Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have a (ProSport) ProMariner Dual Battery Charger?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a (ProSport) ProMariner Dual Battery Charger? Reply with quote

I want to keep my batteries (Starter & Auxiliary) healthy while our van is garaged for most of the Winter.

Since it's such a hassle to get a charger on them (removing the driver's seat, etc), I was looking into getting a Duel Battery Charger .

Has anyone installed a (ProSport) ProMariner Duel Battery Charger?

Where did you mount it?

What model did you get?

How's it working?

Thanks
Way before then: '64 Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 2amps, I would think that charger is on the small side for charging your house, and potentially starting battery. I'm no expert, but I would think you'd want more amps flowing to your batteries than that. But then again, you're doing the bulk of your charging while driving anyway, so maybe 2amps is all you really need. If you look around you may also find a better deal.
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
At 2amps, I would think that charger is on the small side for charging your house, and potentially starting battery.

I think that's the input. Wink
More info and other models are on the ProMariner website, But that makes it all the more confusing for me. Confused
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a relay type SurePower or Yandina device to connect the batteries while driving you only need to connect your new charger to the main battery. Then when the main battery is charged enough the device will switch on and charge the other battery too. If you do it this way you can wire the new charger to the alternator post and not need to add anything to the battery box wiring.

Mark

1621 wrote:
At 2amps, I would think that charger is on the small side for charging your house, and potentially starting battery. I'm no expert, but I would think you'd want more amps flowing to your batteries than that. But then again, you're doing the bulk of your charging while driving anyway, so maybe 2amps is all you really need. If you look around you may also find a better deal.
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
If you are using a relay type SurePower or Yandina device to connect the batteries while driving you only need to connect your new charger to the main battery.

I did the GW kit... i.e. they are not connected and thus.. the dual charger.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have the larger kit of the various GW offerings, you can just hook the 2 charging leads from the dual charger to the 2 main solenoid posts. These posts should each already go to a battery in typical installations.

Mark

Corn1849 wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
If you are using a relay type SurePower or Yandina device to connect the batteries while driving you only need to connect your new charger to the main battery.

I did the GW kit... i.e. they are not connected and thus.. the dual charger.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, it in fact looks like an 8 amp unit. Should be plenty for the average 2 battery setup. Google prosport 8 though, looks like you can save yourself a couple bucks.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the ProMite 5 amp single bank and had to return it.

Every time I plugged it in it wouldn't charge til I took off the positive cable and then put it back on.

Their tech said it was "cycle charging" because it wasn't designed for 2 batteries and the combinder. I said the 2nd bat and the combinder should have nothing to do with it and when I pulled it out of the van I put in on a single battery and it did the same.

He said you just have to pull the + cable off to use it then, I said if I go to the trouble to do that I could of just put my big charger on instead.

I returned it and got a Minnkota 6amp that barley fits under the seat but works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your batteries are not combined, maybe this would work for you.

2-Bank Battery Management System

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0165-DL-W...amp;sr=8-6
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it, for the price of those units you could get a Yandina and a little battery charger, mine's 2 amps, and wire them according to any of the auxiliary battery threads here. Plug charger into the outlet with the fridge, wire to auxbat, plug van in, yandina will take care of the details. Oh, perhaps the OP doesn't have a westy?
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
Oh, perhaps the OP doesn't have a westy?
No, I have a Westy, with an auxiliary battery (GoWe$ty Kit) already installed.
What I'm looking for is ... if anyone has installed a ProMariner.. where did you mount it, what model did you get and how's it working.

Not to say I'm not enjoying/enlightened by all of your input. Wink Very Happy
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like the westy in your avatar? Handsome beast.
Sorry to have butted in, there's many good ways to put these things together.
Cheers!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like there are many with the Promariner, at least no one who's seen this thread and willing to contribute. In the absence of that, I will say I have a 6amp charger I picked up from the Odyssey dealer when I bought my batteries. It's essentially the same as what you're looking at, a 3 stage charger for your batteries.

I mounted it on the back wall under the sink. It tucks up nicely, and makes good use of otherwise useless space. It plugs into the outlet under the sink, and is hardwired to the auxiliary battery. When plugged in, the Yandina combiner senses voltage and connects both batteries so they both receive a charge. It automatically comes on whenever I connect the van to shorepower.

I use it at least once a month to 'condition' the batteries. I plug in the van over night and let it rest. The van is driven almost daily, and thus it generally goes rapidly through the bulk and absorption phases, and settles in to a trickle charge. It's been a nice addition, and I feel good about keeping the batteries healthy. After a couple years my batteries will still settle in at 12.7v - 12.8v with no load on an average Portland day, ~65-70 degrees.

I know the review you're looking for is for the Promariner8, but this should give you some idea of my thoughts on battery chargers. Find one with 3-stages, decent output (8 amps seems good), good quality, and able to charge your type of battery (Flooded, Gel, or AGM). Good luck.
bryguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

Just picked up the Prosport 8 dual bank charger. I have the Gowesty Auxiliary kit already connected. I have the Output 2 from the charger directly connected to the house battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding connecting the main charging lead (output 1) of the Prosport to the battery isolator solenoid on the Gowesty kit vs running the cable all the way over to the main starting battery.

Thanks for your input
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

For simplicity you could even hook both of the charger's plus leads to the GW kit solenoid relay. One on each side where the battery wires connect.

Mark

bryguth wrote:
Just picked up the Prosport 8 dual bank charger. I have the Gowesty Auxiliary kit already connected. I have the Output 2 from the charger directly connected to the house battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding connecting the main charging lead (output 1) of the Prosport to the battery isolator solenoid on the Gowesty kit vs running the cable all the way over to the main starting battery.

Thanks for your input
bryguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

[quote="crazyvwvanman"]For simplicity you could even hook both of the charger's plus leads to the GW kit solenoid relay. One on each side where the battery wires connect.

Mark

Good idea thanks Mark...

any suggestions on mounting the ground (black) wire? I was thinking about mounting it to the battery hold down? However, the directions in the Prosport manual indicate the ground wire mounted directly to the battery post too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

I would put the charger negatives under the bolt that attaches the battery negative cable to the body. Make sure those surfaces are all clean. If the batteries were near each other and more accessible it would be more ideal to connect the charger wires to the battery post clamps themselves but in this case practicality trumps. In any future testing you do you need to measure the voltage at the battery posts and compare that to the voltage at the solenoid posts to be sure that a weak connection somewhere isn't excessively reducing the charging voltage. I am assuming that this charger is mostly for vehicle storage charging and occasional overnight hookup use.

Mark

[quote="bryguth"]
crazyvwvanman wrote:
For simplicity you could even hook both of the charger's plus leads to the GW kit solenoid relay. One on each side where the battery wires connect.

Mark

Good idea thanks Mark...

any suggestions on mounting the ground (black) wire? I was thinking about mounting it to the battery hold down? However, the directions in the Prosport manual indicate the ground wire mounted directly to the battery post too...
bryguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

[quote="crazyvwvanman"]I would put the charger negatives under the bolt that attaches the battery negative cable to the body. Make sure those surfaces are all clean. If the batteries were near each other and more accessible it would be more ideal to connect the charger wires to the battery post clamps themselves but in this case practicality trumps. In any future testing you do you need to measure the voltage at the battery posts and compare that to the voltage at the solenoid posts to be sure that a weak connection somewhere isn't excessively reducing the charging voltage. I am assuming that this charger is mostly for vehicle storage charging and occasional overnight hookup use.

Mark

Yep that is exactly what I will be using it for... just want to maxamize the life of my house battery....tomorrow I will hook up the starting battery to the charger and test the continuity of the wires between the solenoid and starting battery....

thanks again for your help

Bryan
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my ProSport 8 in today. The 2nd charger reaches the Aux battery just fine. Has anyone tried what is described in this thread and connect the Starter Battery charger to the terminal and ground in the Aux bay? Sure beats running it all the way across to the passenger side ...
bryguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Prosport 8 Reply with quote

[quote="crazyvwvanman"]For simplicity you could even hook both of the charger's plus leads to the GW kit solenoid relay. One on each side where the battery wires connect.

Mark

Connected the main battery charger leads to the solenoid relay post... works perfect!!! Both batteries charge at the same voltage...

Thanks again Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: