Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Reverse lights but power to the *NEW* switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: No Reverse lights but power to the *NEW* switch? Reply with quote

I had an issue with my reverse lights on my standard shift van, replaced the switch on the side of the transmission (also new connectors) and had lights again for a New York Minute before pulling the trans for my conversion.
I don't have lights, but Now when I pop the 2 wires off of the switch, I can touch the 2 wires together get a spark and some lights. That tells me that I have power to the switch.

I have tried testing the switch out of the vehicle with an ohm-meter (DMM) with varying results. should I be able to pull the switch out of the trans, hook up the wires and press the switch to elicit lights? or does the switch have to be grounded on the trans etc.

I think I need another set of hands to operate my shifter in and out of gear to see if it is actuating the switch with a DMM , but shouldn't I be able to with the switch out of the trans be able to push the button and get lights at the back?

Thanks.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the van, but usually if there are 2 wires you don't need ground. And if shorting the wires together gets you lights then ground isn't necessary, unless it's finding ground through something it shouldn't on an extra wire (doubtful).

Use your dmm to check the switch for continuity between the switch housing and either terminal with the switch open and closed.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kbeefy,
Does anyone know does the switch turn on when the pin is out, or when the pin is pushed in?

I am going to run home after work and tear it out again. I remember seeing a post about the cam that triggers the switch but was uncertain about whether the cam pushed the button to make contact or if it let off pressure to make electrical contact. If the latter then maybe I need to shim the switch out?!?
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got a new switch today and pulled the switch that was in it out. a 3 minute job. It took longer to get the van on the ramps. Reverse lights are working great! So I think the switch I put in a few months back was defective from the get go.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: