Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Vponder,

Going to upgrade to a racing fuel cell, this is the first couple of upgrades I will be doing before I strip down the Empi Sportster for a major over haul.

Paint, electrical, suspension, engine,tranny, new interior and new canvas top.

And of course a functional roll bar.

Hopefully by the end of next summer.

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thats going to be a big change cant wait to see it, what color you going with with ? Here is a pic of mine years ago before it was painted black I found the pic on the brothers of the guy I got it from. It was also maroon to at some point some of that still showing under the front area of the cowl. But your rebuild will be interesting and exciting to see.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

VPONDER,

That looks really cool.

I am shooting for a dark grey (battleship or gunmetal), I will have two different tops made black of course and maybe a dark tan.

Checked on gas tank today, rust seems to be in tank but not much. Still and issue, in your part of the country have you had issues with fuel?

Tony
Bakersfield.CA
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
VPONDER,

That looks really cool.

I am shooting for a dark grey (battleship or gunmetal), I will have two different tops made black of course and maybe a dark tan.

Checked on gas tank today, rust seems to be in tank but not much. Still and issue, in your part of the country have you had issues with fuel?

Tony
Bakersfield.CA
As in what with Fuel causing rust ? On my buggy I cant see in the tank through the neck, My filters are not showing much dirt right now, the pick up is in the bottom on the tank to. I want to one day maybe get a tank made out of aluminum that way it would never rust.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea. The only reason I choose the racing cell, they are engineering for hard impacts. Empi's and other kit cars dont have much in the way in the case of front or rear impact.

Price around the tanks.

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
That sounds like a great idea. The only reason I choose the racing cell, they are engineering for hard impacts. Empi's and other kit cars dont have much in the way in the case of front or rear impact.

Price around the tanks.

Tony
I would need mine built to the size I have due to were it sits in the chassis below the back bed maybe one day LOL
turbodaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

The original Sportsters built before the production units came out used VW bus gas tanks under the front of the bed. One of those might work in your case and be relatively inexpensive.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

turbodaves wrote:
The original Sportsters built before the production units came out used VW bus gas tanks under the front of the bed. One of those might work in your case and be relatively inexpensive.

Dave
Thanks Ill have to keep that in mind Vince
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

A Couple of nice sportsters in classifieds this week. Still patiently waiting on the barn find I talked about earlier this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Great to see a interest in the Empi Sportsters. I realized I have owned my since 2006 and really the big ticket item has been the transaxle a few years back.

Tells you about the basics of vw platform with the unique body of the Empi Sportster.

Tony
Bakersfield.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Yea the Sportster is a fun vehicle and different. I finally got my front end riding softer. But I discovered that one of the new wheels I bought for the front is not right. I called the company and they offered me another wheel for 40.00 free shipping the wheel is regular 72.99.
They even put the wheel on their machine to see if it was straight and I was able to talk to the guy that did that. The wheel I got seems to be out of round even though the machine zeroed it out as in Balanced. it took alot of weight . I took the new wheel and my adapter to the tire place and had them spin it up and it checked out good. The old one had the machine saying recommended wheel replacement. These wheels are new to the company so I dont know if they ve had any other problems with them. Seems the powder coating is really good and was a good match in color for my back wheels which are by a different company. It was to cold to drive the buggy the other day thats why I only took the new wheel in to run on the machine. Hopefully today at around noon Im going to take the tire in and have it switched should be about 60 degrees buy then.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Great to hear Vponder!

Empi Sportster with a little cheer. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Did you see the blue one for sale on Craigslist ( Sacramento ) 2500.00 has a different hood arrangement. Merry Christmas
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Vponder,

No, I will check it out.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. MAY 2018 BE A BETTER YEAR FOR YOU. KEEP THE EMPI SPORTSTERS ROLLING!
pugwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Happy New Year guys, got hold of a set of plans and I have started my build, just doing the chassis now.
Any sites or source3 of info would be appreciated TIA Blue Bus
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Pugwash,

Your best bet is the internet and The Samba.

It is a straight forward buggy, fun to drive.

Keep us posted on your build

Best,
Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

WHERES every body ? LOL , My next add will be getting a tow bar made, thinking of having something made to bolt up to the "tabs" that are already welded on the front beam. But I want the hitch coupler to be able to un pin and store on the buggy. The other part that stays on the buggy will swing down under the front nose piece . I also need to get a brace made to go from the roll bar to the windshield frame to see if it will help with the harmonics of the front end.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

Lets see some new pics of your Empi Sportster, it can be in full running mode or in the process of getting it going.

Weather is warming up.

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I recently had a brace made to go from the windshield back to the roll bar. I've had a weird shake that comes and goes every few seconds and I learned from reading a thread on here a guy suggested tieing the windshield to the roll bar. Haven't take it out yet due to raining today. The screws that were put in are self taping so I hope they hold.
My friend that made it said that , that was some tuff drilling into that stainless so I guess if they work loose I'll just get a new bit and drill all the way through and put on a self locking nut. He said that those screws were good. In case if the shake doesn't stop it will be a good support for the windshield for wanting to use it to pull yourself up and out and standing outside to push it.
We also finished up the front bumper yesterday which was set up for a tow bar I used it to get it home for his shop seemed to pull good even though I didn't drive very fast. The tow bar will be able to store behide the seats which is nice. Its all in primer right now hoping to paint all of it Monday. Pics will follow once I get it on the buggy. Bumper on now, number plate finished, the plate comes off then the tow bar goes in that bracket. still working on storing the tow bar behide the seat. I got a receiver hitch used and repainted it red so it can stay under the seat, I used a 1 7/ 8 coupler

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

VPONDER,
That is looking sweet! So you were having rattling issues? Take a pic of the driver side profile of Empi. I will compare it with mine. I don't have a brace it.

Tony
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 33

Jump to: