Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting my 21 back on the road. Wash & wax advice
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Getting my 21 back on the road. Wash & wax advice Reply with quote

So my 65 Micro has been in the garage for 5 years now. No cover. Want to get her back on the road. Any advice for getting the dust & dirt off of her?

Was thinking of having it detailed but a bit worried that the local "detail" guy will not quite know what to do with all the aluminum and the sunroof.

Any advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check brakes tune-up. Drive it all that dust will just blow off Wink
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for starters, just wash it a few times. is there alot of dead paint? mine sat in the garage for about 10 years, if you brushed against it, it looked like you had brushed up against a chalkboard( it's L87 white). i buffed mine out with rubbing compound, by hand, 3 times. it's very labor intensive, expect to break a sweat, but much safer than using a power buffer. keep the bus wet, and in the shade, buff in tiny circles, do about 2'X2' at a time. mine shines just like a ~45 year old paint job should! oh, after that a couple of coats of a quality wax should keep it looking fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: