Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus (and maybe buggy) people who steal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Bus (and maybe buggy) people who steal Reply with quote

i'm angry.

we went to a VW show over the weekend, the june jitterbug in niagara falls ontario, which is one of the larger shows in our local area. we've been going to the show for years but we seldom vend, mostly we just go to enjoy ourselves. this year we decided to vend at a few shows. we spent loads of time preparing, anyone who vends at shows knows that it's a lot of work. we had a decent booth and overall the experience was positive. we met lots of VW folks, friends, customers, potential customers, sold some parts, handed out some cards and overall made a good impression i think. strangely with our business having started out only online (no store in the beginning) our business is known more by far-flung people than by local people and many locals did not know were we from the area. so that's all good and at the end of the day we were feeling pretty good about all the hard work we put into the event and the preparations beforehand.

this is where the stealing part comes in... while packing up i noticed we were missing one of the early baywindow camper curtains we brought to the show. i had packed two nice plaid curtains, a really good front curtain and a nice side curtain, these are the type i mean:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

anyone who knows about these knows this style of curtain was used for late split and early bay westfalia campers and that they are hard to find in good condition. the cloth tends to fade or disintegrate and used ones in good shape are relatively rare. incredibly, someone managed to walk off with the side curtain. it was in a 9x12 resealable bag, folded up. i asked my wife who had bought the curtain and she said 'i didn't sell a curtain'. so some low life shoplifted it from our booth. and the worst part is that the low life is a bus person. they surely knew exactly what they were stealing. they probably wanted to steal the front curtain but that one would have been hard to get away with, it was also bagged but much bulkier and more difficult to 5-finger. some other c*cksucker stole a type 4 CV joint, NOS. i brought two sets (8pcs) of these to the show and went home with 7 pcs.

i would like to know how someone managed to get that into their pocket without me seeing, but thieves are crafty bastards. i blame this one on some low life buggy rat, who else would want a type 4 CV bad enough to steal it from a local shop owner? there's lots of buggy people at the june jitterbug and maybe it's unfair to blame one of them but maybe not. whoever stole it is a rat, buggy or not.

anyone else get ripped off at a VW show and feel angry and disappointed about it?
po7g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sold nething at a show but it is very disgusting when people steal from vendors. You think people can be trusted. I hope who ever stole from you ends up in a ditch face down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a most unfortunate experience, I have both bought and sold items for several hundred dollars to people I know at shows with a handshake & I'll send you a check without any problems
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumber! Sad

At the OCTO, VWHoward had a big tote with all sorts parts and accessories, all with a little price tag on them. Mostly cheap stuff from $0.25 to $5.00 and such. He wasn't around while I was looking through the pile. Picked up a few pieces and went on my way. Later on I came across him and handed him the amount for the parts I took. He then tells the person he was talking with "See, that's how we do things here!" Cool
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
At the OCTO, VWHoward had a big tote with all sorts parts and accessories, all with a little price tag on them. Mostly cheap stuff from $0.25 to $5.00 and such. He wasn't around while I was looking through the pile. Picked up a few pieces and went on my way. Later on I came across him and handed him the amount for the parts I took. He then tells the person he was talking with "See, that's how we do things here!" Cool

you know, that's exactly what i mean. that's how it's supposed to be... you certainly don't expect someone with a bus to steal from you.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Scott. Assholes are everywhere. I've had stuff stolen off my car, from my swap table at shows, etc., and it just burns me that it's another VW person who's being such a little punk bitch.

Unfortunately, we can't administer personality tests at the gate for car shows and swap meets. I'd bet the VW crowd has a lower asshole rate than some other car enthusiast communities, though.

The strangest experience I'd had was someone returning a part to me at a swap meet. I'm not a "vendor," as such, and was just bewildered by that--someone bought something early in the day, deprived me of nearly the entire day of trying to sell it to someone else, and insisted that I buy it back at the end of the day. Weird.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about the same thing happening at a big RC airplane event this year. These are people that share the same hobby, you would think they would be good people.
Instead, there are low lifes everywhere. Can't trust anyone anymore.
FranksMarket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad a buddy of mine had n.o.s type 3 euro marker lights stolen from him at e-town while vending... theres a-holes everywhere.... sad to see that theres these types at vw shows.. karmas a bitch!!!!! hope the cv joint cooks locks up and does some damage... now the curtain on the other hand isnt to hard to spot. what douche would put a " hot" curtain in there bus???? sorry to hear bout your losses.. gotta keep an eye on everyone nowa days...... sad to say..
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep an eye out for all the busses in the area, and see who just happenes to have one really nice side curtain. Or just wait for next year's show, and see if anyone has one curtain in their bus. You might get lucky Wink
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
BobB10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful, all that work and then you get ripped off. And you're stuck behind a table for the whole event too, watching everyone else have fun... Man, that'd tick me off for a month...

Probably one of the G20 politicians I think... if you look really really carefully, you can kinda see a piece of vw curtain in the bottom middle, half stuck in a brief case being carried by one of UK Prime Minister David Cameron's flunkies as they leave Toronto... but then again the brits are crazy for Bus stuff... to be expected I guess.

Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bummer... It is when they swamp you 4 or 5 at time and strike. Pictures of the curtains on the table, curtains in a box behind the counter... Empty part box on display, part behind counter...
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FranksMarket wrote:
now the curtain on the other hand isnt to hard to spot. what douche would put a " hot" curtain in there bus????

Maybe not inside their own vehicle. Possibly someone knew what those kind of curtains was for (and how much something like that is worth) when they walked by. Then figured they could score some bucks by trying to sell'em at another swap meet or on ebay/craigslist.

oemwolf
ANSAracingb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:

The strangest experience I'd had was someone returning a part to me at a swap meet. I'm not a "vendor," as such, and was just bewildered by that--someone bought something early in the day, deprived me of nearly the entire day of trying to sell it to someone else, and insisted that I buy it back at the end of the day. Weird.

That is odd. You had already sold it, why would you want it back? I remember going to swap meets with my Dad when I was younger and getting a kick out of the homemade vendors' signs that said "If you bought the wrong part, you now have a spare!"

To the OP: I'm sorry that even in our friendly, tight VW communities we have to deal with assholes like this. I've worked retail for almost seven years now, and people that steal items, no matter how big nor small, REALLY bug the sh*t out of me. I know the majority of us would never even think of stealing anything and I can't imagine why some people actually truly believe they are entitled to steal from someone else. That kind of thinking really gets me infuriated...

...oh well. Karma, as they say, is a bitch. Hopefully they get what's coming to them and you get your stuff back.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the guy who stole the CV could have also been a baja guy.

either way, theives should burn in hell. I am totally in favor of the death penalty for convicted theives. Evil or Very Mad
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for the guy who asked to return the part, i would have said "sure, but there is a 20% restocking fee" Laughing
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANSAracingb wrote:
Karma, as they say, is a bitch. Hopefully they get what's coming to them and you get your stuff back.

That's the beauty about karma. You don't have to believe in it. Sooner or later, shit WILL happen to you and then you'll be asking yourself "what the hell did I do to get this???" Laughing
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

you know, that's exactly what i mean. that's how it's supposed to be... you certainly don't expect someone with a bus to steal from you.

People who own all types of VW's are theifs. Just because you have a bus doesn't mean you're all "Peace and Love" ya know.

Regardless, that is a real bummer. It'd be nice to see them busted.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott I didn't even notice you at the show!! I remember the display with the early curtains in the bags though....that totally sucks dude......people are fuckin assholes eh?
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the old days when if you got caught steeling they just cut off your hand.

Seems like that would be an effective deterrant.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

Reminds me of the last Portland swap meet. A guy had a table with some stuff in the dollar box. I picked out a few items, but the guy wasn't around. Not wanting to wait around, I stuck the cash in his cooler. I figure he'd find it and know exactly where it came from.

drscope wrote:
I liked the old days when if you got caught steeling they just cut off your hand.

Seems like that would be an effective deterrant.

Two strikes and you're out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: