Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricBo142
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject: Clutch cable Reply with quote

I have a Allison Daytona I just got the car few months ago and was wondering what size cables are generally used? I saw dune buggy warwhouse.has 74 inch for shorter cars and have seen some say to use wire clamps to shorten. If the wire is 3mm would I get a 3mm clamp? Looks like 2 sections of the wire goes into clamps so would it be 6 mm clamps? I just want one thing to go my way with this car because the previous owner seems like he got his high from being able to rig something rather than just doing it correct.in the same amount of time.
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

I just used two wire rope clamps on mine, been that way for twenty years.
ppilotmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

This is how I shortened mine. I don’t remember if the clamps were for 3/16” or 1/4” cable.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

I've used the 3 clamps for 20 years also. They have never slipped.

The original used cable I shortened lasted about fifteen years before it broke. I then bought a new standard cable and shortened that one and it's been working great even pulling on a Stage II pressure plate.

Make sure you have the Bowden tube installed between the pan and transmission and it has the correct droop in it for smooth engagement.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

Another option is to measure exact length you need and have one custom made....

https://push-pull.com/

Personally I did not even cut cable I just put a loop in it and use a couple of clamps to lock it into correct length... Been that way for something like 22 years now...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

Aren't Allison buggies full length?? If they are, just use the stock length cable. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA

Last edited by Tom_Kathleen on Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

On my first buggy I used a copper split bolts to shorten the cable. I put a second one on next to the first one, just for good measure. My current buggy has a hydraulic clutch.
EricBo142
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Aren't Allison buggies full length?? If they are, just use the stock length cable. Tom

They make 2. One has an extended rear seating area but that may not matter. I just said it in case the question arose to which one lol.
EricBo142
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

ppilotmike wrote:
This is how I shortened mine. I don’t remember if the clamps were for 3/16” or 1/4” cable.

Okay so you cut the cable then attached the clamps. I saw some looping Thanks good to know that works too
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Personally I did not even cut cable I just put a loop in it and use a couple of clamps to lock it into correct length... Been that way for something like 22 years now...

That's what I did too.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

I'm in the calf roper loop camp.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I'm in the calf roper loop camp.

Exactly what I did for mine....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

Swageless fitting. Easy and adjustable.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

My buggy had the same loop from 1968. I'm replacing it and cutting the new cable to length, dipping the end in Flux and hot solder to prevent frays, and using one of the kits, someone makes the cable shortening kit. But yeah. There's a lot of different ways to make a cup of coffee.

I saw the loop, obviously works, and I guess you could consult Pi and he would tell you the exact diameter of your loop after the 14-1/4" shortening job.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
On my first buggy I used a copper split bolts to shorten the cable. I put a second one on next to the first one, just for good measure. My current buggy has a hydraulic clutch.

I love that! An electrician will use what an electrician is familiar with!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Misclecarsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

EricBo142 wrote:
ppilotmike wrote:

Okay so you cut the cable then attached the clamps. I saw some looping Thanks good to know that works too

I know that cable doesn’t carry much load but you should never “ saddle a dead horse “ as it can reduce the cables capacity by up to 50%. Also if saddled correctly , it negates the rope from slipping.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable Reply with quote

I used an eye-bolt with a bevel-neck bolt from an old generator to wrap some garage opener cable (thinner and more flexible than VW clutch cable) around a 1/8" thimble/clips set:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: