Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil in cv joint
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: oil in cv joint Reply with quote

So, passenger axle has a torn boot at the wheel and oil in the transmission side cv joint.

As I opened the boot to inject grease a cup (or so) of runny tar came out.

I've ordered an entire half axle and looking through the available parts on van cafe I reckoned I needed one of these
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_596_783/drive_axle_seal_manual.html

I went through the bentley but couldn't find mention of this part.

Did I guess right?

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bus/beetle it just clicks in there. Some black RTV sealant on the outside of the seal about 1/4" thick and allowed to cure after cleaning the area with brake cleaner, will seal it up well and keep it from leaking.

Never done one on a vanagon though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Randy, being a hack.. I would have forgoten the rtv.

Would you happen to know how much oil the tranny takes? Bentley said 4.something when I quickly glanced through it this morning. But a search here indicated people have spent about $50 on oil (mt90) which would seem to say they dropped in a gallon.

Also, I'm not an oil expert, but which weight would you recommend to cover all New England seasons, redline mt 80 or 90?

Apologies, both the weight and amount questions are probably covered but I cant find the answers

[edit] Re-worked my search terms. Fwiw a Gallon should suffice (I must have misread the bentley) and MT90 is the way to go

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Changing-gearbox-oil101.htm

thanks

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Vanagons. I am a baywindow and we just use GL4 from NAPA. We use 3.7 quarts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: oil in cv joint Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
So, passenger axle has a torn boot at the wheel and oil in the transmission side cv joint.

As I opened the boot to inject grease a cup (or so) of runny tar came out.

I've ordered an entire half axle and looking through the available parts on van cafe I reckoned I needed one of these
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_596_783/drive_axle_seal_manual.html

I went through the bentley but couldn't find mention of this part.

Did I guess right?

Not exactly. I'd say you need the seal which fits inside the flange of the gearbox.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Photos taken from Mccavitti post)

If the seal you have flagged up was leaking, there would be oil spraying all over the place from the outside edge of the flange.

As it's gearbox oil which is leaking through, you should check the gearbox oil level too Smile

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: oil in cv joint Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

Not exactly. I'd say you need the seal which fits inside the flange of the gearbox.

If the seal you have flagged up was leaking, there would be oil spraying all over the place from the outside edge of the flange.

As it's gearbox oil which is leaking through, you should check the gearbox oil level too Smile

MG

Thanks! that's very helpful... so..

Well, the starter solenoid is getting wet. Let me backtrack. About 500 miles ago I noticed a very slight resonating in 4th between 35-45. That was pinned down to cv joint and I only recently had time to inspect.

Inspection showed outside joint boot to be badly ripped, inside full of oil. I suspect that the outside was dry and the vibration wore a seal around the axle.

I'm due for a 400 mile round trip this weekend, half axle and seal have been ordered. Oil level was up to the fill hole (albeit with rear end on 8" ramp)

My question to you is, given this further info. do you still think it's the flange? I've no problem R&Ring the part, but it's starting to sound like I should avoid this upcoming trip if its more than just the axle & seal.

cheers /pauric

RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I don't know about Vanagons. I am a baywindow and we just use GL4 from NAPA. We use 3.7 quarts.

On the off chance I don't get my redline mt90 here in time, are you saying this stuff is a substitute?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=FHQ85401_0006416239

Tracey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this job yesterday on my westy.
The oil was leaking from a different point so I had to change the oil seal, The flange cap is what is most likely leaking on yours. Here is a good wright up and pictures. www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249639&highlight=flange+seal Look to see if oil is coming from behind the CV joint (closest to the transmission) or if its just leaking into the boot.
The only place you might want to use a little rtv is on the cap itself.
Not the hardest job on a van a couple of hours it was over and done.
Hope it helps.
Tracey
I love the Vans!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

On the off chance I don't get my redline mt90 here in time, are you saying this stuff is a substitute?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=FHQ85401_0006416239

That is what we use in a baywindow. Some interesting reading over here...

http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Transaxle.html
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone -

Updated my order with vancafe for the caps & circlips.
Thanks for the link to the thread with pictures, doesn't look like a big job.
Found a local supplier of redline but will grab some napa gl4 tractor oil and top up the tranny if I can't get this job done before friday.

Karma dollars are in the ethermail.

/pauric

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our brand at NAPA is "Sta-Lube" GL4.

Tell them that is what you want.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Transaxle.html

Nice article, makes me feel better about running synthetic motor oil in my transmissions. Wish oil analysis were cheaper so I would be willing to do it more readily.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like you lost too much oil from the gearbox, it can look like a lot when it's splattered all over place.

Sounds like you got it sorted Smile

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
It doesn't sound like you lost too much oil from the gearbox, it can look like a lot when it's splattered all over place.

Sounds like you got it sorted Smile

MG

You're right, but it's not going to get any better and sounds like the flange.. I'll replace both seal and flange anyway when I get the axle. I got some gl-4 80/90 (dino) to top up for now in case I do the road trip before the parts arrive. Then will put in the mt 80 or 90 when I do the job.

thanks for your help /pauric

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: