Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks Tony! Its amazing after 65 years how one stumbles onto something like a Sportster; and can't get it off of my mind. Ive been around bugs and buggys for 50 years and never knew a sportster ever existed. Hoping to get a look at one here in Minnesota soon. John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Great to hear you are still young at heart. Hopefully we can have young men and women who will continue to wrench and curse at the buggies for a long time!

LOL!

Larry, keep us up to date on your projects.

Bakersfield weather is just a mind set, wait let me turn up the A/C Cool

T
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

New Youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3Jrmt6l6k

Cool
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Yankee thats some neat video to hear the "voice" behide these post on here. Ive been taking care of some small things on mine while its down waiting on a wheel to come in. I found a rear view mirror on ebay for it and haven't even had a chance to drive it and look out the mirror in real traffic got to laugh . may go look at a fg truck dune buggy this weekend near here. guy said it had a sp 1600 and was suppose to rebuilt some years ago by the mechanic that does my work in a town 50 miles. He wants 1000.00 for the buggy.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Vponder,

Thanks for your comment. I found making the vids will help others out there who find the gem of a Empi Sportster. Hopefully will encourage others in getting there rides back on the road.

Tony
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Summer is wrapping up, lets see some new Empi Sportster pics. Laughing
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I got a new to me engine going on mine Im repainting all the tins before it goes back on. Its a single port that was on a truck buggy that I bought. It had been sitting for years but I tested fired the engine and it ran good. Rumor had it , it had been rebuilt. It had a doghouse fan set up but I have to change it back due to the room between the fan shroud and the bed of the sportster. I had the air outlets on the shround taken off and had a sheet metal shop put copper flashing over the holes they did a really good job it going to look good against the black paint. Over all it want be nothing fancy , it will be clean and different looking. I want to go with the old fashion looking plug wires , my mechanic said that he never had good luck on crimping wires over the years so Im still thinking on that.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If it's possible, it would be awesome to get scans of those documents for the site.

I couldn't scan it since it was too large for my scanner but here's a quick and dirty photo set of it all made into a PDF:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/empi_sportster/empi_sportster.pdf
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

THANK YOU for this great set of plans. I hope that they come in handy on a future project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Johnnyniceguy,

Are you thinking about building an Empi Sportster?!
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

Summer sizzle is slowly going away. Lets see some new pics of Empi Sportsters.
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Yankee1919! I am persuing a sportster that has been in storage 30 years. I know it might need a repair or two. The nose is crushed for sure. Other than that; I don't know much more. Im being patient because the builder is elderly and it was his wifes funmobile. Hoping to seal a deal soon; but I know it is in dry storage and I'm not quite ready for it. Those plans you posted will make it really easy to replace a panel if it needs it. Much more easy than body work.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I hope the project will have a new home and giving the TLC that is needed.
Thank the Samba gods for the prints, I can't take credit.

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Cant wait to see that Sportster Johnnyniceguy, Let me make a suggestion about that nose piece. Im going to be taking a piece of flat metal and useing to bolt the nose down on top. I used quarter inch bolts on the ends , but in the middle holes I used black plastic push pins like used on interior panel. When mine was built they used a tap and used sheet metal screws alot of them were striped out. So with the piece of flat metal (painted) it will cover up the holes I may use one plastic pin in the middle. The way my nose piece was made you cant get be hide to use bolts with nuts. Im going to make this change cause I need to take it back off to loosen up the front beam to put in caster shims. I figured it would be faster to take off and on when needed some of the black pins are tight and dont want to scratch the paint pulling them back out
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hey vponder! Great idea on your nose piece retainer. I'm anxious to really get a visual on this sportster so I know what to expect. I have seen 2 pics of this Sportster buried in the back of a pole barn underneath tires and other debris. Looks like it will take half a day to move stuff to get to it. The pic shows a bumper mount tow hitch and I can see a rollbar. Until I researched this beast; I had no idea what a Sportser was. The grandson said that the Grandfather did build this vehicle from plans. It looks very much like a Sportster. I hope it is.
I have first dibs on it but it is a very sentimental issue with the widowed Grandfather. He built it for his wife. Wish me luck. John
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Maybe take pics of it where it sits and document bringing it back once you get it going you can take her for a ride in it, then again it might be to much for her but I hope she does all right with saleing it. This is exciting to say the least cant wait to see it. At least you'll have the back story. Mine I was told by the PO said that he got it from his brother , trader a truck to his brother and the brother got it from a handicap guy who is the one that had it built so his care taker could ride him around on his property. Mine was Maroon first, then white , now its black. This was in North Carolina.
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder; Thats a great idea on trying to tell the story of this find. I have been a member here for quite a few years and have enjoyed the reading of many finds and projects over the years. Many have been a 2,3 or 4 plus years projects. My biggest task will be mastering how to post pictures. I have only posted a few; and will have to review Everetts step by step instructions to get back on track. Im trying and I mean TRYING to organize just where Im going to put this prize when it happens. I know its in where its dry and maybe part of the deal would include leaving it there as long as possible. Trouble is; I cant wait. Il keep the Sportster fans updated. John
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Happy Labor Day everyone, lets get some new pics of your Empi Sportster. Very Happy
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

Summer is almost over! Lets have some new pics before we head into Fall!

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

No Pics yet, I'm still working on my engine stuff, I just got all the tin back from being bead blasted got it in primer now. I got the air ducts on the fan housing blocked off with copper flashing with copper rivets. I found a piece of small copper tubing to use on my vacuum advance line. I also am going to try and do a copper tube on the down draft for another accent . I got my carb sent out to Tim in WA so waiting on that also. Hopefully it will look good ,not going to be anything fancy just clean and dependable (fingers crossed) .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 33

Jump to: