Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remanufactured '82 Air 2.0 Westy Engines-Need Suggestions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdsarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Remanufactured '82 Air 2.0 Westy Engines-Need Suggestions Reply with quote

One of my options is Re-Manufactured Engines for my Westy. Does anyone have suggestions for me? The vehicle is Fayetville, NC
Please let me know
Thanks
Michael
Big Green Egg '08
Canon 5D
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Suburban Engine Exchange
http://www.suburbanengine.com/

They are near you (eastern MA) and were trained by the master himself, "Boston Bob" Donalds.
mdsarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Remanufactured engines Reply with quote

I've got them listed as an option up North and am also looking for options in the South and potential shops that take AMEX..... Rolling Eyes Most shops I've run into looking for a check/cash.....
Big Green Egg '08
Canon 5D
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stay away from GEX. The one I saw was total junk and I have heard horror story after horror story about them.
mdsarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Remanufactured Engine-'82 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for that!!!...I also heard the same about ATK.....
Big Green Egg '08
Canon 5D
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you decide to do...repair/rebuild/re-manufacture, these choices will only work as well as the fuel injection/vacuum system and the engine compartment sealing. You can put a top of the line type 4 store engine in this thing and only get a couple 1000 miles if there are vacuum leaks or bad fuel injection system components. Also if your engine compartment is not sealed correctly you will be trying to cool the engine with hot exhaust air causing it to over heat and shortening the engines life. Many time people will complain about having a repaired/rebuilt/re-manufactured engine claiming it is junk etc when the van didn't even have a chance to begin with because of the rest of the essentials being neglected.

Good luck
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you take it to a qualified mechanic and have them rebuild the motor you have now ? This would save you some shipping/returning core costs. Those monies could be used for your motor rebuild as opposed to the shipping costs.

I get BBQ-D for suggesting that people with air-cooled motors purchase the parts and pieces B4 the well runs dry, but if youve read the various posts about the problems with the supply, I think you will understand.

Everything that reluctantartist pointed out is valuable information and with the advice of other knowledgeable posters, it might help you in making the right move.
mdsarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Question-A rebuilt Series 4 or Suby Conversion '82 westy Reply with quote

This is my next question.....to find out the pro's and con's to this.....advise anyone??

I have spot identified closer to where the Westy is in NC located in Raleigh Transporter Works...still evaluating options and costs....
Big Green Egg '08
Canon 5D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: