Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with spare tire well.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisrouth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Help with spare tire well. Reply with quote

Hey Guys I need some help. I am restoring a 56 sedan. I am at critical point in replacing the spare tire well bottom sheet metal. I bought the repair panel from Wolfsburg West.

As I was ready to tack the panels in place I noticed something. What was left of the orginal panel had a depression that is about 1.78" deep in the center. Where the tire sits.

My question is has anybody replaced this panel with the reproductions that do not have this depression? I am concerned that there will not be enough clearence for the tire when I close the hood.

Any help would be appreciated. I can tack everything in place pull the tire off get the hood bolt it on and do a check. However, I have three boys a wife and just enough time to keep the project moving.

Thanks in advance I really like this forum as a resource Great People.

Chris
56 VW
43 Jeep
42 WC-56 Command Car
62 T-Bird
64 T-Bird
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work, there is actually a little metal bracket that comes down and keeps the tire from actually sitting in that hole, raising the tire up enough to let water drain out the bottom..so there should be no problem using this piece, you can always elevate and get the correct part from Wolf

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=493476
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Wolfsburg West one years ago. Then wolf came out with his. Bought it and will have it put in before paint. It'll be all correct at least. I'd send back the ww version and step up to wolfs... It has the correct bump, and wire hold downs cut in already!
Chrisrouth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Great! I just had that movie thing where I go to close the hood after painting and it stopped short by an inch.

A big help thanks very much.

Now to get the time to get it done

Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: