Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Superior, WI - Trip Review and Road Repair
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Superior, WI - Trip Review and Road Repair Reply with quote

We just got back yesterday from a five day stint up north. Beautiful country. Here's a small sampler.

Throttle linkage started acting up so I bummed a smear of grease from this place on the way up:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A few hours later we had made it to Pattison Falls State Park. There's a nice section of the flowage which creates a small "lake" and swimming area:

And, of course the Big and Little Manitou Falls. The larger of the two is the biggest in WI and the fourth largest east of the Rockies:

The hike to Little Manitou was pretty cool, along a fast moving section of the river with many rapids.

Water levels were near record highs due to all the rain we've been having. We planned ahead and picked up the famed Wal-Mart canopy and it was actually pretty nice getting to sit outside during the sprinkles.

We've gotten into summer but near the great lake spring still felt like it was getting started. Plenty of early wildflowers and two nights down to 42 degrees.

After a couple days of lounging we headed to Amnicon Falls. There were many, many smaller falls along a mile or so of river. It was pretty awesome getting to climb all over the place and check them all out up close and personal. I'd definitely recommend a visit to this park just for the experience.

This entire area is situated along a fault line that caused an upheaval leading to the falls.

On our reluctant journey home we experienced a hiccup. We were about four miles north of Mellen when the bus just flat out died. Clutch in, select neutral, look for a flat spot. Oil level - good, temperature - good, fuel pump - what the?

The pivot shaft for the pump was hanging precariously out of the body, only about 1/16" was still in the casting. I'd already had to fix a loose nipple on this pump and was pretty upset that something like this would happen with only about 8,000 miles on it. The shaft was completely smooth, didn't even have circlip grooves or anything. I'm not sure what was supposed to hold it in.

I pulled the pump and we began looking for possible solutions. We ended up scavenging two snaps from the front curtain and two hose clamps from the air cleaner pre-heat hose. The snaps made nice little 'cups' over each end of the pivot shaft and the clamps snugged things down to prevent them from moving. It looked like something out of Mad Max but we didn't have much choice. As I was fiddling with it the other nipple fell out so I JB-Quick welded it in as well. What the heck.

Well it worked. We drove another 290 miles home and didn't have any other issues. I'm adding an original fuel pump to my to buy list. These aftermarket parts have me depressed. This one was from NAPA and actually looked pretty decent to me, I liked how it closely resembled the original pump and the casting seems nice.

All in all it was a great long weekend. I'll probably change the oil and adjust the valves again since we're still in the early mileage on this engine.
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it was a great trip! The scenery is beautiful.

I hope my trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan next week is as nice... hopefully without the fuel problems though.

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, GORGEOUS!!!

Nice bus too, good job on makin what you've got work for you! Wink

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pics of the Park. What no waves? Very Happy Even a Brazilian pump in the spare parts bin is a must on any trip.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Looks like you have a special thing for waterfalls.
The pivot pin deal happens from time to time. Do a Samba search for the topic. Why do you get parts from NAPA? They are a generic place with parts for a million different vehicles like the other generic FLAPS are. Not specialized with ACVW's. Any good VW specific parts house has weeded thru what the good and bad brands are. BTW I've had excellent service with the sealed non-serviceable (probably Brazilian) pumps.
That was a wild temporary fix you did. Good going.
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BumbleBus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pump looks really nasty, what brand is it? As DBM said, if you pick up one of the sealed ones, you won't go far wrong. The inlet and outlet tubes are all one piece with the top housing, so no risk of popping out and hosing the engine in fuel. Nice fix roadside fix though.

Ant
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Why do you get parts from NAPA?

This is actually the only part I've ever gotten from there. My one-piece style sprung a leak at an inopportune moment and I was actually pretty happy to find out that NAPA had one so I didn't have to wait for mail order. I needed to get back on the road and it kept us running.

cool karmann collected wrote:
That pump looks really nasty

If you mean my hack job, then yes... if you mean just the pump itself it actually looks nearly identical to the earlier generator/40hp style pumps without the VW logo of course. Those kind are nice because you can rebuild them... replace the innards.

I must have missed the MacGruber comments while I was sleeping![/quote]
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool karmann collected wrote:
That pump looks really nasty, what brand is it? As DBM said, if you pick up one of the sealed ones, you won't go far wrong.

I've found this to be true. I've been running a Mexican-made pump for quite a few years now with no issues at all. I still carry a spare in the parts box.
bberg65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Nice Picts.--Bike Rack? Reply with quote

Planning a summer trip in the next few months and want to bring along 2 maybe 3 bikes. Please let me know about your bike rack...brand, cost, modifications, etc. Thanks, Bill
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Picts.--Bike Rack? Reply with quote

bberg65 wrote:
Planning a summer trip in the next few months and want to bring along 2 maybe 3 bikes. Please let me know about your bike rack...brand, cost, modifications, etc. Thanks, Bill

My guess is that it is this one:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=KA0026
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Picts.--Bike Rack? Reply with quote

bberg65 wrote:

Do a search for bike rack, you'll find the info you seek.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: