Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tencentlife / Vanistan Motors
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K I'm a diesel guy but have always been a huge fan of 10c purely due to the honest, helpful no ego or BS posts he ALWAYS writes. There are quite a few knowledgeable dudes on here but very few who never take forum bait & say something nasty, 10c is one. HUGE points.

As for those dyno numbers, very impressive. And at the wheel too, no driveline loss BS multiplier to inflate things. Nice work!
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the long-term, 50,000 mile attributes of owning a 10¢ engine but I can provide first-person experience of "customer service."

Chris (with some limited assistance from me...it was sort of like one of the Three Stooges assisting Enrico Fermi...dropped one of his engines in my '84 Westy last February. Not only was he a joy to watch and work with but a kind host who let me sleep on his couch, drink his wine, and put up with my odd and occasionally stupid questions with grace and incredible patience. I even burned out the motor on his parts washer getting oil goo of my engine tin and it didn't bother him a bit. "Hey," he said. "It was cheap to begin with and I've been meaning to rebuild it."

About three weeks ago, headed back from a week in Colorado and cruising south on I-25 south of Raton at about 65-70mph and about 3500 miles on the newly reset clock, the new engine abruptly stopped and I rolled to a stop at the side of the road. A turn of the key only made a buzzy sound - almost as if the Bendix gear was bad but I knew that wouldn't make the engine stop - so I knew it was nothing that Mr. Bentley and I could fix on the roadside. I was 203 miles from home and my 200 mile AAA flatbedded me to my driveway. Looking under the valve covers with my wife turning the key, it was clear that while the engine was turning, the rockers were immobile.

That was Wednesday evening. Thursday morning I called Chris: "Um, Abiquiu? We've got a problem." 48 hours later Chris was in my driveway with tools, pulled the engine and took it home to find the problem.

I'll let him give the whole summary if he wishes but basically the timing gear at the cam, I believe - something that never breaks so he hadn't replaced it - had stripped some teeth. Chris has the new and stronger parts on order and the van is still in front of my shop, awaiting Chris' return with the repaired engine - largely rebuilt for a second time to be sure no gear fragments were left behind - in a couple of weeks (I told him to take his time as I had no van plans for July since I've just had some back surgery). Mid-July, about four weeks after the initial problem, I should be back on the road.

I short, I have learned two lessons in the last 30 days that I will pass on to anyone who will listen (or not):

1. If you need any major surgery of any description anywhere on your body, go to the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

2. If you want a new waterboxer in your V'gon and you want it backed up with customer service that is friendly, knowledgeable, complete and fast get it from tencentlife.

My back surgery was largely covered by insurance. My new engine was not but, as far as I'm concerned, it was worth every penny because it came with someone who understands the concept of "service" and had the knowledge and willingness to back up the product he sells.

My 2¢ on 10¢.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm buying, service record/behavior is part of the purchase as far as I'm concerned. If there seems to be a problem with service or someone gets impatient with my questions then I don't buy/deal with them.

I think it is really great of you to brag about 10 cent and to endorse him, many do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks got one of these motors this time last year for their Syncro Westy. I like it so much my van is the August build on tencent's list. Smile I think that says it all. I'm bouncing excited for my new engine, I can't wait to climb hills in 4th!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should not even be a post here, we all know Christ. Mr. perfect! Smile

His work is close to perfection, even if shi* happen sometime:

Quote:
That was Wednesday evening. Thursday morning I called Chris: "Um, Abiquiu? We've got a problem." 48 hours later Chris was in my driveway with tools, pulled the engine and took it home to find the problem.

And that is life. He his human and that id a very good thing. Most of us (passionate and dedicated mechanic) will travel miles and give a leg so customers are happy, it is still NOT good business!!! I give a 2 years warranty on my conversion job!!! I'm must be crazy, VW only give 3 years on a brand NEW car. I'm nothing compare to them, same for Tenc and even GoWesty.

We are NO business men! At all. We will die and other will follow, other stupid passionate guys like us, VW will stay and live long and prosper.

I would drive one of his engine anywhere (And I have built, work, open more than him).

he as done so much for this community that anyone looking for a good stock engine should buy it from him, no question asked.

That said, Tenc, get a real web site with great picture and comment. It will help a lot.

He won't post here because his to humble, I'm not, i'm a bitc*.

I got tired of stock wasser, they got me, they killed me. Tenc still as the force and passion, well, good for him. I just can't anymore. But I still love the van, that is the real problem and that is why I'm still here. Same for Daryl from AA, same for the great B.Bob.

Men ho men.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

He won't post here because his to humble, I'm not, i'm a bitc*.

Ben

Man I hate when soda gets shot out of my nose and all over my computer screen Laughing

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
llamaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: 1.9 to a 2.1 conversion Reply with quote

Hello, I have an 85 Westy Weekender I'm restoring. The Bad news: I noticed cool lent dripping from my 1.9 engine. The Good news: I have a 2.1 wbxr I would like to swap in. I have the ECU and wiring from an 86. Are there significant changes I need to make to the 85 for it to accept the engine?
Question

The 1.9 runs fine (but loud) and has power, but I have noticed the temp gage climbs up when I'm not moving. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Joel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 to a 2.1 conversion Reply with quote

llamaman wrote:
Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Start here-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325561
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: beaches Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Hey! We are Canadian! Our beaches are ALWAYS cold! Frozen means bring your skates instead of your bikini.

Second thought...perhaps we could schedule for a little closer to bikini season.

I read the other thread last night on shipping to Canada...sounds like an option as well.

The other option is to go to Montreal and see Ben but I'm thinking no matter what rebuild I asked for it would come out a Subie! hehe. Maybe I'll stop in today and ask him...we are heading (in the golf) to upper NY state for a concert. Need to pass through his city....

Still like the idea of NM though....

Brian.

Big fan of Parlee Beach when visiting the ancestral lands. Warmest waters north of the Carolinas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, did not realize you had posted up dyno data. Your approach in only posting wheel dyno data and comparing to stock wheel dyno data is the only way to do it. Refreshing to read posts from someone who deals in hard data and clinical evaluation of it. The A/F data is also a very good indication (although many will not realize it) of how well tuned your injection setup is.

These tests also confirm what I suspected about gains to be had with the stock. WBX. It also explains why you recommend the external oil cooler. Getting ~ 30% more HP from a 2.2 liter adds heat loading similar to my setup with the same observations on oil pressure.

Cheers,
Dennis.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Chris had one available when I needed it, I would have bought one of his hands down. That said, I got a 2.2 rebuild from Jerry at NW Connecting Rods in Seattle. I'm very happy with it and he has a great rep.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to get a 10c but being on the east coast makes the whole warranty thing unworkable.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
Love to get a 10c but being on the east coast makes the whole warranty thing unworkable.

Not necessarily. Talk to 10c about how he can work with your local mechanic.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: