Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barbed fitting on a Solex
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just got my new 34/3 and it came stock with a barbed fitting.

Mines EMPI.

Does anyone know what size barb I should get for my empi 34-3? mine broke when I was connecting my gas line to it. Is it a 1/4" hose X 1/16" NPT barbed fitting? or is it 1/4" hose x 1/8" NPT?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

As my copper sleeve pulled out of my carb I am about to tap the hole and install a threaded fitting so it doesn't come out again.

I heard mention of using a fluid when tapping the hole. What fluid? And does one use anything on the threads of the new fitting before screwing it into the carb to prevent leaking around the threads or is that a non issue?

Thanks.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

If you don't have "tap oil" or "cutting fluid", a drop or two of motor oil can even do the job. It helps lube the cutting threads of the tap.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Those zinc carb bodies are so soft I didn't bother using tap oil. I remember using a permatex gasoline safe thread sealant/pipe dope but I'm not sure it's necessary since the pressure is what, under 5psi? Lowe's/Home Depot has pipe dope but I don't know if it's fuel safe.
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

So I used a bit of oil and it worked beautifully. However, the taper on my tap is too long so I bottomed out in the hole before the full thread width was cut. I am reluctant to cut or grind the end of the tap to shorten it as someone suggested as it will likely mess up the leading cutting threads on the tap and mess up my existing threads in the carb if I try to use it. I would rather use a tap with a shorter tapered end if someone can provide the name of a supplier they used to buy their tap (that worked). Thanks for the assistance.
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:
So I used a bit of oil and it worked beautifully. However, the taper on my tap is too long so I bottomed out in the hole before the full thread width was cut. I am reluctant to cut or grind the end of the tap to shorten it as someone suggested as it will likely mess up the leading cutting threads on the tap and mess up my existing threads in the carb if I try to use it. I would rather use a tap with a shorter tapered end if someone can provide the name of a supplier they used to buy their tap (that worked). Thanks for the assistance.

I believe those are referred to as blind taps.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

plug taps, but they are for straight threads. Pipe taps have plug tap ends, then tapered threads

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Anyone have a source for a 1/16-27 tap that will work for me? The one in the first post is no longer available. Thanks.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:
Anyone have a source for a 1/16-27 tap that will work for me? The one in the first post is no longer available. Thanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1%2F16+x+27+pipe+t...p;ie=UTF-8

Sometimes Google search is your friend...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:

This is different than what is shown in the first post here but I have this one saved in my Amazon list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QTZ3NM/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Yes, I am quite familiar with Google search. There are lots of sources but I don't want to buy more of what I already have. I need a tap source from someone who has actually purchased one, used it and was able to install the new threaded fitting. Just want to get my carb put back together so I can drive the car.

Any assistance is very much appreciated.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:
Yes, I am quite familiar with Google search. There are lots of sources but I don't want to buy more of what I already have. I need a tap source from someone who has actually purchased one, used it and was able to install the new threaded fitting. Just want to get my carb put back together so I can drive the car.

Any assistance is very much appreciated.

Sort of puts yourself in a box.... A tap is a tap... We have industrial standards for manufacturing so you don't put your self in a box...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Irish911 wrote:

This is different than what is shown in the first post here but I have this one saved in my Amazon list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QTZ3NM/

Quote:
I need a tap source from someone who has actually purchased one, used it and was able to install the new threaded fitting

Ooops, I realized I read your post wrong and posted a link to a similar fitting.
The fitting in the first post is NLA but the tap still comes up for me via the Amazon link there.
The guy in the first post said he used it so that should be sufficient?

Tap Link again
https://www.amazon.com/National-Pipe-Taper-Speed-Steel/dp/B000U7LSPO/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:

I would try screwing the brass fitting into the hole you tapped already. You don't have to bottom out the tap or run the tap it full length for pipe thread. Just don't tighten the fuel fitting too tight. Pipe threads are tapered and you run the risk of blowing out the hole and cracking the carburetor housing if you force your fuel fitting into the taper too much. Also, it's O.K. if threads are still showing after you screw your fuel fitting in. Pipe thread isn't like a bolt. It doesn't have to be screwed all the way in to seal or be tight. Use some teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads and just cinch it down. The taper will do most of the sealing. Just don't tighten it too much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

I ended up grinding the tapered tap I had. I would grind off 1-1.5mm very slowly so as not to distort the existing cutting threads and then retap the hole. Did this about 4-5 times and ended up grinding off about 7mm of the tap. Cleaned out the shavings from the hole and tap each time I did this. It was successful however in that I got the hole in the carb tapped so that I could get about 2/3rds of the threads on the fitting screwed into the carb. Snugged it tight and the engine is back up and running again. No leaks (knock on wood).
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbed fitting on a Solex Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:
It was successful however in that I got the hole in the carb tapped so that I could get about 2/3rds of the threads on the fitting screwed into the carb. Snugged it tight and the engine is back up and running again. No leaks (knock on wood).

That's awesome you were able to get the fitting to screw in further than usual. It can't hurt to have more thread contact that's for sure.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: