Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

#39...It's Mine!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: #39...It's Mine!!! Reply with quote

A couple friends on the forum knew I was looking to buy this, but I've pretty much kept it quiet until now.

Yesterday I arrived at Denmat Cars in Massachusetts and left with a new toy...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(I'm the big one)

This Manxter was assembled by John Denmat from Denmat Cars out of Foresdale, MA. He's been using it as a demo model for a few years and many of you have probably seen it at Carlisle. John decided it was time to move on and decided I was a worthy owner of his creation. This particular car is running a 300ph turbo charged Subaru from Outfront Motors dyno'd at 220hp at the wheel. I took it for a test drive and it drives like a dream. I'm looking forward to many happy summers with this car. Unfortunately I've got a ton of redtape to go through here in Pennsylvania before I can legally drive it! Big thanks go out to John Denmat and his brother Dave. They're some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and make some very nice cars. If anyone is in the market for a completed Manxter you can't go wrong with Denmat.

For anyone who hasn't seen this Manxter in person here are some more pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ajhostetler75/Manxter?feat=directlink

PS- If anyone here plans on going to Jim's Custom VW German Jubille VW Show next weekend (July 10th-11th)in Columbiana, OH I'm going to have it out there.
DrumDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet ride! Do you have more pictures?
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tight fit on that trailer, but it looks like it works! Glad to see the deal went "down". See you soon. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phillipmurrieta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome! Sincerest congrats!
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations... on your new toy and that is one great looking Manxter. Cool
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrumDawg wrote:
That is a sweet ride! Do you have more pictures?

So far just the ones I linked too.. Once I get it home many more will follow
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
That is a tight fit on that trailer, but it looks like it works! Glad to see the deal went "down". See you soon. Tom

I'ts not as tight as it looks in the picture.. There's close to a full foot from the rear bumper to the gate (the front bumper extends passed the front of the trailer a tad). I'd like a LITTLE more weight on the hitch ideally, but it's not floating around, just a tad bouncy.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73SB
You got yourself a great car. I checked it out thoroughly at Carlisle this year. John and Dave do excellent work. Their attention to detail and fit and finish make an absolutely awesome vehicle. Congrats on a fine purchase!!

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
73SB
You got yourself a great car. I checked it out thoroughly at Carlisle this year. John and Dave do excellent work. Their attention to detail and fit and finish make an absolutely awesome vehicle. Congraithts on a fine purchase!!

Vince

Thanks Vince.. With any luck at all I'm going to have it out your way the second week in September.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! ! ! ! If that isn't just sensational, what is ! ? ! ? ! ?

Congratulations !

T
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.....I've admired the buggy several times at Carlisle. Well built and it's got it all.

Enjoy it!
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I kinda feel like I 'cheated' buying a completed one, but I spent the past 4 years completely rebuilding the Berrien Citation that's still my Avatar. When I bought it to rebuild, a two seater was all I needed, but during the course of the rebuild I had a daughter and so I get it finished to find that I now need something with 4 seats! Didn't want to delay the reward of all that hard work for another 4 years or so, so when John told me he was selling his Manxter, I jumped on the chance.

And of course, tinkering with stuff is in my nature. I already have a long list of mods I want to make to really make it 'mine' (to my wife's dismay).
chris_parks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wife wasn't already dismayed that you bought it?

Dang... Nice wife friend!
Very Happy
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_parks wrote:
Your wife wasn't already dismayed that you bought it?

Dang... Nice wife friend!
Very Happy

Heck, she likes it almost as much as I do!
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats man that is awesome!
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/forum_show.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put it through the Pa enhanced safety inspection this past weekend and it went fine. Stupid Pa won't issue me a temporary registration though so it has to sit in my garage until everything gets processed by Harrisburg.. and they give themselves up to 90 days! I'm dying here!
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that must really suck. Like a kid who gets his Christmas present in October but has to wait until December 26th to play with it. We expect a full report though once you do get to drive it.

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough rule! In CT, after it passes inspection, they give you the new VIN and you have to go to your insurance company and get a insurance card. Insurance policy is based on VIN. Once you have the proof of insurance, they will register it and give you plates. It can be done in one (long) day.

I know it must be tempting, but don't do anything "stupid" while waiting for the legal way to play out. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
That is a tough rule! In CT, after it passes inspection, they give you the new VIN and you have to go to your insurance company and get a insurance card. Insurance policy is based on VIN. Once you have the proof of insurance, they will register it and give you plates. It can be done in one (long) day.

I know it must be tempting, but don't do anything "stupid" while waiting for the legal way to play out. Tom

I've been running it up and down the little back road I live on. We never see cops out here, but that's it.

I'm just hoping they don't take the full 90 days! In the past, with regular registration, I've gotten it back in as few as 30 days, so i'm crossing my fingers.
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: #39...It's Mine!!! Reply with quote

I'm not one who usually revives 11 year old posts, but I thought I would continue this one here.
Manxter #39 has returned to Massachusetts! I bought it from 73SpeedBuggy about 1 year ago.
I live 20 mins from Denmat Cars and visited with John along with my wife when we were thinking of building a Manxter. We also considered a black one, partially built, which CoolRydes had for sale for quite a while.
The biggest concern we had with building one, was getting it registered in Massachusetts.
#39 popped up on FB Marketplace, which at the time I very rarely visited.
After knowing #39 was built in Massachusetts and carried a Massachusetts generated special construction VIN, the purchase was a no brainer. I would not see an opportunity like this one again! Also, I was in contact with the builder, John at Denmat cars during the process.
Having done several Vanagon and Superbeetle to Subaru power conversions, #39 is a perfect fit.
Manxter #39 lives on back home on Cape Cod (if your not from here), near Cape Cod (if your from here). I'm on the mainland side of the Cape Cod canal......................
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: