Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix that Poptop push bar!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the rebuild of the push bar per Ahwahnee's fix, put it back on and now it's impossible to raise the top with the bar. I have to push the top between the latch and skylight. It's actually easy with the push bar helping. Then reach back for the bar and push it up the rest of the way. Maybe the above is the right way?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellsir, for that first bit of movement the push bar doesn't have much leverage so I can see where simply pushing the top up a bit might be needed to get it moving.

Now that the joints are sorted, you might think about adding Pop Top Shocks from Jack Bombay -- they give you that initial push automatically so the top 'wants' to be up a bit as soon as you release it.

Pop Top Shocks
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Wellsir, for that first bit of movement the push bar doesn't have much leverage so I can see where simply pushing the top up a bit might be needed to get it moving.

Now that the joints are sorted, you might think about adding Pop Top Shocks from Jack Bombay -- they give you that initial push automatically so the top 'wants' to be up a bit as soon as you release it.

Pop Top Shocks

I think the Pop Top Shocks are on my list of things to get. I wanted to fix the push up bar issue first as I thought that would be a cure all. Nope, now more money to spend.
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevadaesh wrote:
Did the rebuild of the push bar per Ahwahnee's fix, put it back on and now it's impossible to raise the top with the bar. I have to push the top between the latch and skylight. It's actually easy with the push bar helping. Then reach back for the bar and push it up the rest of the way. Maybe the above is the right way?

The bar isn't meant for you to push on until it's unfolded some. The geometry is such that you'll be simply trying to tear things apart, rather than lift the top. Push the top up directly until it's not convenient to reach, then use the bar.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not get into the position where the push bar is against your neck and your jacket is caught on the latch mechanism.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I open the top by pushing on the latch itself to open the top a foot or so until the pop-top shocks take over and make it very easy to finish the job with the bar mechanism.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shadowofmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Diferent desine Reply with quote

I have different mechanism. My "pulley" are not flat, but more like a regular block with smaller inner diameter. So, I can't make a hole to put a bolt thru. Instead Z-end of a cable goes into upper part of supporting frame. So, I guess I have to find a cable with ready Z-ending. Does ANYONE knows where I can get one?
[img][/img]
smirby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Pop-top bar fix - advice needed... Reply with quote

Dear vanagon friends...

I have an extreme case of the pop-top push bar problem. I discovered this during a tent replacement, and decided I really needed to deal with this before finishing the tent, since the push bar on the driver side was so far out of alignment (worn through, almost to the end), that that side was drooping by an inch or so.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://bit.ly/1rvRMd6

Once I removed the whole mechanism, the wear on the other side was significant:

http://bit.ly/12T5iTL

But the wear on the other side was so bad that it sheared off, shortening the push bar by an inch on the driver's side. I am now looking for either a replacement bar, or some way to lengthen it...

Advice most welcome.

For others exploring this problem, some observations:

If you are removing this whole assembly, some tips:

Brace the top in the fully up position, using a 2X4 or something. This takes all the tension off the springs inside the lifting mechanism.

The top connections, where it attaches to the pop-top, come off relatively easily, as per instructions for removing the pop-top for installing the tent.

The bottom connections, where it attaches to the van, are impossible to remove, not with the trim the way it is on my 85, anyway. However, it is relatively straightforward to remove the pin (bending off the little toothed washer thing) and take the lifting mechanism off, leaving the connectors in place on the van.

...r
smirby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevadaesh wrote:
Great thread, lots of info, but have a question - How do you get the nuts off the front mounts for the push bar.

The support bar doesn't allow a socket in there for removal. I have lifted the bar where it is vertical and I still can't seem to get a tool in there. ????

Gary

I ended up leaving the bottom mounts on the van, and removed the mechanism by taking out the hinge pin. It has a small (probably one-time use) toothed washer that holds it in place. You pry that off, remove the pin, and leave the mounts in place.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI: Having a roof top box makes this problem get worse fast...
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one could get some adhesive-backed UHMW plastic in say a 1/16" thickness, cut a narrow strip, and stick it into the groove that is worn into the shaft. If the shaft is not worn too much this might stop further wear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodknock wrote:
...If the shaft is not worn too much this might stop further wear.

The problem is not so much one of 'wear' but a cutting action as the bearing surface is thin and acts like a hacksaw against the thin tubing.

Recall what happens when you hand saw through a tube or pipe -- slow going at first as you're cutting through solid material, but once you get past the top of the tube and into the two sides, cutting is quick and easy.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top bar fix - advice needed... Reply with quote

smirby wrote:
...I am now looking for either a replacement bar...

I have a replacement lift mechanism with bar listed in the classifieds.
See the second ad down when you click on the [ads] button below
smirby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Phase one of the repair... Reply with quote

I am in the midst of a push bar repair. The driver's side on mine was so badly worn it had bent inside the hinge area and dropped about 1/2"...

Took the pieces to a local welder and he did an *excellent* job of rebuilding. Unfortunately, I didn't leave him the outer part - he said he didn't need that - and so the fixed cross bar is just a *tiny* bit too large to fit.

That said, it is very robust...

Repair saga, part 1: the broken pieces:
https://plus.google.com/100711659574041461585/posts/ALKLn6vpAZb

Repair saga, part 2: the (partial) repair:
https://plus.google.com/100711659574041461585/posts/gvT59u2oNxY

On Monday, I'll be taking the outer part back to the welder for a (hopefully final) fix. I think (hope) it will be pretty straightforward.

I probably should have bought sanchius' used one!

...r
smirby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: final (part two) of push-bar fix on '85 Westfalia GL Reply with quote

As per my previous post, I had to do this in two steps. The first step was to take *most* of the parts to the welder and have him construct a new bar and rebuild the upper arms (did both sides).

Unfortunately, I didn't leave him the lower arm, the part with the two plates, shaped like a D. When the new push bar and the upper bars were fitted in, the new push bar - now slightly larger in outside diameter - would no longer fit.

Took the whole thing back to him, he saw immediately what was wrong, and created a new hole in the "D" with a (much) sturdier bracket that the push bar goes through.

Feels like it will outlast the vehicle now. And, with my new pop-top life assists from jackbombay, there is a LOT less stress on the bar, anyway.

If anyone is living in SW BC or NW WA and needs a similar fix, I am happy to share what I had done, and connect you to the welder. He said he could (now) do it all for about $100, given that he's figured out the whole system.

...r
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I just read through this thread and realized this has been the issue with my poptop. I thought the poptop shocks had gone bad and bought a new pair with no real improvement. Guess it's time to break out the welder.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance this issue could be a cause of loose fitting canvas...
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great tutorial! Just fixed mine today with split steel spacers from my local hardware store, welded slot closed with MIG and ground down. 1 inch steel hollow welding pipe worked for the new bushings. Biggest problem was the internal distortion of the cross bar ends. Took a fair amount of internal filing and reaming to make it round enough to accept the split steel spacer. I can't believe how much easier the roof goes up and down now!
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar ! Reply with quote

When you start having trouble closing the pop top, it maybe time to make this repair. Inserting the 5/8 of spacer and welding up the tube ends was not too hard with my cheap mig welder. Instead of welding iron pipe to the pivot hole, I ended up drilling a couple holes and bolting 3/4" washers to the supports to increase the contact area.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar ! Reply with quote

^^

That looks like a nice strong easier fix for the everyman owner. Even if one just epoxied the slug of steel in the failing points at cross bar, I bet it'd last a long time.

I did my repair with the "everyman" in mind (someone w/o a welder) using copper pipe at upper arm and slug epoxied in cross bar. Although its holding up, it could obviously be done better.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: