Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Regulator Wiring
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Regulator Wiring Reply with quote

My '63 Transporter is 12v. My generator brushes were low and I replaced the generator. Everything was fine then 6 months later the red light stayed on and the headlights got dimmer and wipers slower etc. I exchanged the generator thinking it was faulty, but same problem. I changed the regulator and battery, but still have a red light. I checked my Beetle and it has two red wires attached, but the Transporter only one going to the starter. Should I have another wire and if so does it go directly to the battery?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=698347
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Small Wire (Green) to the Generator
D+ Big Red Wire to the Generator
B+ Big Hot Wire (Red w/Black Stripe) to the battery through the starter
61 Small wire to the idiot light
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-1964 bus should have one wire from regulator to the starter. At the starter the battery cable is connected to same post the regulator wire is bolted to. Earlier regulator mounted on top of the generator.

The wiring diagrams for bus are on this very website!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Do hover your mouse cursor over the "Home", "Classifieds", "Gallery", Etc., at top of webpage, and take a look at all the info possibilities that pop up there.
Then left click on anything in those lists that pop up and explore!!
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you already changed out everything you could. I assume when converted to 12 volts, you are now using a detached voltage regulator. A few things to check:

- Voltage regulator is grounded through the mounting screw

- Generator may need to be "polarized"

- Check/Clean connections
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Regulator wiring Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've tried all these things several times. At least I didn't loose an extra wire somewhere! I will keep working on the ground problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a volt meter? check if any voltage between battery ground and regulator ground.. should be 0 volts.
fubab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for troubleshooting:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm
It glared at him from his own soul, and dogged him all his days. He knew only too well the human propensity to displace the real with the illusory, which is not restricted to the individual. It operates in human systems . . .
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Regulator wiring Reply with quote

I checked the wiring again, polarized the generator again then changed the regulator for the one in my Beetle and Hey presto! Light goes out. Everything honky dory. Just have to buy another for the Beetle now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you!!!

Buy two new regulators. That way you can have a spare one on the shelf for next time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: