Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Well, now that the van is running well it's time for SMOG... I've got an exhaust from a 2.1 on there and need to swap the 02 sensor.

From what I'm reading, some folks have had trouble with the Bosch "plug and play." I see a Walker 02 sensor available online, but otherwise it's looking like Bosch is the most readily available option. Also see NGK @ Napa.

What do y'all prefer?

Regarding the coolant hose, there's a pin hole leak in the top most hose that comes off of the coolant tank. I'm looking at autohauz and similar sites, but am unsure which is the proper hose

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/025121130A

thanks, Vanagonauts

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

I just used the cheapest Bosch one-wire I could find, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IK7YC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But perhaps since you are using a 2.1 exhaust you need the 2 wire version.

Anyway, I see as I check what I got that is now 12 years since I installed it. Had no problems though perhaps it is time to swap it again.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IK7YC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I see as I check what I got that is now 12 years since I installed it. Had no problems though perhaps it is time to swap it again.

right on. thanks.

I need a 1 wire since it's a 1.9 engine. got a brand new 2.1, 2 wire o2 sensor. Doesn't work!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

right on. thanks.

I need a 1 wire since it's a 1.9 engine. got a brand new 2.1, 2 wire o2 sensor. Doesn't work!
I think I used an NGK O2 sensor on my 1.9. I had a Walker in there for the first year, but it seemed to be flaky at times so I swapped out for the NGK and haven't changed it since. Next year will probably be time for a new one along with other Tune Up items, but for now, with me correcting the Copper Coax Shield around the inner wire of the Vehicle O2 sensor harness, all is working well.... Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
...I need a 1 wire since it's a 1.9 engine. got a brand new 2.1, 2 wire o2 sensor. Doesn't work!

I think you can use a two wire O2 sensor on an engine that previously had a one wire probe. It may even be an advantageous mod.

The extra wire is for a heating element that gets the sensor working quicker as it doesn't have to wait to be heated up by the exhaust.

Note: I have not actually done this so you may want to confirm with someone who has.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:
...I need a 1 wire since it's a 1.9 engine. got a brand new 2.1, 2 wire o2 sensor. Doesn't work!

I think you can use a two wire O2 sensor on an engine that previously had a one wire probe. It may even be an advantageous mod.

The extra wire is for a heating element that gets the sensor working quicker as it doesn't have to wait to be heated up by the exhaust.

Note: I have not actually done this so you may want to confirm with someone who has.

so in Bosch Vanagon form, there's one-wire and three-wire sensors... three wire providing two wires for the heater and one for signal. two wire sensors, have the signal and ground but aren't vanagon numbers.

a three-wire should work fine in a one wire system with the two wire plug just ty-wrapped out of the way. but best to get the one-wire Bosch for a 1.9. because of magic of ziconia which has a defined output across an oxygen differential, pretty much all sensors work if a) their threads fit the bung, and b) the connectors work or are changed out to fit.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

so in Bosch Vanagon form, there's one-wire and three-wire sensors... three wire providing two wires for the heater and one for signal. two wire sensors, have the signal and ground but aren't vanagon numbers.

a three-wire should work fine in a one wire system with the two wire plug just ty-wrapped out of the way. but best to get the one-wire Bosch for a 1.9. because of magic of ziconia which has a defined output across an oxygen differential, pretty much all sensors work if a) their threads fit the bung, and b) the connectors work or are changed out to fit.

that's really helpful. thanks. I ordered the bosch one wire today.

I'll try the 2.1 o2 sensor for kicks. I tried connecting while engine was running and it cut right out.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

that's really helpful. thanks. I ordered the bosch one wire today.

I'll try the 2.1 o2 sensor for kicks. I tried connecting while engine was running and it cut right out.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Quote:

That’s bad practice in general. If the signals are going to stuff on circuit boards which I believe they do, it’s REALLY bad practice.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred O2 sensor for 1.9 and coolant hose question Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

That’s bad practice in general. If the signals are going to stuff on circuit boards which I believe they do, it’s REALLY bad practice.

good to know. thank you. I'm waiting on an appropriate Bosch o2 sensor.

I haven't run this van with a proper exhaust or o2 sensor yet. I'm curious to see what difference it makes

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: