Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NJ/PA/NY camping
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: NJ/PA/NY camping Reply with quote

Headed to the Adirondacks in a few weeks, in the bus, of course.
A little nervous for the old gal up into those NY mountains, but have faith...and gearing up where I can.

It's about an 8 or 9 hour drive to our destination from here. The family won't handle that in one day, so wanna camp on the way up.
What's a good spot about half-way? That would be northern NJ/PA, or southern NY area. I was thinking of the Delaware Water Gap but then hear the road (209 is it?) can be kinda....slow. I'm not opposed entirely, but not against highway driving either!

Likely/easy route is 95/PA or 295/NJ up to 287 > 87 through NY.
Any known good spots?
Any known bus events?!

Biggest hassle seems to be us traveling on a Friday, which means most all camping spots have a two-night minimum, which stinks cause I don't wanna stay two nights - just passing through!

A camping area with a swimming hole for the kids would be ideal, but not critical. Any ideas welcome!
Thanks,
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/142/details.aspx

Wine country...
I_am_Wasserwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been that way in a while, but I do remember a KOA approved campground right on 209 going west, right past where 206 comes up from Jersey. Decent area, never stayed but it looked nice.
Good luck with your search and your trip.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shop is just east of Abany if you run into trouble, lots of Vanagon parts new parts and "tested" parts. Flint European Automotive. 518 766 5654.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pennsylvania's state parks are very nice for the most part. We stayed at one just west of Scranton on our last trip that might be on your way. I'll try to find a name for you.

*EDIT*
Lackawanna SP is where we stayed near Scranton, but farther east and a bit south you'll find Promised Land SP and Tobyhanna SP. I've not stayed at those.

Last edited by campism on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple up and around 209 which look just fine, but all require a 2-night stay. I'm not sure (all?) state parks require that too...
Haven't found obvious spots in north jersey yet...so maybe southern NY then...but this link
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/142/details.aspx
and it's parents are timing-out on me....so will try that tomorrow.

xoo00oox , that is VERY good to know. Thanks Wink

campism, let me know what you find. Google says west of Scranton could be Slocum State Park? But Scranton is kinda outta the way, adding about an hour to the trip...maybe less....two days each of 4 hours car ride, even in the bus, is just about pushing it with the kids...

Thoughts, past and future, appreciated!
KM
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try YMCA Camp Carr near Clinton, NJ. 08809...maybe 08801 zip. It has a Fleminton address I think. The phone # is 908-735-5950.

Nothing fancy. Pool. alongside the river. You could come up RT 31 from I-95. You can take the highway or even smaller state roads from Clinton area to NY state.

Check it out. Wink

Good luck, have fun.

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you get to the 'dacks be sure to check out the Rain Tree resturant if you pass thru Lake George. great food. dinner or breakfast. Nice place. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsof...0140741373

I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years, but I'll be back some day.

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you bringing bikes? Check out Plattekill ski area for great lift-seviced mountain biking. Smile About 1-1/2 hrs off 87 NYS Thruway

There's great climbing at New Paltz, and a skydive outfit called The Ranch there too.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the "The Best in Tent Camping in (Insert Name of State Here)" books for those states. They're on Amazon for under $10 used and I've found them to be terrific and reliable. They seem ideal for the Westy camping crowd--lower impact vehicle camping, wilderness without the tree roots in your back.

I just came back from Pine Grove Furnace SP in PA (highly recommended) based on their advice. Cheers.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like somewhere in the Harriman state park in southern NY state or somewhere in the Delaware Water Gap area in eastern PA will be the place. Will try to get in touch this weekend with both to see what spots are available. Harriman looks very cool...
Thanks for the thoughts!
KM
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread alert

If you drive over to the east side of the Hudson, the Taconic a Parkway up to Albany us a beautiful drive, about 10 mph slower than the Thruway, no commercial traffic allowed. There are a couple of pull offs where I have overnighted but lots of rural roads where one can sleep too.

It's about 4 hours up the Adirondacks from mid Parkway.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.... Old threads can be fun!

Cross the Delaware into NJ on I 80 (or use the Portland Bridge.

Anyway get off 89 at the exit right next to the bridge. Yes, you've got to get on I-80......
This is a narrow road, in places one lane wide, heading North along the River.
One of my favorite roads in NJ, lightly traveled, beautiful scenery, many rural places to stop and picnic along the river. There is also a campground but I've never been to it.

Eventually the road will spit you out near Dingmans Ferry, it can be a slight maze at times, lots of history, lots of gravel roads if you wish.

You can continue on along the river to US rt 206 bridge into Milford or go even farther and end up by High Point State Park. From there you can cross from NJ to NY at the I-84 intersection.

If you cross at Milford, pick up 209 and folow that all the way up to Kingston NY.

A great ride, any and all of it, I do it frequently just to get away from house and It's many "must do" lists.

My wife and I created our personal faux reality show..... "Follow That Old Road", no map, no compass, a tank of gas and hours to burn. The best roads are dirt or haven't any lines painted on them.
Yes, we've driven in more than our fair share of Circles! Shocked but we've always had a blast along the way...... Been doing it for almost 45 years through the Lower 48..... It's either fun..... Or we are simple folk who are easily amused!

I'm not sure about Stealth camping though I imagine you could. It is NJ and we seem to have a rule outlawing almost anything fun these days..... Shocked

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my wife and I have found some of our favorite places while we were'lost' going down a road that we had never been down before. It is an anti-GPS mentality, "I wonder what is down there?" and an adventure follows. The Maine sea coast is full of suprises if you just follow your curiosity.

John
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adirondacks ? Shocked

There are some beautiful area's but remember it's still winter and anything can happen

1st question are you rolling a Syncro, or even a 2wd with LSD rear?
Got snow tires or chains?

Not trying to be negative but unless you stay on maintained and groomed roads much of that area is remote with some jagged roads with no sun hitting them for months yet, many are shadowed and road conditions could vary.

Also February is usually when the mega snows sometimes hit as storms come up the coast and as upper air currents warm with more moisture and dumps snow..

Also think of the long term impact of salted roads..

Hey Great Trip, just might want to wait till early Spring, even then it's cold at night and could have icy roads. Just Saying Idea
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, it's an old post revival, OP was June 2010

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: NJ/PA/NY camping ITHACA NY area Route 79 and Route 89 Reply with quote

Couple of good turnoff places for stealth camping

Just north of Ithaca on Route 89 - a turnoff/parking area on a pretty quiet road. Just North of East Covert Road on Route 89. Covert and Trumansburg both have good cheap eats and shops. NO facilities About 10 miles North of Ithaca

Speed limit enforcement nesr the State Parks is enthusiastic.

2 Just east of ithaca, about 10 miles on Route 79

Good pull on relatively quiet road, no facilities, picnic table
Just east of Harford Road
Hamley of Caroline with gas convenience store nearby, also a few miles to Richford with gas groceries.

If you arent used to upstate NY these places do look a little bit "deliverance' scary but these places are really safe with respect to any crime. People won't take stuff off your ride - they are too busy tending farms.
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: NJ/PA/NY camping Reply with quote

Anybody in NY/NJ area interested in a drive/gathering through the fall colors before it gets unbearably cold in the northeast?

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NJ/PA/NY camping Reply with quote

Interested? Yes.....

Able to? No.

The next two weekends are busy and the leaves in my little corner of NJ (NW) are rapidly falling to the ground!
Plus......
This years color display is far short of spectacular. A few shining stars but mainly yellow and brown.

My Wife and I take almost daily rides through the region after work to view the season.

BTW......
Don't miss the cider donuts at Hacklebarney Farm!!
Best around!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NJ/PA/NY camping Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:
Anybody in NY/NJ area interested in a drive/gathering through the fall colors before it gets unbearably cold in the northeast?

I'm in the same boat as Dave - Just dropped off my van at Flint's today. Would have otherwise been interested. Took the taconic north from NYC. Colors are amazing this time of year.

All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: