Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Interesting, I never knew that there were different styles of coverage in that area.
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rain stopped today and getting some work done.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Really cool EarlT, do you mine measuring the wheelbase? It looks really short, did you make the body and shorten the pan yourself?
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

The wheelbase is 79”. Seems short.
Was built that way in the 60’s by fabricators in eastern Washington.
They were following plans. I am rebuilding.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

80" was standard for the Sportster, the Manx and most other buggies. Probably just lost some metal during the cutting process, not intentional

I always tell people to put the fiberglass body on the chassis and mark precisely how much needs to be removed before cutting the chassis. There weren't a lot of quality control checks on a lot of buggy bodies, I've seen some intended to be used on an 80" wheelbase chassis, vary an inch or more either way
t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello.....Got another "factory or kit" question. On a factory Empi Sportster, are the back fenders bolted or welded? Do factory Empi's have more areas that are welded than a kit or was it the quality of the welds that would lead to a factory produced Empi....if there are extra welded areas that you would not have on an owner built kit Empi. Thanks
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

You can see the heads of the rear fender bolts on the inside of the cargo bed above the tank in the middle left picture

From the pictures and articles I've seen, I think Sportsters built from actual factory full kits were pretty much indistinguishable from factory built Sportsters, unless the builder screwed something up somehow, crappy welds are probably a good clue. However, I've also seen some plans/home built that look better than factory(that aluminum one in Canada is amazing). I think only the factory built ones had the serial number tag or Land, Sea Air badge. However, I don't know if all the factory built got tags and badges. Meyers didn't start putting badges on the Manx until four years after they started

t-wire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have read that some factory built Sportsters had plates with ID's (the factory numbers with the "Pat. Pend." designation) and some had the factory ID's actually stamped into the body panels. My question is, Where are these numbers stamped on the body panels (was there a common body panel or location that the stamping was....Not the plate location, I know where they were located but the stamps that were actually applied directly to a panel) and did the factory use both the plate ID riveted on to the tunnel and the Factory ID's stamped into the actual body panels together? If they used the ID plate would they also stamp the body panels with an ID or was it either or? Thanks
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I've only seen the plates on the tunnel with Pat. Pend.

Hopefully somebody can post a picture of a body panel with number stamps
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello EarlT,

Here are a couple of pics of my Empi

Front fender, you can see the bolts, no welds visible.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Rear fender,

Bolts are visible and there are some welds.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics of side cover near door, I have a unique set up.

Some body made it look cool.

This year I am going to take and strip it all down and fix all the rust and metal fatigue.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
Here are a couple of pics of side cover near door, I have a unique set up. Some body made it look cool.

Whoever built it really did a great job
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have seen Tony's buggy in person and yes it is a good looking fun buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Yo Sandhopper! Thanks, got back from Meet in the Middle in Goleta, CA. Many people confused the buggy for a "THING" but I told them it was a special military vehicle used in WWII for the U.S. special forces! So much fun, many VW's but no Empi Sportsters!

Lets see them on the road!
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
Yo Sandhopper! Thanks, got back from Meet in the Middle in Goleta, CA. Many people confused the buggy for a "THING" but I told them it was a special military vehicle used in WWII for the U.S. special forces! So much fun, many VW's but no Empi Sportsters! Yea Tony I get that to about it being a Thing for time to time Vince

Lets see them on the road!
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Weather is warming up, lets get some pics up your projects. Any new owners out there?
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Wife gave me a gift I have been eyeing for a year. DUNE BUGGY HANDBOOK by James Hale. A bunch of good info, get your copy.
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Made more progress while the sun was out.

Built a new frame for the back, mounting to the body mounts.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Looks good These pics gave me an idea to tie the two body mounting points on each shock mount together I dont think mine are being used. I know you ll be ready to ride when you get that finished love the pictures. Vince
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 33

Jump to: