Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to add Subaru Conditioner to Expansion Tank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: How to add Subaru Conditioner to Expansion Tank Reply with quote

I understand that there is a correct procedure to follow when adding
fluid to expansion tank. I was planning on adding the conditioner and wanted to make sure I did it properly, can someone pls confirm this procedure. I have 2 little blue bottles, should I add one or 2, I have a very small leak somewhere.
Thanks
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't add it to the tank behind the license plate. You won't get much (if any) of the conditioner into your coolant that way. Wait until the engine is cool then add it to the main coolant tank, which is under the engine hatch, on the driver's side.

Do you know where your leak is coming from? I would think it's worth finding out. There might be a simple and effective fix such as tightening a clamp or replacing a hose.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck some coolant out of the pressure tank (what he said) and add BOTH bottles.
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funagon wrote:
Don't add it to the tank behind the license plate. You won't get much (if any) of the conditioner into your coolant that way. Wait until the engine is cool then add it to the main coolant tank, which is under the engine hatch, on the driver's side.

Do you know where your leak is coming from? I would think it's worth finding out. There might be a simple and effective fix such as tightening a clamp or replacing a hose.

I believe leak is from head gasket. I was told I would have to rev engine
while replacing expansion cap?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:

I believe you should have the engine off when you add the treatment. The tank is self bleeding (via the cap) so if some air gets in it is not a big deal. I'm not sure why you'd need to rev the engine when replacing the cap. Think

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revving the engine will draw down the coolant and may make room for the additional volume of the conditioner if the system is totally full. If you have air space in the pressure (expansion) tank when cold, you can just pour it in. It should get there eventually if you just pour it into the overflow tank which is all I do for routine maintenance, but for a leak pouring it into the pressure tank would be better.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been in the same situation (small leak) I used one container of Subaru juice. If that doesn't fix it after a couple of hours runtime then by all means add the second. I see no advantage to adding both at the same time... and you runt the risk of making a poor radiator worse.

anyone with half a clue is welcome to chime in on why I'm wrong (o;

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motelvw wrote:

You may have a hard time sucking out enough to make room for 2 bottles since, as you remove coolant from the expansion tank coolant will flow in from elsewhere in the system.

You may need to add 1 bottle, then run a bit, then add the other (though I agree with the notion that one bottle may be enough and more isn't necessarily better).

Yes, I think revving the engine will aid in getting the expansion tank to take more but your eye-hand coordination needs to be good. Back off from the rev before the cap is back on the expansion and it will puke.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:

I asked where the leak is coming from because a drip that appears to come from a headgasket will sometimes be dripping from a coolant hose, running down the engine, then dripping off the gasket surface. This creates the illusion of a headgasket leak. One common source for leaks is the two small hoses connected to the oil/coolant interchange. That's the square-ish looking box that the oil filter screws onto. It has two small rubber hoses attached to it, and they can leak, and the coolant usually runs down the heads and drips off the headgasket. If that's the case you'd gain peace of mind by just replacing those two little hoses one day while the engine's cool.

With so many coolant hoses in the engine compartment I would recommend taking a careful look in and under the engine compartment while the engine's dripping, to see where the coolant's coming from. You may need to remove the metal "rock guards" or whatever those tin shields are called, from the bottom of the engine and sides of the engine compartment, if you want to get a good look.

The subaru conditioner should help with the headgasket leak. It can usually fix a small leak. A big leak (such as a gasket blowing out and dumping lots of coolant) is too much for a bottle of magic stuff to fix.

When engine is cool, and not running, siphon some coolant out of the main coolant tank, pour in one bottle of subaru stuff, drive van. Later you can add a second bottle the same way if you need or want to.
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy some at my local Subaru dealer today and the gearhead behind the counter said they don't sell it any more since "if you put too much in it can blow the engine". That statement is probably true about most fluids you can put in your vehicle.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7thing3 wrote:
I tried to buy some at my local Subaru dealer today and the gearhead behind the counter said they don't sell it any more since "if you put too much in it can blow the engine". That statement is probably true about most fluids you can put in your vehicle.

I bought 2 yesterday for $5 each, put one in already.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got 3 bottles from my bro for $4......for all 3. I too have developed a small leak, but I think it's coming from the H2O pump......
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
motelvw wrote:

You may have a hard time sucking out enough to make room for 2 bottles since, as you remove coolant from the expansion tank coolant will flow in from elsewhere in the system.

You may need to add 1 bottle, then run a bit, then add the other (though I agree with the notion that one bottle may be enough and more isn't necessarily better).

Yes, I think revving the engine will aid in getting the expansion tank to take more but your eye-hand coordination needs to be good. Back off from the rev before the cap is back on the expansion and it will puke.

I've done it twice and have never had a problem. I wouldn't have said that if I thought I had my head up my dupa.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: