Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Where did you get the belts Notch? Are they wide enough for big guys? I'm 6'4" 230.

Bought them new from a fellow local. They were from Canada. Ill have a look in the recycled bin where the package is. And yes these are the ones for the big boys. Me at 6'5" better part of 325 pounds Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Where did you get the belts Notch? Are they wide enough for big guys? I'm 6'4" 230.

Bought them new from a fellow local. They were from Canada. Ill have a look in the recycled bin where the package is. And yes these are the ones for the big boys. Me at 6'5" better part of 325 pounds Wink

Very cool. If you could find out from where, that would be great. How much?

Mine are needing to be replaced.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Some before and after shots of the 77. End of year reflection. Lots of ideas of what to do and or have came true this last year.

List of things changed. Recap so far.

Interior:

Complete redo.
Pulled all cabs and panels, all reskinned and sound deadened. Used deluxe camper stove cabinet. New front covers and carpet. Headliner painted to match OG look. New insulation under it. Dash top pulled and repainted, new retractable seat belts, finished relaminated deluxe center Westy box. Green bottle propane for stove. Jail bars. Yeah - jail bars.

Exterior:

Those cool and very much functional rear view mirrors. Best things ever. Buff BFGoodrich AT Tires on Black rims Cool I know I think they are very cool too Wink Headlight washer system with repainted bumper. Rear Westfalia trailer Hitch with repainted bumper. The tet was replaced wen I bought it, I painted the fiberglass and laid the Westfalia stickers. New rubber all around the PoP tOp at that time. Pulled the windshield and did some half ass repairs, put new windshield in with new rubber.

Others Like drive train and M Code option List.

New 2.4 Liter Type 4 Motor running on stock FI. Innards to include Camper Special heads, cam. Rewind 74 type Exhaust Manifold system so as to run a simpler Stainless muffler from Vintage speed. Fully detailed and redone.

Same old trans - new shaft seal installed. Completely repainted engine bay with the addition of new sound dead cardboard, new insulation, reworked firewall to accept a BN4 Eberspacher Gas Heater.

Accessories: Front to Back - things this bus didn't or shouldn't have.

1) Headlight washer system. To include intermittent and windshield wiper system.
2) Eberspacher Clock Timer.
3) Dash Table and map light.
4) Map Light.
5) Fresh Air Fans (ambulance fans)
6) Large capacity tank at passenger feet for wiper system.
7) Fog Lights with correct switch.
Cool Westy Box
9) Retractable Seat Belts
10) Cooker Stove Top.
11) BN4 Eberspacher Gasoline Heater.
12) Westfalia Trailer Hitch 1977.
13) Westfalia Side Tent - 1977.
14) Accessory Westfalia Essen Trailer - 175,OOO edition 1977.

Its been a great 6 years with this bus. Ready to just cruze and enjoy.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Kick Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Top work Notchboy, looks awesome, love the work you have done and all the additions you've made. Happy new year and enjoy!
My 72 Kombi: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922816#7922816
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

I haven't posted on here much but wanted to say how much I love your Westy and have appreciated the time you've taken to post up your threads on this and other things - the BN4 stuff has been really fun to read (no..seriously it has!).

As a fellow Notch owner and now proud owner of a Swedish Bay 2.0 FI complete with headlamp washers I thought I'd send some encouragement to keep posting as it spurs me on with my own cars.

Cheers from England.

Mark
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

well done and good on ya

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Jason, you have any extra of those Tenax clips? I just need one to fit on my center box and those buckle things that hold the box in place?
Finally got the intermittent wiper delay to work correctly as the relay I had had a short in the circuit board so it worked sometimes when it felt like it, weird.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words. The bus is at a good spot right now, but I always had a good base to start from. Maybe some of me, maybe what was always there Laughing

Bathtub - I need help. Im obsessed Cool

Jeff I do have extra clips. Not sure about the belts/straps though. Ill get you the clip next time we meet.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

and you were thinking of selling this one cuz the motor was tired. Pretty awesome now huh!!! Very Happy
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
and you were thinking of selling this one cuz the motor was tired. Pretty awesome now huh!!! Very Happy

A weak moment. More so for dreading the time management to get it done.

Very glad its done. Small tweeks here and there and this will be a truly amazing bus. Its only awesome now Laughing

Bucket list - take to Hawaiian Islands and just be for a year. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Temmett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Great work! It's been years since I've been in the forums. I sold my Square, bought my Westy and then life kept me from the getting into any restoration work. Just maintenance and a few good road trips. But I'm gearing up to get back in the saddle with my 78 Deluxe and I had to check out where you were with this project. You've done awesome work!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

God makes big bodies to wrap around big hearts...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
notchboy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

God makes big bodies to wrap around big hearts...

And I always thought I having brown eyes needed a bigger body to hold my extra........... Think Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Got the clocks back from the shop. Found that my gray one has cracked gears. But The black one is ready to go and serviced.

I did some finish work in the engine bay - setup a T for the fuel line and wired over to the power off the battery. Did a quick function test and its all working.

Now I need to do the dash stuff. Put in the new dash pod with KPH speedo and the regular switch. Ran out of time yesterday. But I did hook up the heater tubes back by the motor better. Now they have an excellent fit and seal - this doubled my regular heat airflow by double! Did I mention it doubled? I had no idea it could work even better. Stuart actually found that when we discovered a loose trans mount.

I hope to get this sucker running this week. I had a dream/nightmare last nigh that I was still working on it trying to get the fuel to the pump and running. THen the pump stopped. Rolling Eyes What a cold dream Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Came home from work early - Stuart actually had to be on a new loss my company received - Stew had to meet my guys last night for a late water damage at a job site hes watching. So after staying up all nigh he wanted to come over and play vw.

He puts in my 75 amp alt, adjustable V-Reg, SVDA dizzy, adjusts the airflow meter, palys with the stock heater connections, lubes the stick shifter.

Shocked

I just kept throwing Chimichangas and corn dogs at him!

We take a test drive with the new Alt and seriously stepped up heater output. I put better tubes off the HE on and we fine tuned today. My God the heat went from - hey awsome it works to Wholly Christ save me from the hell heat! I thought it was good before. Now it is moving the sand from the HE from being blasted onto my dash. Big difference - especially at speed.

Took some Thermal Imaging shots for fun. Ill do the same when the BN4 is finally hooked up Wink

Link

Link

Link

Whats that blue color in the sky? Its been like a month straight of shit weather.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Whats that blue color in the sky? Its been like a month straight of shit weather.

Only a month? You lucky bastard. Laughing

Looking damn good.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Big thanks to BayCreamPuff for posting a link for an old BOSCH Car Vac. I remember the next door neighbor as a kid had one of these for his Mercedes. He was always using it on the car and the RV after camping. As soon as I saw it again - I had to have two Wink The one you see here and an even nicer one in its og packing box - on its way Cool Laughing

This one works great and should be a great addition to the 77.

I think these suck.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

There have been some big things going on with the bus. Some may have seen in other threads relating to the Eberspacher - done on this bus.

For the 77 Westfalia the Eberspacher restoration, installation and running is coming to an end.

Last week I finally fitted the switch and eberspacher timer clock I so badly wanted to do. The week before that the fuel and power off the battery to the unit.

After I had it all figured out, plugging it in was a breeze - a warm breeze Laughing Rolling Eyes

The heater all restored kicked in almost immediate. I was able to play around and see how it worked with the different applications I had used for turning it on.

The clock keeps perfect time and the heater couldn't be better. All that work for this realy paid off.

Enjoy - I will next winter Razz

Link

Link

Link

Then today :

So to gain better air flow through the OG cabinet vent, the center was cut out and screen installed.

I used a $2.59 piece of gutter cover screen. Stuart snipped it out and it actually fits - slides in the tangs on the back of the plate. I sanded the plate a bit, painted it fresh satin then pushed the screen back in. Easy project with way more airflow and looks the part.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

that looks like it was one worthwhile installation Jason Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 36

Jump to: