Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Since you are running a 12 volt system this one in the lowest of the left page probably would work:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not at all sure why it would need a separate ground wire though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Since you are running a 12 volt system ..

Nope, 6V system 😉
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Then third one down from top on the right page.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Found another relay to try. A good used German Hella 91MS2J2 x 18W-6V relay, with +15, S54, and K marked terminals. It flashes the speedo indicator with ignition switch turned on, and does not with key switched off. Exterior turn and E-flashers work with ignition switch turned off or on. Nice healthy click/clunk to it so easy to hear as long as not parking right next to a Jack hammer being operated. Can be screw adjusted for faster or slower flasher cycling.
Nice to have that all work as it should after 30 years!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
A good used German Hella 91MS2J2 x 18W-6V relay, with +15, S54, and K marked terminals. !

Pictures?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Here are images of the relay. Had to do two and turn it to show off the OG print on the side.

Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up this thread, but have been having similar issues with my flasher/blinker indicators and want to follow up on this after work today.

Currently all exterior indicators work regardless if ignition is on or off.

Interior blinker indicators only light up when ignition is off.

Hazard indictor light to the left of the steering wheel is not wired up so does not work either way.

Can get photos of my flasher unit and wiring once I get the kick plate off
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Our DEC62 built SC does not have the separate E-flasher indicator light on the dash.

Will be interesting to see what you have.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:

Can get photos of my flasher unit and wiring once I get the kick plate off

Any updates??
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Got side tracked by life but will try to get some pics today.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Got side tracked by life but will try to get some pics today.

Any updates? Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Found this in the classifieds:

Quote:
This is OEM (Original Equipment Manufactured)
New Old Stock Flasher Relay 111 953 185C
3 prong (49a/S, 31, 49+) 6 volt

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Found another relay candidate in the classifieds, but in used untested condition, so no new box with VW part number. Looks same, but has the Hella part number 91ES4J2 x 18W - 6. Do wonder why the single digit change in the part number....

Terminals are marked:

49a/S

+49
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

See my primary post in this forum regarding where I have been over the past few weeks.

Here are some pics that I took of my dash wiring and flasher relay. The relay appears to work properly as the exterior blinkers themselves work fine when the switch on the steering wheel is engaged. As mentioned previously, the dash indicators only blink when the ignition is in the "off" position. During my recent engine pull we found quite a few "creative" wiring issues, some of which we rectified, but others, including much of the dash wiring, still need to be looked at.

Wiring around the speedo. I cannot make head nor tails of what is going where here.

Flasher relay

Fuse block.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

You will probably need to find a three terminal flasher that has the correct workings to get it all functioning correctly.

Here is a thread that shows a modern 12 volt relay that might work. If one is running 6 volt it would be still good info, using the 12 volt part number one might get a lead on a 6 volt version of that.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715249&highlight=blinker

If anyone pursues that lead, would be very interested in the out come!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Decided to do a search of the WWW for "flasher relay 6 volt 31, 49a, 49" and found a few more results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=flasher+relay+6+volt+31%2C+49a%2C+49&t=canonical&ia=web
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Use a flasher relay from and early bay. I have been running one for 20 years and it works fine. The only thing you need to do is add a ground wire, the original used the case and mounting stud as the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

My flasher relay is 3 terminal. I am currently running a 12v electrical system on bus.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
My flasher relay is 3 terminal. I am currently running a 12v electrical system on bus.

It should be a 4 terminal, 3 wires and the case mounting stud is ground. There are 2 sets of contacts in it. One is the bi metal that gives the turn signal on off on terminal S and + and another that gives the indicator a switched GROUND for its's function on terminal K and case ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal/emergency flasher wiring issue Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

It should be a 4 terminal, 3 wires and the case mounting stud is ground. There are 2 sets of contacts in it. One is the bi metal that gives the turn signal on off on terminal S and + and another that gives the indicator a switched GROUND for its's function on terminal K and case ground.

Should be grounded thru the mounting bracket shown below.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: