Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last weekend I took my Bug-E to our company's car show and open house. I finished the back with a piece of diamond plate from Lowes, it turned out very nice. My son 3D printed an EMPI logo, and I glued it on below the windshield. I installed a single hand wiper from SeaDog, and made a windshield stop from aluminum angle, to prevent folding down when the brakes are applied. I raised the seats 3" from the floor and installed tanaka seat belts.

I have the engine running, started it a few times, but my wiring is a bit of a mess. The engine still has a 6V generator and is not connected. I am using a 12V battery.

Do you recommend the Empi brand wire harness kit? Or is another better? I heard updating the fuses to blade type is best. Any particular fuse holder best?
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Looking good, summer is wrapping up let's get more Empi Sportster out.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Heading down to Pasadena and I saw Empi Sportster being towed.

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

If the new owner will come forward and give us details.

Tony
Bakersfield.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Nice shots there Yankee, it made be a factory one, yea he needs to join us LOL with more pics .
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I added a couple of things to mine, put the emblem on last Saturday a buddy has a CNC machine so he did that for me, I added that little bucket with a plastic black rat maybe just leave that on for Halloween time. I did get my intake changed out. I order one on here from that classifeds from France, it came off an industrial engine , heat risers are CLEAR. Went out of town yesterday with it , it ran good .

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That looks really cool, glad you are ready for the road.
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Just delivered New Mexico barn find. Great original Empi body,with one repaint (light yellow over original dark yellow) and no rust Pan was shortened by original builder, good welds. PO replaced the engine that was in it with a "more age appropriate running engine". Looks like nothing else has been changed since the original build. Last licensed 1998. More pictures in the gallery.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Good looking ride Orangewood, what are your palns for it ? Like to know what that metal around the shocks in the front do interesting Humm.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
Like to know what that metal around the shocks in the front do interesting Humm.

Probably protection for headlight and turn wiring.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
I recently had a brace made to go from the windshield back to the roll bar.

Looking back on this, another rollbar to windshield bar mounting method could be to use clamps like this - no holes to drill in rollbar tubing. Make your bars from windshield header to rollbar, then use these on ends.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/17-2729.html

Multiple companies offer similar clamps, in different mounting profiles, in Aluminum and Mild Steel.

bryan
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I did look at those clamps not sure how it would have clamped to the front with out cutting into that metal around my windshield. Crazy as it sounds I didn't care for the modern look of the newer looking stuff on the buggy. Even though would have been easier that drilling into that stainless.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Rides looking good, I am sure their are many more Empi Sportsters in garages.
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Since the original owner modified the pan himself and ordered just the body. The body is bolted on not welded on. This brace is welded to the top of the shock tower on factory assembled sportsters but is under the shock bolt on owner built.
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Here we go..things I know about it. Titled in 68, built on 55 pan, oval rear brakes, early type 3 case, later linkpin front.

Been sitting in my former high school shop teachers garage since 1995! Got the engine running, runs perfect. Will be going thru the brakes this week and fixing everything else.

Came with a full snap on canvas top, doors. My teacher friend used it for hunting, and occasionally drove it to school.

vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That is a awsome find , get some more pics up , love to see more of it .
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Orangewood wrote:
Since the original owner modified the pan himself and ordered just the body. The body is bolted on not welded on. This brace is welded to the top of the shock tower on factory assembled sportsters but is under the shock bolt on owner built.
I never seen that before , I wonder if it helps brace the front more than the front brackets do may have to fab up some for mine. I'll have to look at the plans to see if I see them. Big thanks for the up close picture. I have a slight shake in mine Ive been chasing and have done everything on the front end and bout everything suggested on here in reading . rereading threads.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Orangewood wrote:
I looked at my plans and its there in the drawings but not detailed may have to make a pair for mine .
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks for the update guys!
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Maybe start a build thread?..but I probably couldn't keep it updated...so I'll just put it here again. I own a restored 65 bug and daily drive a decent 66 bug. This buggy will be built with my parts stash. Won't be much in the way of making it pretty. It will be mechanically ready to go anywhere.

Inspired by the lowered ratty one a few pages back I put on some dropped spindles and will re index the rear next weekend.

This weekend...
New intake with pre heat..rusty header..cooling flaps..better tin..new brakes.tires, wheels from stash. Drove it up and down the street. Strong engine..great gearbox. Going to be fun. Has some really shitty wiring that needs sorted, full canvas top with doors needs unfolded..cleaned from 25 years of storage.
Rusty
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: