Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix that Poptop push bar!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know if it needs to be fixed?
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first sign that got me suspicious...

Ahwahnee wrote:

Before: The hub has cut halfway thru the push bar allowing the inner portion of the joint to project forward of the outer portion:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After: A correct fit with no inner damage will have the inner portion of the joint concealed w/i the outer portion.

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tread is very helpful
Here' the one on my new acquisition

Is in an '85 and seems to be spring loaded, which should make it loads of fun to fix !
Right?

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
Question, I had my top off to replace the canvas. I don't recall, Is this thing going to jump apart like a wind up clock or is it pretty tame to work with?

Spring loaded BEWARE!!

I would not recommend trying to take it off with the roof in a down position as the springs are in the loaded position. I though because of the weight of the roof that the springs were insignificant - nope - lots of force.

Put the roof up. Hold the roof up with a pole and undo the bar system - it is still a bit of a PITA, but safely unloaded (mostly).

Hopefully getting my grooves welded up this weekend. Then getting the Bombay lift help.

Mike

Those springs are very VERY skookum. (strong). As per above comments, they contain a great deal of (static?) energy when top down.

I did a write up and pics on my bushing repair (aimed at the "everyman" who has access to epoxy, 1/2" copper (edit: 3/4" copper) and sockets and stuff) and cable replacement. Those cable/spring arrangements make a big difference in aiding top opening and closing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/PopTopStrutCableAndSpringEtc#

I may have missed some details and hopefully I corrected any mistakes in the comments, but the pics should show enough. For me, once top up and properly propped, the spring tension was released and the arms could be safely removed. A landscaping "2x4" and peices of 2x4 underneath, between poptop latch and rear bench seat front, worked. Just beware that THE TOP IS REALLY HEAVY. Support it properly. The poptop arms can be removed with the top down or mostly down, but they need to be held together properly. The PITA part can happen when you want to release the tension, arms on the bench.

If you loose ("kapingggg") any of the lock washers for the pivot pins, (really I don't know if they should be reused) clevis pins of similar or same size, can be had at your local hardware store. I found those handy for R&R'ing arms during test period (making the cables). Some of those pins are still in place and should be just fine.

The cable I had the ball swaged onto has held up just fine for at least a year now. I installed a "new" cable on each set of arms.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racerrojo wrote:
...Is in an '85 and seems to be spring loaded, which should make it loads of fun to fix ! Right?

I propped the top in the full up position (braced with a 2x4 front & center) to take all load off the arms. In that position the thing is disarmed and 'mostly harmless'.

Once undone at the roofline and at the top it can be easily bent enough to remove. Once on the floor the removal of the little bolt / nyloc nut lets the works come apart.

If all you are doing is repairing the worn slot in the 'knee' then undoing the cable from its slot and separating those parts is as far as you need go. More work is needed if you're dealing with a cable failure.

As I recall, it helped to pay attention and have diagrams or photos as you go. Also good to label all pieces 'L' and 'R'. Simple to reassemble but some planning spares you some head-scratching moments.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: What Size Interior Bushings? Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the inner diameter of the push-bar? I like the idea of filling in the ends to make them solid with those bushings from Ace... I'd like to have them on hand when Winston's top is off him and disassembled for the tent replacement.

I wonder if Ace would also have 3/4" bronze flanges to weld in for a better bearing surface... I imagine things will be clearer when I have the whole thing out. Les Alelier suggests just reversing the bar, that will be part of the solution, I'm sure.

The parts are only out of alignment on the driver's side, but we'll see what's going on when it's all apart.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Interior Bushings? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Does anyone remember the inner diameter of the push-bar? I like the idea of filling in the ends to make them solid with those bushings from Ace...

I think the items I used from Ace were 1/2" diameter and 1" in length. These are them... why didn't include a ruler in this shot?

I thought wrong -- on examination of the bar these must be more like 5/8" but my bar is in situ and I cannot measure directly.

I couldn't find any bushings of a suitable size so I just cut 4 slices from some steel pipe. Possibly easier to weld with all steel rather than bronze.

The result is so over-built compared to the original that materials used and precision are probably not critical.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you, Ahwahnee, for the follow-up, much appreciated. O Welders, IS it a better idea to use steel pipe or bronze flanges? I distrust copper, I know what a soft metal it can be.

Best!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes -- I got to thinking about it and went out to the garage for a look -- 1/2" is surely too small, were probably more like 5/8".

Would have been some common size as Ace only had these in common increments.

I don't think choice of materials is that much of an issue here -- the wear that occurs originally was because of the 'knife edge' of that fitting rubbing against the push bar. Any metal that adds width to that contact should be adequate to protect it.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Further Research Reply with quote

I see from closer examination that Ahwahnee didn't drill out the existing hole on the moldings holding the push bar, he just had two slices of that 13/15" steel pipe tack-welded on either side of that dratted knife edge. I'd love to know how thick those slices of steel pipe were.

Did the 5/8" outer-diameter bushings stuck into the worn areas interfere with the spring inside the push bar in any way? Those in place, the metal welded into the grooved areas and ground smooth, that's clear even to me.

Shocked

I have looked into bronze sleeve bushings. They are made in 7/8" inner-diameter size, various widths, oil-impregnated and designed to lubricate in areas where inducing lubrication externally is difficult. That's rather spot-on. Not sure about locking those flanges in place, though. You CAN, I have found, weld bronze to steel, I'm not sure if you can weld oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bushings to steel. Maybe weld in a piece of steel pipe with the bronze flange locked or edge-welded into that...

Ahwahnee's method wouldn't present the smoothest imaginable surface to the push bar, but he certainly managed a surface wider than the knife edge, and the gaps between the four 'sleeves' and the knife-edges would perhaps act to hold lubricant.

They make some REALLY impressive lubricants these days, some of which bond to the metal permanently. Ahwwahnee's way of doing things doesn't require any drilling, putting in the bronze sleeve bearing would, and there's the locking issue. You can get the sleeve bearings in various thicknesses.

Getting ready to do this, just soliciting further thoughts before plunging in.

Best!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion copious amounts or regular application of lubes is not needed (or desirable) here. Once you have that contact spread over more than that 'knife edge' it'll should fine forever with just a touch of silicone grease or what have you prior to assembly. More lube will just stain the canvas that lies next to it when folded down.

Even if you camp a lot and put that top up and down nearly every day that is only a few dozen movements per year -- not a high wear situation once those bushings are on there.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Speaking of the Grease... Reply with quote

Well, I hired a good welder to do Ahwahnee's fix, and once he figured out what I wanted--and how bad the original design was--he did a stellar job, even trued up where the pipe slices joined up with the old knife-edge. He suggested that I use synthetic grease on the new bearing surface, another friend, with very long experience in metal fabrication, looked over the repaired parts and suggested graphite anti-seize. That wouldn't flow much.

Pending reassembly... Your thoughts?

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: I HAVE THE POOOOOOOOOWER! Reply with quote

Aha! I now have an ability Everett must envy! I KNOW HOW TO KEEP VW Owners from offering an opinion!

ASK THEM FOR ONE!

Shocked

Seriously, folks... Synthetic grease or anti-seize on the pop top bar?

Choose one. Please?

Best!
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic grease, anti seize is for bolts...
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
Synthetic grease, anti seize is for bolts...

I would tend to agree since Anti seize, while it is a grease, is designed to prevent bolts from coming loose accidentally, which tells me that it must have some gripping properties which would be contraindicated for a lubrication purpose.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern would be staining the canvas -- antiseize leaves a dark metallic stain on any cloth (or skin) it gets on -- I would favor the synthetic and very little of that.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
...Anti seize...is designed to prevent bolts from coming loose...

WRONG. It is to prevent them from seizing. Rolling Eyes

msinabottle: use either -or- whatever you have on hand.
ANYTHING will be better than the original design (which did hold up for a fair portion of 30 years...right?)
In combination with your modification, a little grease (any kind) will go a long way.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would make a good commercial product - could do it on an exchange basis thru Van-Cafe or GW
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you, Gentlemen. I have that red synthetic moly grease we're supposed to use (and I have used it!) on the shifter mechanism, I'll put a film of that on the wearing parts before I reassemble them.

I know there are modern lubricants that are supposed to bond with the actual metal, they're used a lot on firearms. I have a feeling they'd be a bit expensive. I appreciate the reassurance and thoughtful input.

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: A Question Reply with quote

Reassembled the mechanism, with a thin coat of synthetic grease on both surfaces, applied by finger--went so far as to clean the steel up with baby oil and steel wool (Really works) and then Mother's Rim Polish (works even more) and apply wax--for looks and protection, and it'll be easy to find in dim light!

Now, on each of the lower legs of the lifting mechanism are the ends of the internal springs, with that sort of plunger thing at the ends. Am I right to assume that the lower two pins of the lifting mechanism need to be above those plunger things to keep tension on the spring when I reassemble the whole thing?

I'll note that I have one of the later EKTA versions, and I went page by page through it and couldn't find an exploded view of the pop-top!

Thank you very much in advance.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: