Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

want to add electric windshield washer
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: want to add electric windshield washer Reply with quote

I want to add an electric windshield washer.

I now realise that the access to the squirter in front of the windshield is not easy. How do you get to it to add an electric washer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the pump close to the bottle.. not the nozzle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that, but the nozzle is shut unless you actuate the lever on the steering column.

I want to bypass the column switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a plastic tube and butt the two hoses together.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, I will show you the OE German Porsche/VW electric windshield washer pumps we use to convert the washer system.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this thread useful. I've been using this set up for a year now and love it. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: electric pump Reply with quote

here are a couple pictures of my electric pump.. toughest part is feeding tubing and electric leads through front quarter if you are trying to keep some wires hidden.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Mann,

How is my OE washer setup coming along?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lacking one fitting to complete the first 4 proto-types of the supply lines that (including yours) are long since spoken for. Sorry for being the mad scientist with too many hawk feathers in too many cauldrons
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sweat man! I think youd be more of a witch doctor with the feathers in the cauldron tho!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link. http://www.clubvw.org.au/how_to_modify_those_windscreen_w.htm

Or perhaps this one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...mp;start=0

I think it's a better alternative than the Mexican Beetle electric washer system The Thing Shop sells. I believe the "kit" comes with a dash mounted switch which doesn't look right in my opinion.

I think the key to the whole system is the electrical switch that replaces the washer valve. Throw in a generic washer pump and some wire and you're all set. You can modify the existing reservoir as stated in the link.

I've also heard that some of newer replacement wiper switches may already have some electrical contacts you can use to activate an electrical pump. They were originally intended to activate the intermitant wipers when you pulled on the stalk. Our Things don't have the supporting wire and special relay for that.

As you can see in this picture, this switch has both the washer valve AND a set of contacts that are activated when the stalk is pulled. One could wire up those contacts to activate a pump. I suspect that later Mexican Beetles used a wiper switch that had these contacts. Whether this switch is interchangable with the OEM switch (111953519G) is a good question. Unfortunately, I don't know the part number to the switch in the picture. I believe it's a later bay window bus part.

emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently working on a 79 Beetle convertible and it had the contacts that could be used for a washer button
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=970961
Are there electrical contacts close to where the hose connections are?
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Found this link. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...mp;start=0

I think the key to the whole system is the electrical switch that replaces the washer valve. Throw in a generic washer pump and some wire and you're all set. You can modify the existing reservoir as stated in the link.

Thanks for the link S_D Smile I think I have a package of those Radio Shack pushbuttons out in the shop. Since the spare on my "Kubel" is outside the trunk, I was looking at a pump system. Now I know how to do it Very Happy

BNMike
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead today and removed wiper/turn signal switch assembly. Pretty simple really.

1) Disconnect battery (for safety)
2) Remove horn cover (Snaps off, turn 90, disconnect horn wire)
3) Remove steering wheel (Socket with 6in extension)
3) Unscrew but do not remove the 4 screws holding turn signal/Wiper switch assembly to steering column
4) Carefully remove washer hoses from washer valve
5) Disconnect the two plugs to the switches.
6) Turn/Wiper assembly will slide right out. Be careful to keep upright so those 4 screws and spacers don't fall out.

Once removed I took the switch assembly to my workbench where I have better light and access to tools.

I removed the washer valve assembly from the switch assembly (2 Screws). Modified (hacked) the washer valve (it was broken anyway) so it could be used as a mount for the switch. Reattached the new switch/washer mount and tested.

I found it easier to keep the switch assemblies together. It's stronger when kept as a unit. Becareful not to turn the switch assembly upside down otherwise the mounting screws will fall out. After the switch was mounted, I tested it with a ohm meter. Reinstalled the switch assembly into the car and tested again.

Used the fuel sender hole to route one wire to the front of the car near the existing reservoir. It will get connected to the electric washer pump. The other wire will get connected to the fuse panel.

Just butt connect the two hoses together that were connected to the old washer valve.

Pretty much looks like this: (not my picture)

Note:
Notice that the valve assembley was hacked off flush with mounting flange. In addition, the flange was "flipped? around so the metal plate is now on top. You have to drill out the flange to fit the body of the switch. The mounting nut for the switch should be flush or below the plastic part of the flange. You also have to make a hole under the flange for the switch's button to fit through.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: