Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A CARB question for our engine swap guru's?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: A CARB question for our engine swap guru's? Reply with quote

So...If I was given a 95impreza from WA.
Would emissions equipment be acceptable to the CA. authorities?
I know its a crapshoot...but are there any real differences in the CA cars.
Thanks
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its OBDII it will most likely never get passed by a ref here in CA. I've never heard of anyone here in Northern CA getting an OBDII engine past a ref. Is it a 2.2 or a 2.5?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
If its OBDII it will most likely never get passed by a ref here in CA. I've never heard of anyone here in Northern CA getting an OBDII engine past a ref. Is it a 2.2 or a 2.5?

OBDI 2.2...should be a "shoe in" except for the "out of state" question.
Is there any real difference...or is a 2.2 a 2.2 anywhere in the 48?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important part is that it's obd1 and 2.2.
It's got a dual port exhaust, yes?
With the jdm 1995 obd1 2.2, there is a little bit of a difference, but not with the short block itself.
The reason I mention this is because I have no way of knowing whether or not your car has this type of set-up, BUT, it doesn't really matter too much because since the difference is NOT with the short block itself, that means you could go to any 90-94 junkyard 2.2 and rob the necessary parts.

I have a jdm 95 obd1 2.2, unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me what the item was that had to be swapped out, and nobody can look at it now and tell that it's not a 90-94.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a "California only" version of the 2.2. If your 2.2 has an evap canister and an EGR (if it has one) then I can't think of much else that would not get past a ref.

You should join the SubaruVanagon Yahoo List and ask the question there just to be sure: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: There is a CARB web site Reply with quote

The CARB web site has a page that describes what has to be done to do a legal swap. From the top of my head wiht my experience:
1) donar engine has to have all the smog equipment that was present on the donar car.(includeing evap system)
2) engine has to be the same yr or newer
3) If the engine is going into a manual it has to have come from a manual car.
4) If obd2 the obd2 diagnostic port has to be easly accessible by the smog tech
5) you have to have a functioning check engine light
6) Of course you need to have it all inspected by a ref
Now with all this in mind as well as what ever i haven't covered be prepared for some nonsense. I was shocked at how difficult they are makeing it to do swaps now adays. The purpose of these laws isn't to clean the air. The purpose is to generate revenue and make the consumer buy new cars ever 4-5 yrs.... I hate Cali smog law. Half of it is smoke mirrors and bullshit!!!!!! Good luck..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: