Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Yea I got a shaking in the front end it shakes for a couple of seconds then smooth- shake, but I think I have a bad wheel bearing on the left front wheel. So Im going to put new bearings in REAL SOON. The rest of the front end parts are new along with the new wheels and tires balanced.

The brace helps support the windshield frame, plus we put our bluetooth speaker on it yesterday so we could hear the music better, I wrapped the bar with one of those cheap steering wraps to give it some padding. Plus I noticed that the brace helped keeping the top from dipping down on our heads when going down the road
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Bluetooth! LOL! My only music in my Empi is the humming of the motor. I used that new oil with Zinc. Valvoline VR1, makes a huge improvement on the motor.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I decided yesterday to check the bearing in the left front wheel seemed to have to much play when you grabbed the tire and rock it back and forth. Well after I backed the brakes shoes off the drum was loose but wouldnt come off. Well it finally came off but left the inner bearing on seized on the spindle. So I dont know if that was the cause of the shake but its a problem now LOL.

Im suppose to call my mechanic this morning to see if he can get me in. I was going over there any way but I was going to put new bearing in here to save me trip over there but Im sure he has seen this before. He's only 50 miles its suppose to be clear today just rather get the buggy wet in rain if I can help it.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Vponder,

Must important thing is you drive down the road in working order!

Our club in Bakersfield,CA has a safety guidelines, 1) Brakes must work 2) Front and rear lights must work 3) Car must be in good mechanical working order 4) Fire extinguisher for you or fellow member.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Vponder,

Must important thing is you drive down the road in working order!

Our club in Bakersfield,CA has a safety guidelines, 1) Brakes must work 2) Front and rear lights must work 3) Car must be in good mechanical working order 4) Fire extinguisher for you or fellow member.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

February is wrapping up, lets see some new pics of your Empi Sportster.
2018!
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Empi Sportster at car show.

Finally had a time to show off the Empi Sportster at the Super Cruise in Bakersfield.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All the rain and wind wouldn't stop the Empi from the show.
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have a very specific question regarding a factory built Empi Sportster. I have done a lot of research on these buggies but still cannot find a definitive answer on the panel that is (or isn't) on the outside rail of the seats, On a factory made Empi, I have seen some factory made buggies that have them and some that don't. Is the panel a year specific thing or a random installation? It seems that it is more than just a panel welded to cover the opening. That the body is actually brought out at the rockers (or the pick up beds are actually less wide) and then brought back into the bed to form a well engineered corner. As I have said....some are present, especially on the Empi's with the shorter beds and some with the longer extended pick up style beds (but not necessarily with the full VW pans used) have that area open with no filler panel. I can't figure out what the factory standard was......or was there no factory standard. Looking at an old original factory car line up picture provided by a Samba participant on this thread....I see that there is no panel in this opening but why do some original factory built cars have this area paneled but not present on this photo? Were the first Empi's made without this paneled detail only to be added in later years for safety concerns? Anyone out there have an answer or opinion? Thanks for the help....Tim
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have a very specific question regarding a factory built Empi Sportster. I have done a lot of research on these buggies but still cannot find a definitive answer on the panel that is (or isn't) on the outside rail of the seats, On a factory made Empi, I have seen some factory made buggies that have them and some that don't. Is the panel a year specific thing or a random installation? It seems that it is more than just a panel welded to cover the opening. That the body is actually brought out at the rockers (or the pick up beds are actually less wide) and then brought back into the bed to form a well engineered corner. As I have said....some are present, especially on the Empi's with the shorter beds and some with the longer extended pick up style beds (but not necessarily with the full VW pans used) have that area open with no filler panel. I can't figure out what the factory standard was......or was there no factory standard. Looking at an old original factory car line up picture provided by a Samba participant on this thread....I see that there is no panel in this opening but why do some original factory built cars have this area paneled but not present on this photo? Were the first Empi's made without this paneled detail only to be added in later years for safety concerns? Anyone out there have an answer or opinion? Thanks for the help....Tim
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Sorry about the duplicate message.....I will get this posting thing down eventually (lol)....Tim
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

The enclosed seats were a change EMPI made at about the same time they changed to the offset windshield frame hinge design

I asked the question on the literature forum, if anyone who had later copies of the EMPI catalog could check if the photos show what year the windshield frame hinge and seat enclosure changed, but someone who has them said there was no change in the catalog pictures over the years it was sold

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676670

The orange Sportster with the TQL 164 plate is in the Petersen Museum collection so I'm real sure its a factory car

Last edited by BL3Manx on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I just want to thank you guys for keeping this Roll Call alive and well. I enjoy every time their is a new post. This past posting on the panel next to the seat led me to reread the roll call from page 1. I cant tell you how many times I started again to read from page 1 only to learn something new from studying every picture. I applaud all Sporster owners; and STILL am anxiously waiting to join you in ownership.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I'm with you Johnnyniceguy
I have 2 project sportsters that I need to work on . I had a swing axle trans rebuilt and started the install and have not finished , looking for new backing plates for the type 3 drums . Will have to make new rear fenders to cover larger tires . The other buggy will get bus irs trans so I need to weld the clips , but bad weather here in Norwalk Ca has slowed me down some
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I recently got an update on the orange one I sold. He has changed the engine in it , he has put wood in the back bed. He still has the full top on it. I think he is painting it OD green and painting the fenders flat black. He has sent me some pics on my phone. I asked him would he be finished by June he said that he might be. I told him maybe we could meet at that vw show at the Atlanta Motor speedway so I could see it in person. He lives above Atlanta.
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Did the windshield dimensions change or just the hinge? Can anyone provid the measurements on the 2nd gen. hinge? Thanks, Tim
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello T-wire,

Just like adding extra pickles to your burger, if you take a look at the Empi Sportster blueprints (you can find it on the Samba). The original design did not have coverage near the diagonal entry tube.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Its a guess that guys and gals starting to drive more on the street that offload. Maybe the wet weather created the closed area.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I like the dog in this one.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I believe that the portion on my Empi Sportster was added later.

Sandhopper we got some big runs coming up. Meet in the Middle in March and huge event at CB Performance in April with Visalia club and Fresno.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
I believe that the portion on my Empi Sportster was added later.

Some definitely had them added on later like this one. You can see they used galvanized steel, like the extensions on the front edge of your fenders. Your side panels look original paint. Why do you think they were added on?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 33

Jump to: