Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do aircooled aftermkt valve spring retainers fit WBX heads?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Do aircooled aftermkt valve spring retainers fit WBX heads? Reply with quote

I'm looking at the CB performance 1503 - Chromoly Valve Spring Retainers and I'm wondering if they will fit on my AMC 2.1 WBX head?

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=90

Thanks

Last edited by Pascal on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a set of those, so provisionally, yes. But let me check them out tomorrow to see if what I have is the 1503's and how they fit the wbx springs.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a set of 1503's. Yes, they fit the wbx dual springs well.

Since the only reason to get them is weight savings (unless, I suppose, your other retainers rolled under the workbench and you don't feel like fishing them out), I weighed them: One OEM retainer= 22g; One 1503= 20g.

Oh by the way, your thread title is misleading, the Type1 didn't use dual valve springs (except maybe the late Mexican Type1 with hydro lifters, not so sure there), these are for aftermarket setups with the heads modded to accept duals, by and large.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Since the only reason to get them is weight savings.

Oh by the way, your thread title is misleading, the Type1 didn't use dual valve springs, these are for aftermarket setups with the heads modded to accept duals, by and large.

Wow thanks 10C! this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm trying to lighten things up a bit to put less strain on the cam & lifters given that todays off the shelf oils are primarilly designed for roller cams/lifters. I'm thinking, less weight=less friction=less wear

Do you think there would be any issues with the WBX exhaust valve being larger diameter than the type 1 exhaust valve? I wonder if the keepers would fit properly in the retainer hole. I'm guessing not since the WBX retainers are all the same and are suitable for the different diameter intake and exhaust valves.

BTW good point on the title. I changed it a bit.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think there would be any issues with the WBX exhaust valve being larger diameter than the type 1 exhaust valve?

I guess you mean the larger 9mm valve stem? They neck down to 8mm, so all 8 valves use the same retainers and keepers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: