Son shot this pic of Uncle's fuel filter placement & asked if I would post it on Samba & ask if any of you think this is a potential danger. If so, do you have an alternate site for placement to suggest? Thanks Danno's Mom
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove for 350,000 miles with one of those style in that general location away from the fan belt. However for every one person here who says no biggee there will be 9 who say don't do it in case it leaks creating a fire hazard.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common to see that. Typical even.

However bus fires are also common.

Make of it what you will.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you have an alternate site for placement to suggest?

On the other side of front tin piece (out of the engine compartment)... not nearly as easy to get to, but safer in the event of a filter failure/rupture.

yuthi'so'coro
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good things I can say for the location is at least its on the low pressure side AND it has clamps.

But being between a place where lots of sparks happen and an awfully hot heat riser probably isn't the best place.

Just in front of the firewall tin is a safer place.

M
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the true problem is not the fuel filter in the engine compartrment.

the problem is the weight of the fuel filter bouncing around pulling the brass fuel hose out of the aluminum carb body

the solution is a 1/16-27 NPT barbed hose fitting screwed into the carb.

but I have my fuel next to the transmission, too.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not place it underneath the bus.? If your tank is clean you will not have to change the filter for a while. So why not be safe and place it underneath the bus?

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not going to pull the brass connector out of the carb because it's on the low pressure inlet side of the pump. And it won't spray the engine. But it could sure drench the engine. Gas could run down on the hot exhaust but it can also run down on the hot exhaust just the same if it's on the front side of the firewall. Electrical, wiring and gas don't mix well. Havn't you read the fire sticky yet?
Kosmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that braided hose you got there?
That looks old to me. If it is, replace it with good quality rubber
fuel hose, and get some fuel injection type clamps, no slots
in the bands.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the good German braided hose that most of us prefer. It would be good quality rubber. Although here was a bad batch floating around a while ago. And it does'nt necessarily look old. I replace mine every 2 or 3 years. Braided on the bug and since running duals on the bus just good quality unsheathed rubber fuel hose. Last week replaced that after 3 years also. Looked good but fairly stiff. Used the standard Gates fuel line from NAPA.
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of things that are changed because either some one gets hurt or killed. We had a saying in the Navy...Most safety regulations were written in Blood. Consider the fact that when VW finally decided to put inline fuel filters on there production models they placed them Outside of the engine compartment and on the suction side of the pump. Wink

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1978 Champagne Edition (High Top Camper Converstion.) 2.0L FI
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Window Licker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plastic filter that close to the heat riser makes me nervous. It's on the correct side, (low pressure), but at least move it away from the heat riser. A zip tie will go a long way here. If you don't want to move it outside the engine compartment, replace it with an all metal one. They are about $4 instead of $1.50 like the plastic ones. Much safer. Even if you don't replace it with a metal one, tie it back from that heat riser.
My $.02
Scotty
djspn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
It looks like the good German braided hose that most of us prefer. It would be good quality rubber. Although here was a bad batch floating around a while ago.

Do you have a link to a 'bad batch' thread.
A month or two ago, I had some braided, purchased from one of our popular online suppliers and installed in '07 start leaking profusely, looked like it had rotted in a couple places. Shocked
Replaced it w FLAPS Gates.
Thanks
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting this question on TS is like posting to a cat lovers website about your favorite recipe! Very Happy

That being said, the only think I can see wrong with that installation is that the body of the filter is rubbing against the manifold. There is the potential to rub or crack a hole in the filter. A little self-adhesive weatherstrip foam would fix that problem.

I live dangerously, in the opinion of some, with the filter between the pump and carburetor. My reasoning is that all my fuel nipples are good (I pulled them out years ago, knurled them, and replaced them using fuel-proof epoxy). The in-line filter is the third filter that the fuel encounters, after the in-tank screen and the fuel pump screen, so why not let the filter do its job of filtering the finest particles after the other filters do their respective jobs.

The stock fuel pressure is 2.8PSI, which isn't exactly fire-hose pressure. If you pull on the ends of the filter you'll put far more stress on the plastic body and seam than the fuel pressure ever would and I've never been able to pull one of those plastic filters apart.

I put proper smooth hose clamps clamps on every connection, even the tank side of the pump. I just like things to be secure.

Putting the filter on the tank side of the pump invites vapor lock problems which are often a nightmare to diagnose. It doesn't take too much of a drop in pressure below atmospheric to put a bubble of vapor in the line and stop the pump from functioning. I'm not saying not to do it, just be aware of the implications if you have a mysterious problem down the road.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole fuel system is one gigantic fire hazard and the fuel filter placement is only a very small part of it. All my non VW carburated cars have no rubber fuel line above the engine, they are all metal lines from a fuel pump mounted low on the block to the carburetor. There is just a single piece of rubber hose low on the block to allow for engine movement.

A fuel tank that can feed fuel to a fire by gravity is just appalling, but it is what Bays and Splitys came with. The best solution would be to run all metal lines within the engine compartment, but alternately the use of fire resistant hose and a metal fuel filter would be a plus.

I like the idea of replacing the original nipple on the carb with a 1/16 pipe nipple. Where can these nipples be obtained?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also important is to safety wire the little snozzle on the carb....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see is the 009. The last thing you want in a bus is an aggressive advance curve.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.

Last edited by shiningstar76 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The whole fuel system is one gigantic fire hazard and the fuel filter placement is only a very small part of it. All my non VW carburated cars have no rubber fuel line above the engine, they are all metal lines from a fuel pump mounted low on the block to the carburetor. There is just a single piece of rubber hose low on the block to allow for engine movement.

Applying this solution indiscriminately to a VW engine might create its own problems. VW metal lines are very thin and with long unsupported distances between the fuel pump and the carburator having that line all-metal (as was done on the earliest beetles with larger lines) could lead to vibration fatigue problems.

If you replace the rubber lines regularly (say, every two years or so) the fuel system is very safe. If you're worried about the gravity feed a solenoid valve right after the fuel outlet would solve that problem.

The biggest fire danger on the type-1 engine isn't the lines and fittings inside the engine bay. The biggest danger is the metal line that passes through the front engine tin and the rubber line that attaches to it in front of the tin. If the grommet is missing the tin will wear through the metal line and gas will pour out on both sides of the tin. If the gas ignites from the exhaust pipe just inches below this point you can't fight it because it will be burning on both sides of the front tin. Put out one side and it'll re-ignite from the other side. The rubber line in front of the tin is heat-soaked by the exhaust pipe and is often neglected when folks change their fuel lines because it is out of sight. Keep this line and the grommet fresh and problems are unlikely.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the idea of replacing the original nipple on the carb with a 1/16 pipe nipple. Where can these nipples be obtained?

http://www.fastfittings.com/product/32301

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
The only problem I see is the 009. The last thing you want in a bus is an aggressive advance curve.

Unless you are someone who prefers 009's and is delighted with their performance. If your bus doesn't run great don't blame it on a 009.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: