Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Hello All,

Wiring up the turn signals, and I am using an aftermarket VW 66-67 turn signal switch with an EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay.
I have seen two different wiring diagrams, one which has 12v from the battery to the + on the relay, and one that has nothing to the + on the relay.
I tried the one with nothing on the + terminal and I got nothing. I hooked up the 12v from the battery to the +, and immediately the flasher started clicking.like the turn signals or flashers were on.
My question is, why would the relay start clicking immediately upon hooking up the battery?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

BTW guys, I have the relay ground to the body if that makes a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Looks like from my wiring diagrams power should come from the battery +, to the flasher relay (+ terminal), out of the flasher (- terminal our output) then to the common lead to the turn signal switch. The switch then connects that power to left or right lamps when 'switched'. Circuit is completed/grounded at the ground connection at the lamps.
The relay should "ground" through the TS switch.
Hope this helps?
Jeff
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Seems it should be wired like diagram below.... Does your wiring follow diagram?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.nocoev.com/product/EP27_LED_Turn_Signal_Flasher.htm#gsc.tab=0

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Hello All,

Wiring up the turn signals, and I am using an aftermarket VW 66-67 turn signal switch with an EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay ...

Your EP27 relay appears to have the RFL7 terminal arrangement, shown at bottom left in this diagram of various pin designations:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before ever wiring up my LED signals, I built a mockup, which you can see in this short video:
https://youtu.be/PPGPlrlwGnk

If you'd like to see a circuit diagram of my setup, here's a post all about it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9781514&highlight=#9781514
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Well, after going back through my wiring, I found a mistake. I had the turn signal switch feed wired to L instead of L1. After changing that, and running the relay ground to the turn signal ground, then both to the frame ground, my signals lit up and flashed!
Thank you to you all for your help. Now onto the emergency flashers.

Leyton
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Hi Dale,

I have the same diagram. There are a couple purple things I hope you can clear up. What tells the relay to start working? In the hazard mode, the same question. It seems all the hazard switch does is distribute the power from “L”. What actually turns them on?
Finally, what does “pilot” mean?

TIA
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Hi Dale,

I have the same diagram. There are a couple purple things I hope you can clear up. What tells the relay to start working? In the hazard mode, the same question. It seems all the hazard switch does is distribute the power from “L”. What actually turns them on?
Finally, what does “pilot” mean?

TIA

Generally relay senses a ground feedback or current flow through indicator/LED lights when TS or HW switch is operated to start flashing function...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Ok. One more question and I’ll leave you guys alone. Is L and L1 on the relay specifically for the signals and the hazard flashers, or does it matter which goes where?
I’m starting to think L1 draw’s it’s power from the ignition circuit and L from the battery.

TIA
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Ok. One more question and I’ll leave you guys alone. Is L and L1 on the relay specifically for the signals and the hazard flashers, or does it matter which goes where?
I’m starting to think L1 draw’s it’s power from the ignition circuit and L from the battery.

TIA

The L& L1 are specific to what they do.... Being that the L1 is specifically for turn signal and if ignition is off the TCS are not operational.

L is NOT under ignition control and will unconditionally flash HW if switch operated...

Due to current requirements (amperage) I'll willing to bet the 12V is supplied by the plus(+) 12 volt terminal for both operations....

Think the ignition terminal only supplies the logic to allow TS to flash when key is on.... So one does not walk away with TS flashing till battery goes dead...

Go ahead and disconnect the 12V (+) supply and see what works and what does not work (yes this is a test)....

L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Hi Dale and thanks for your reply. I will test when I get the dash installed as it has the hazard switch on it. The turn signals are working with the ignition, so that is wired correctly.
Again, thanks to you and the rest that responded.👍
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EP27 LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Hello All,
Well as I posted, the turn signals work fine. The emergency flashers are causing me headaches.
As you will recall, I’m using a 5 pole led flasher. I’m also using a single pole, single throw switch for the emergency flashers. When I turn the switch on, the flashing unit starts clicking like normal, the switch night light starts flashing, but nothing to the corners.
I’m in need of guidance where the wire from the flasher for the emergency flashing goes? How is it hooked up to the corner (turn signal) lights?

TIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: