Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
The pump actually does not put out a lot of pressure, just volume. Pressure in the fuel rail is maintained by the fuel pressure regulator.

Looks sort of like this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get the correct pump though. Money well spent.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=GFP301

Hello Randy,
I've just replaced my fuel pump and um ..verified .. that all the fuel hoses need to be replaced as leaks are now springing up like a faery circle. So, looking to do that.. and looking at the fuel pressure regulator.

My question is.. how is the small hose behind the firewall accessed that connects to the fp regulator? remove the fuel tank cover? pull the transmission ?? Laughing
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
... all the fuel hoses need to be replaced as leaks are now springing up like a faery circle.

Is it OK if I LOL at that?! (and also appreciate your proper spelling of "faery")

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
...how is the small hose behind the firewall accessed that connects to the fp regulator?

Nothing has to come apart. All the hoses in the fuel system are accessible from either inside the engine compartment or from beneath the Bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

hat Scott said, the long hoses forward of the engine bay are under the bus, same as the fuel pump you replaced. Make sure that the tank is clean too if there was any rust or debris beyond normal in the fuel filter.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

ha! glad I made you chuckle with that. i've seen 'faery circle' on ticktok lately with some mushroom foraging videos and i like that celtic spelling too.

i changed the pump and got a big leak at the regulator. changed that hose and immediately got a leak at #2 injector... "ok i get it. they weren't joking." lol

thanks for the reply. i got to looking at the fp regulator on the firewall and my knees went weak. those hoses are hard to get on especially in small spaces.
trying to decide to replace it now or later. they're not cheap!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
hat Scott said, the long hoses forward of the engine bay are under the bus, same as the fuel pump you replaced. Make sure that the tank is clean too if there was any rust or debris beyond normal in the fuel filter.

tank is empty (see fuel pump replacement .. most of it went onto the driveway.
yeah Embarassed ) . finally got those vice grips adjusted. later rigged the old pump up to drain it completely but very little was left. maybe 1/4 gallon. so i put a few gallons of fresh in there just to rinse it through.

still in a no start scenario. but, given the leaky fuel lines i gotta chalk that up to divine intervention or i wouldve found out the hard way. well, first things first. i'll replace the lines. and check the injectors. seen some youtubes on how to bench test injectors. not there yet tho.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
i got to looking at the fp regulator on the firewall and my knees went weak. those hoses are hard to get on especially in small spaces.

It's true this one is in a tight spot. The best way to replace this hose is to remove the FPR from the tin so you can fasten the hose between the regulator and the fuel rail while things are on the workbench, then install the works to the engine tin. In fact it's recommended to remove the entire set of fuel rails from the engine and building these all up on the workbench, then installing the entire left and right side rail/injector setup in a large piece. Then you don't have to do so much work reaching through the engine access hatch. (photo for reference) In the photo you can see the FPR still attached to the fuel rail.

75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks SL …

Been pondering this job but never considered removing the intake tubes. I was going to remove the injectors with the rail…but that looks like it might be useful method to keep it structured.

Any suggestions on the return hose behind the regulator? Does the starter have to come out? (Auto transmission)

I started her up for second time yesterday… line from pump spraying fuel on the ground like crazy so I gotta get them all replaced.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Starter doesn't have to come out but it's tight above the starter for that line. Battery disconnected for sure, and I recommend completely draining the fuel tank before starting the job of replacing the fuel lines.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Just crawled under there…
Definitely cant be done on my bus with the starter in.
Heater tubes block going in from side.

So… starter removal, leave it alone, or pull it all out. Laughing
I have to choose. And since i dont have a shop, prob option 1 or 2.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Happy New Year !

Had plenty of good weather, but not quite enough fuel line to finish.
But I got a good chunk of it done.

And yes, they’re upside down in that pic. :,))

Laughing

75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Starter doesn't have to come out but it's tight above the starter for that line. Battery disconnected for sure, and I recommend completely draining the fuel tank before starting the job of replacing the fuel lines.

Any tricks to doing this?
Does removing the wheel dramatically improve access? Laying under the starter, I cant even see the return line. Its directly above the starter solenoid. And the heater tubes box it in. I guess removing those heater tubes may provide access, and more easily than the starter coming out. Any advice appreciated. Hate to do all the lines, except that one, etc
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

I don't recall removing the starter when I did my 1977 but there are bolts and things up there that are easier to reach with the starter removed.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Removing the accordian tube would help.
Jack up the bus and put it on 6 ton jack stands under the torsion tubes (chock the front wheels too), then slide under from the rear with your feet sticking out under the bumper, work a trouble light up on top of the transmission from the left side and all of a sudden everything will be revealed.

Exclamation Disconnect the battery, drain the gas and wear safety goggles for this job. Exclamation

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Removing the accordian tube would help.
Jack up the bus and put it on 6 ton jack stands under the torsion tubes (chock the front wheels too), then slide under from the rear with your feet sticking out under the bumper, work a trouble light up on top of the transmission from the left side and all of a sudden everything will be revealed.

Exclamation Disconnect the battery, drain the gas and wear safety goggles for this job. Exclamation

oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo beware of water heater pilot lights oooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooo . Oh wrong holiday Laughing
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

Ok I will have another look as prescribed. Very Happy

I’d come in from the side and it seemed totally impossoarus.

Thanks very much. Important as you know and I’ve learned (as these hoses keep spontaneously turning into sprinkler systems)
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

anyone ever try the porsche pump? aka the "bosch 044" - looks very similar to the OE bosch EFI pump ive dealt with on bays (is it the same - perhaps with just different fittings attached?)

i know what you're thinking - "sounds expensive" - but the bosch 044 is probably one of the most "knocked off" auto part in the world .. there are a million (sometimes very cheap) copies, including some napa branded versions, if i'm not mistaken.

typical copy:

on a related note, has anyone ever tried the rubber form-fitting encapsulation case they use to make them quieter? :)

i never noticed how loud they were until i had the pleasure of driving a Bus with a Subaru engine that idled like the engine was off.
i don't hear any engine, but i hear plenty of fuel pump, surprisingly.

anyone do anything to theirs to quiet it down? wrapping in foam, silicone, dynamat, etc.
i do wonder about the specific acoustics of those porsche accordion rubber bits
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

The Bosch 044...was for the longest time....my "go to" pump for any fuel injection system that was being highly tuned.

I spent years working with CIS....which is what it was designed for. Keep a couple of things in mind though

1. The 044 is a roller cell pump whose cells and check valve system are designed for both high pressure....and high VOLUME at that pressure rating. It was for Bosch high pressure (automotive) injection.....and ran the gamut from four cylinders to v-12's....with a requirement to put out roughly 2L per minute WHILE maintaining ~75-80 psi. It's no load rating is ~ 3.3 liters per minute or 200 liters per hour.

The problem is that to meet that requirement....they do not self prime well unless they have a feeder pump or a dedicated gravity sump around the pump.
Yes, when using an 044 with half that pressure and volume requirement..."most" of the time you can get away with it bit not always depending on your tank to pump relationship.

2. With that last information in mind.....the filter on 044 pumps should be on the high pressure side after the pump with a high volume dedicated pre-strainer on the inlet side. It can work through a filter on the load side no problem but can have issues aucking through a filter to feed itself.
There are plenty of high pressure filters out there.

3. If you are buying a NON-Bosch branded 044 "clone" or knock off....and getting a good price because of it.....more power to ya!

However.....BEWARE.....over the past 10 years ....and there is tons of information on the web ....just Google "Bosch 044 counterfeit"....a huge portion of the Bosch branded 044 pumps are counterfeit. Some work well...many do not. Too many pumps that leak out of the box, do not make required pressure or volume, have incorrect fitting sizes or have a short life.

If you find a Bosch 044 that is NOT in an original NOS box and is not obviously NOS...and it says "Made in Germany".....it's counterfeit.

All of the Bosch 044 pumps made in about the past 20 years are made in the Czech Republic. 7-8 years ago we were seeing new 044 pumps in modern Bosch boxes....even with the correct hologram seals on the box....that were counterfeit.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
Happy New Year !

Had plenty of good weather, but not quite enough fuel line to finish.
But I got a good chunk of it done.

And yes, they’re upside down in that pic. :,))

Laughing

Replace the injector seals while you have it apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Electric fuel pump alternatives FAQ Reply with quote

New seals in there.
Seems to be a smidge large but using them anyway.

I didnt put a clamp on the bottoms.
Probably get the chance to do it again.

Laughing

Got my tanks fuel lines done today.
Removing the accordian tube and getting All the way under did the trick.

Claustrophobic… glad its done!!
Right over all the starter wires. Bad place to have a leak!

Thanks for the guidance! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Starter stayed put.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: