Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I drove my van today...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: I drove my van today... Reply with quote

Hey guys. I don't post much lately...

Bought a house, girl is doing a PhD (studding full time), no time to travel for a wile so I work like a dog. the red tornado beast is just sitting in my driveway, no real trip ahead, for those who know me... I'm a traveler, that house thing is hard on me $$$ and mentally. the van as been for sale for a wile, but no she is not going for 20K$, NO sir! Still, i have a few very interested buyer lately so she will go soon, I feel it, this day will be a sad day for me and i mean it.... but I will built another one, don't say anything for now... he he, i have to use that modified WRX engine sitting in my shed.

So I took that film today will climbing some hills, i was on cruise control at about 72 mph, i said to myself what a nice frigging van I have built. the engine didn't even complain even on the last steeper hill (look at the big truck climbing at the end), in the back, a trailer with 2 Subi engine.

i have stop bugging you with my conversion a wile ago but gentlemen, today i have realize that they are superb engine for a Vanagon.... yep, i did over 44 conversion but I still think that I'm being humble about the quality of my work.

This is my van, my baby, i have put my blood in it. With this one I have seen the hills of Mexico, Florida ocean, the maritime provinces a few time, some part of eastern US. 25k miles later it's still working like a charm.

Anyway, wile I took that video I had a big smile on my face:

Link

Sorry if i have bored you.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome. your van is great! thanks for sharing.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I drove my van today... Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Sorry if i have bored you. Ben

You are many things Ben but you are never boring.

I am a TOTAL diesel head. I love my TDI...but I always read you posts.
Your website is a great service to the community.

BTW, is that Hwy 10 your on? sure looks like Mount Orford on the horizon.
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I drove my van today... Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

i have stop bugging you with my conversion a wile ago but gentlemen, today i have realize that they are superb engine for a Vanagon....

Fo sho, the 1.8T is dope, but seems like a tranny killer Laughing

Subarus are where its at Wink
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Ben. I always like your posts. Especially when you get mad, and frustrated. In my mind I can hear you cursing in French, and honestly it makes me smile Very Happy. It is nice, however, to see you relax and enjoy a nice drive and a little Flesh For Lulu on the radio. Perhaps you were listening to the "Some Kind of Wonderful" soundtrack? You know, it plays in the limo at the end when Eric Stoltz finally gets the girl. But I digress...

Keep up the good work.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben

Sacrebleu mon ami Smile

Sorry to know that you are letting your van go. It is one of the nicest I have seen on Samba or anywhere else for that matter. If perfection exist in the Vanagon World yours it is.
However I am delighted that you already have your next van on your mind and I hope to see you post on it soon.
If I were in your neighborhood, you would be the only person I'll let work on mine.
Also thank you for all the help and contributions on this forum and to less knowledgeable fools like me.

But, ce n'est qu'un au revoir Smile

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinant dans

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

You are a vital part of the Samba community, and your posts are (I agree) never boring.

You seem to be in a season of your life now where you need to stay close to home, but this will change. Travel will come again. A new van will emerge from under your skillful hands to impress and inspire the rest of us. Keep your head up, take a fast drive when needed to clear your head, and stay positive.

And going 110 at 3700 RPM, that is DAMN FAST!

(yes, I know it's kilometers =^)

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Ben,

You are a vital part of the Samba community, and your posts are (I agree) never boring.

You seem to be in a season of your life now where you need to stay close to home, but this will change. Travel will come again. A new van will emerge from under your skillful hands to impress and inspire the rest of us. Keep your head up, take a fast drive when needed to clear your head, and stay positive.

-CJ

That's approx. 68 miles per hour. Ben, what size tires do you use and I suppose given those figures you have a standard gearbox ratios. Am I correct ?
I get approximately 70mph at around 4000rpm. I add the "approximately" and "around" in view of the multiple posts clearly stating that our instruments are proximity instruments and not scientific tools.
Thanks

GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think sometimes when we are immersed in these vehicles we dont quite realize how nice they are...(cough cough) i drove mine over the gorgeous un seasonable weekend we had & after not driving it for over a month I realized the same as Ben how smooth she was, how tight, how nice the motor is...& i fell in love with her again Embarassed then i parked her put her up & covered her for the winter Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad respect the van , man
vspecter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe your van still on the market !! Bonne chance Ben, j'ai hâte de voir ton prochain projet Smile

Roadtrip to from Québec to Utah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCpcA7NLdE
jbeaulie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I drove my van today... Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Sorry if i have bored you.

Ben,

I have learned many things from your posts on this and other forums (e.g., vanagon listserve) over the years. One of them is that you are NEVER truly apologetic for anything you post!

Please receive this comment with the high humor in which it was sent and keep the posts coming.

jake
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
climberjohn wrote:
Ben,

-CJ

That's approx. 68 miles per hour. Ben, what size tires do you use and I suppose given those figures you have a standard gearbox ratios. Am I correct ?
I get approximately 70mph at around 4000rpm. I add the "approximately" and "around" in view of the multiple posts clearly stating that our instruments are proximity instruments and not scientific tools.
Thanks

The exact speed at 3700-800 was 118kmh (73mph-GPS- on the right seat), speedo is off a bit. We need to keep it under 120kmh (74.5mph) in Quebec to not be bothered by highway patrol.

15in mag wheel, total height is stock at around 24in or so. I have the high fourth gear... RPM is right as i calibrated this one at 3500 with the OBD.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes in was on 10 near Orford

Why it as not sold yet... every time someone call or e-mail me I say that it's not for sale anymore Smile or i may be asking to much... I guess.
I lowered it to 27,000$ this week. 25,000$ is about my cost, no labor.

I'll be looking for a nice carat soon, wekender interior, no pop-top, 4 speed. No need for an engine in it Smile If you see something let me know.

No way i'll be without a van for long. Strangely (or not), my next American road-trip will be monument valley and the west coast. My girl never saw the west coast so I have 8 month to built me a nice van.

Thanks for the comments, it's always nice to hear some,Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
VisPacem wrote:
climberjohn wrote:
Ben,

-CJ

Thanks

The exact speed at 3700-800 was 118kmh (73mph-GPS- on the right seat), speedo is off a bit. We need to keep it under 120kmh (74.5mph) in Quebec to not be bothered by highway patrol.

15in mag wheel, total height is stock at around 24in or so. I have the high fourth gear... RPM is right as i calibrated this one at 3500 with the OBD.

Yes in was on 10 near Orford

Why it as not sold yet... every time someone call or e-mail me I say that it's not for sale anymore Smile or i may be asking to much... I guess.

I'll be looking for a nice carat soon, wekender interior, no pop-top, 4 speed. No need for an engine in it Smile If you see something let me know.

No way i'll be without a van for long. Strangely (or not), my next American road-trip will be monument valley and the west coast. My girl never saw the west coast so I have 8 month to built me a nice van.

Thanks for the comments, it's always nice to hear some,Ben

Thanks for the info Ben. From the data you indicate your high fourth gear makes the difference with mine. I have the standard (automatic transmission) and 15" wheels ( Mercedes) with 215-70-15 tyres.
I guess you are looking next for something very similar to mine if I am not mistaken. Real bed, two rear facing seats, table, hardtop.
I have tried them all from Westies to Syncro and it is my favorite arrangement.

Monument Valley is GREAT. Probably my favorite site in North America.
If Las Vegas is on your way from Monument to the West Coat, drop me an IM ahead of time, I'll be delighted to buy you a beer or a Cognac, or perhaps a glass of Champagne as your princess might not drink beer or Cognac.

Cheerio

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

Because you are not in Cali-form-nia. Meanwhile GoWesty sold a Eurovan pop-top weekender for $44K + with 109,000 miles on the motor. Who antes that much cash for a van they couldn't even move off the lots when new? (don't get me wrong, I'm not a Eurovan hater, that's just fact - VW lowered the price $5K on them one year.)

Your van is definitely worth more than $27K - if I was retiring, I would buy that van and head out for year, at least, renting the house while I was gone.

The van you are proposing to build sounds like the bay window tin-top Westys. With the price of Vanagon Westys, I'm surprised that more people don't build "tin-top" Vanagon campers. Sure, you will get more money back for the effort into a pop-top Westy, but decent passenger vans can be found for a few thousand. Idea

Happy trails,
John
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

My mom has a '91 GL Carvelle she needs to sell.....
4 Speed, Weekender set up, Tin Top, A/C (no pump!). If anyone will give it the TLC it needs, I think it would be you.
PM me for details!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the faith, Ben. Maybe you could consider staying Canadian, but getting closer to the Left Coast US and Canadian market by re-locating to Vancouver once your woman gets that Phd. Vancouver, Seattle, Portland are all Westy hotbeds and the vehicles don't rust here the way they do in P.Q. I used to live in Toronto. Rust? Je me souviens.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

Your van is beautiful.

dylan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: