Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

60 Single Cab Build-Pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness you work fast! Awesome use of scrap metals too. I'm always complaining about the price of steel for my projects. Maybe I just need to do some dumpster diving!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just that you have to be on the lookout for the right kind of thicknesses and flexibilty of the metal. I've used about 6 2 lb spools of welding wire and left over vw metal from other projects. It's all motivation in knowing you can spend money on the parts that NEED to be new, and get creative for stuff that can b used. I find I'm spending most of the metal working money on grinding, cutting, and sanding discs.

I'm the type of guy who really needs a plasma cutter. I'm ready to graduate from handcutting everything. I think it's important to learn how metal behaves by hand first, though.

I saved $600 by making my own treasure chest floor, but you have to be willing to spend 10 hours trimming it down, transport, having friends to help, etc.. I chose the time route instead of money. I bet this is how guys like Gerson all got started.

I don't have pics, but I have a core engine and about 85 percent new or good used parts ready to go in as well. The chassis is getting blasted and everything sprayed w rust bullet.

I also broke my knee very badly last year. I have designed a hybrid cable/hydraulic clutch setup for my disability using a vanagon master cyl, totally non hacked. I'll get pics of that together as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know your a very crafty old school typ of person your father granfather would of been very proud of...that is all very much a compliment in the highest regards..its a pleasure watching you work. and create. You know the term "when life gives you lemons"? well my friend you dont make lemonaid, you make Lemon meringue pie! keep posting and kudos to ya!

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what you are doing! Im working on my 57scab and doing some same things. I started attacking my wheelwells today. I have a question. I see that you cut the outer panel above the inner well. Did you re-weld this well back to the outer panel? (spot weld) I was thinking about replacing the panel all the way up above the inner well to replace some damage. Just wonder how much of a pain its going to be. Keep up the good work!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malanthius, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I see the p.o. cut out a reinforcement rail behind the outer skin. It was cut out a long time ago. I had a 67 with cut wheel wells too. Not sure the differences between the years. I'll look closer to see what was cut out. A rectangular piece going left to right, box shaped, was hacked at some point. When I pull the tranny to rust bullet the underside, I'll get in there and weld the rail back in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
Malanthius, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I see the p.o. cut out a reinforcement rail behind the outer skin. It was cut out a long time ago. I had a 67 with cut wheel wells too. Not sure the differences between the years. I'll look closer to see what was cut out. A rectangular piece going left to right, box shaped, was hacked at some point. When I pull the tranny to rust bullet the underside, I'll get in there and weld the rail back in.

Well on my 57, the outer panel of the Wheelwell is spot welded to the inner well. Im talking about the inner well that is curved. Looking at one of your pictures you can see it. There should be a flat lip along that edge that was spot welded to the outer sheet that makes up the side of the SC. Hope that makes sense. If you are looking at your SC from the side that inner well is in the shape of a frown. (upside down smile) Razz There are also the support rails above it as well.

Mine was hit slightly and the PO drilled a few holes and pulled it out a little then filled the rest with about a 1/4' of bondo. Sad I took that all off and want to replace most of that wavey panel. I found that spot weld along the inner well and was wondering if you were planning on doing that. But from your pictures it looks like the lip is gone for you to do it.

I don't own a welder unfortunatly but am going to try and borrow one from someone. Ive only ARC and gas welded in the past. And even with that I didnt do a whole lot of it. Wink Hope im up for the task! I have to be due to my budget! Cant wait to see your wells installed!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know which one you are talking about now. I thought I remembered seeing the p.o. cut them right underneath that seam. They weren't cut out quite as high as some others. I think they basically cut right under that seam as a template. The arches they cut were too nice to have been eyeballed.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
I know which one you are talking about now. I thought I remembered seeing the p.o. cut them right underneath that seam. They weren't cut out quite as high as some others. I think they basically cut right under that seam as a template. The arches they cut were too nice to have been eyeballed.

now I know where the confusion is coming from! The one picture of your well I was looking at made it look like I saw that inner lip. But it was just a shadow from the black markings from your welds! Sorry about that. Yes your were cut below that seam. I have some damage to correct above that seam unfortunately. Not sure how I should handle it. Cut out the wavey panel? Or hammer it as straight as I can and fill the rest?

Where did you get those clamps that hold the panel on while you weld? What are they called?
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4. Harbor Freight tools, they are called butt weld clamps. Mine are .040" thick. Your filler should be less than 1/8" thick, if you have to glob more than that on there, you need to do some shrinking to the metal. There's different ways of doing this and I am still learning. Check out the body work forum. Just make sure when you start welding, you practice methods that keep the metal from warping. Otherwise the whole bus will be wavy as hell.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how much dirt is inside your frame rails

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Lid:

This is the first time I've been able to see the decklid on the truck after fixing the hinges. It looks to be the original one. Dents and creases line up with original paint on the body and apron. It looked pretty straight until I mounted it

Last edited by TinCanFab on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut the bed framing open and fish the threaded hinge plate out with a magnet

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver Dogleg:

Its a lil wavy because of the monstrous tire size it has. Probably pulled hard on the lip and stretched it a bit
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I was able to stitch weld my drivers side wheel well last night! I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself having never MIG welded before. No gas used and was a harbor freight one I borrowed from a friend.

Question? Are you filling in the welds compleatly? Or will there be pin holes that will be filled with body filler? If so what would be the biggest holes I should leave? Anyone feel free to answer. Smile
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been filling all the holes completely. I just lost the pic of the dogleg patch that was finished.

Also, technically MIG means metal inert gas welding, which is a wire feed welder. If you didn't have a gas bottle hooked up, it is probably set up for flux core wire.

When you say "pinholes" do you mean that there are pinholes in your welds?? That is a sign of contaminated weld and needs to be redone, it is no good. If this is the case, you MUST have gas shiedling your welds! Don't mean to sound like I know it all, just trying to save you the headache of brittle and weak welds. You need either an inert gas or wire with a chemical flux inside to keeps contaminants out of the weld puddle while it cools
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the welds are good. I meant the spaces between the weld points. I keep jumping around to try to avoid getting the panel too hot. Im afraid to get a real bead going. So my question was, do I just keep jumping around until there are no spaces left? I think it sounds like the answer is yes. Very Happy Got the passenger side on last night. They both seem very solid with some good penetration. Im going to go over them today and fill in the spaces. Your SC is coming along nice!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner Driver Door:

Someone cut out the support piece for the door lock linkage. At some point duct tape was used to try to make it work. Nope. This finger keeps the actuator rod from bending side to side when you pull the inner door handle.

Passenger door-what it's supposed to look like

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the pedal pan and painted it. It was loaded with spray on undercoating
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Outriggers:

Both were completely packed with dirt!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 26

Jump to: