Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Taking responsibility for your own actions......
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

This is just an interesting observation that might help some of you out in the future. Now, before I even begin, I will be discussing an EMPI part that was continually being returned to me as defective. Please do not make any stupid posts about all EMPI being crap blah, blah blah. What I'm saying applies to all sellers, all manufacturers, all brands and really isn't even VW parts specific.

I had been selling the EMPI hydraulic park lock, part #3155. In less that a year, I had gotten six back from different customers that claimed they worked for a while, then started leaking and not holding anymore. After going through all the simple questions and answers, I took them back and gave full refunds. After that, I stopped selling them completely thinking they were junk. Last week we decided to take them apart, see if we could find the cause of the failures and if not, return them for credit or throw them in the garbage. To our suprise, each and every one was filled with dirty, slimey brake fluid sludge. So we cleaned them, reassembled them and POOF, they worked perfect again.

The morale of the story is, please look at what YOU as the customer is doing and don't instantly blame someone else when things don't work. Remember, I am also a customer of all my suppliers and I have to think like this every day. I 100% understand that this is one example. Obviously, not everything works like this; but more things do than you think.

The other problem is the trickle down effect from this. I can't tell you with 100% accuracy, but this problem cost me at least 12 total hours of time. In that 12 hours, I could have built 3 longblocks. Instead I was dealing with 6 unhappy customers on the phone, arranging return shipping, crediting their credit cards and ultimately fixing 6 parts because they didn't change their brake fluid. And remember, I sell thousands of different parts and this was only one of them.

So I am asking you to please exhaust all possibilites, talk to friends, post on thesmaba do whatever you can to figure out the problem first. Then, if you can't, please call whoever you bought the part from and KINDLY explain what happened, why you think it happened and what you did to try and fix it. This attitude will ALWAYS get you help faster than calling and saying "You sold me junk, I want my money back" with no explination or details.

One last point, I am in no way saying that Mofoco or any other manufacturers are perfect and don't make mistakes because they and we do. No one is perfect but I know for a fact that MOST(I can't speak for everyone) are really doing the best job they can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If six different customers experienced the same problem, is it possible the manufacturer has not been clear enough in specifying the maintenance requirements of the part? I'm not in the business, but it seems unusual to me as a casual observer that six different customers are all bad at following the manufacturer's maintenance instructions.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
If six different customers experienced the same problem, is it possible the manufacturer has not been clear enough in specifying the maintenance requirements of the part? I'm not in the business, but it seems unusual to me as a casual observer that six different customers are all bad at following the manufacturer's maintenance instructions.

I would never blame the vendor for the shittiness that pervades EMPI's quality control. I know Roy didn't want this thread to turn into an "EMPI sucks" thread, but I just wanted to say that for me it wouldn't be about the vendor, but the manufacturer, in terms of product quality.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73stroker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, look at what you've done first and then seek the store out for review of the product.

Seems like common sense to me Roy, but sometimes common sense is not so common.
A-1 Sidewinder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be par for the course from customers in general that would use an Empi part in their brake system. I wonder how often Jamar has this issue.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one back just today that leaks around the push button stem.
The original was installed on a trike like this for about a year and then started leaking.
I know the fluid in it was clean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new one I sold him leaked around the stem right out of the package.
He took the old one apart and installed a new o-ring and it was OK.
I wonder if the factory o-ring is not brake fluid compatible in this case.

69 Jim wrote:
I think that would be par for the course from customers in general that would use an Empi part in their brake system. I wonder how often Jamar has this issue.

15 years ago EMPI did sell Jamar park locks.
I sold them with never an issue.
When EMPI decided to make it themselves is when they turned to crap.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to admit, Im no advocate for Empi products but I do use them. Some parts interior and misc stuff I do and would continue to use. Structural and internal parts ie: crank, rotating parts, brakes, etc ; I do shy from using. I know to many of Thesamba enthusiasts that to use Empi products are tantamount to betrayal to our country.But, even the more regarded quality performance suppliers have issues with the quality of their products. It just happens. With that being said, I noticed that installation instructions are terrible and ill informing for even certain high quality performance suppliers ( which i choose not to mention specifically). A handful of companies do go out of their way to offer service or offer insight to products they sell. Some parts you just cant guess how to install, especially if youve never installed it before. Not everyone possesses the mechanical apititude to automatically know how parts work together or in conjunction. Sometimes trial and error installing is in order. Other times, parts you cant trial and order it or risk ruining a seal , gasket, etc. What I would like to see is better and more detailed installation instructions, manufacturers recommended fluids, etc, and not just fancy disclaimers. I do appreciate however, your zeal and approach to awesome customer service. As an owner Roy, I cant imagine the patience and composure you must have to deal with rude and ornery customers.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
I got one back just today that leaks around the push button stem.
The original was installed on a trike like this for about a year and then started leaking.
I know the fluid in it was clean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new one I sold him leaked around the stem right out of the package.
He took the old one apart and installed a new o-ring and it was OK.
I wonder if the factory o-ring is not brake fluid compatible in this case.

69 Jim wrote:

15 years ago EMPI did sell Jamar park locks.
I sold them with never an issue.
When EMPI decided to make it themselves is when they turned to crap.

Forgive the temporary hijack, but that is quite a wild build. Cool
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
I will have to admit, Im no advocate for Empi products but I do use them. Some parts interior and misc stuff I do and would continue to use. Structural and internal parts ie: crank, rotating parts, brakes, etc ; I do shy from using. I know to many of Thesamba enthusiasts that to use Empi products are tantamount to betrayal to our country.But, even the more regarded quality performance suppliers have issues with the quality of their products. It just happens. With that being said, I noticed that installation instructions are terrible and ill informing for even certain high quality performance suppliers ( which i choose not to mention specifically). A handful of companies do go out of their way to offer service or offer insight to products they sell. Some parts you just cant guess how to install, especially if youve never installed it before. Not everyone possesses the mechanical apititude to automatically know how parts work together or in conjunction. Sometimes trial and error installing is in order. Other times, parts you cant trial and order it or risk ruining a seal , gasket, etc. What I would like to see is better and more detailed installation instructions, manufacturers recommended fluids, etc, and not just fancy disclaimers. I do appreciate however, your zeal and approach to awesome customer service. As an owner Roy, I cant imagine the patience and composure you must have to deal with rude and ornery customers.

My biggest issue with EMPI is their sloppy, horrendous customer/product support. Bugpack will give you much better product support, in my experience, even if you do end up taking the product back to the vendor. EMPI is full of incompetent boobs that only care about the bottom dollar.

It's so ironic that the iconic EMPI name is so attached to such toilet gravy-level of quality, given how the opposite was true with the original EMPi company under Joe Vittone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, shitty people makes shitty problem products twice as bad to deal with. And it seems these days, the uneducated and impatient outnumber the educated and patient. So we find ourselves dealing with trashy idiots who are quick to blame you for their issues.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park lock customer is a friend of mine that owns a HD shop.
His customer owns a funeral home and this hearse.
He wanted a park lock so he could hold the trike in place with the brakes rather than just leaving it in gear.
I guess when loading and unloading the hearse it has a bit of forward and aft movement he doesn't like.
In this case the customer did what he was supposed to do on the install and the product failed.

It is pretty cool though........ Cool

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a EMPI bash, but here is my experience...

I bought a 3.5 quart sump (several years ago) .... Trying to install it I realized, the washers that go against upper sump plate (to case) that the shoulder nuts were to seat on were to big to go into "machined " area of sump where it was supposed to accept the washers.... Sump was machined to accept a "SAE style" washer ( narrow) and in package that was sent were wrought style washers (wide)... So for sake of expedience I machined down the wrought style washer to fit into sump. Later I sent EMPI a e-mail describing the problem (never got response)...

A year or so later I broke sump on a "F%$#($#" speed bump... Purchased a new EMPI 3.5 quart sump and went to install it... Surprise, or maybe double surprize... The washers were correct size for earlier sump (SAE) but the machining in sump now was larger to accept wrought style washer...... ( I actually dumped the SAE washer for the wrought as it has more compression area).....

In the end I guess some where along the way EMPI tried to get it fixed.... Problem is they did it twice with two different approaches.... Increased diameter of machined area to accept wrought washers and then changed washers in package to earlier style SAE washers....

Or maybe the just changed suppliers and the new supplier could actually read the machining specifications and parts list for bolting material......

Oh well...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Please do not make any stupid posts about all EMPI being crap blah, blah blah.

Here we go................

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Simple solution, whether anyone wants to hear it or not, is to say "Fuck Empi," and go through a better supplier. Laughing I don't care if this is considered a "stupid Empi is all crap" post, it's true. EMPI sucks donkey dick.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Simple solution, whether anyone wants to hear it or not, is to say "Fuck Empi," and go through a better supplier. Laughing I don't care if this is considered a "stupid Empi is all crap" post, it's true. EMPI sucks donkey dick.

Wow, I guess simple instructions are hard to follow. Please replace "EMPI" is "ACME" and please replace the "park lock" with "rocket pack" Now, how about I tell the story of a rocket pack made by Acme that I sold to a customer. The instructions clearly state "If you do not properly strap rocket pack to back, this may cause bodily injury or death." Two weeks later I get a call from said customer's wife who is upset that her husband died using my rocket pack. When I ask if he used the required straps, her reply is "You mean these things that are still in the box?"

Look, I really was just trying to convey the idea that not everything is the fault of the manufacturer or the store you bought the part from. I was speaking in very GENERAL terms using a SPECIFIC example. Sometimes the person who messed it up is looking right back in the mirror. Do you know how I know? Becuase I have broken more shit than most people and guess what? It was all my fault. I use these products every single day and I'm fucking tired of SOME people generalizing that "all company 1 is shit" or "all company 2 is shit" I'm sorry but you are full of shit!! Unless you build hundreds of engines per year for 40 plus years and/or have built over 1000 yourself, stick to talking about personal experiences only. Period. If you used X part from Y company and hated it, then by all means say it loud and proud. But if your sister's cousin's boyfriend's former roommate heard from a guy who told a girl that the part is shit, no one really cares. You are spreading MISINFORMATION, cut it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Wow, I guess simple instructions are hard to follow. Please replace "EMPI" is "ACME" and please replace the "park lock" with "rocket pack" Now, how about I tell the story of a rocket pack made by Acme that I sold to a customer. The instructions clearly state "If you do not properly strap rocket pack to back, this may cause bodily injury or death." Two weeks later I get a call from said customer's wife who is upset that her husband died using my rocket pack. When I ask if he used the required straps, her reply is "You mean these things that are still in the box?"

Look, I really was just trying to convey the idea that not everything is the fault of the manufacturer or the store you bought the part from. I was speaking in very GENERAL terms using a SPECIFIC example. Sometimes the person who messed it up is looking right back in the mirror. Do you know how I know? Becuase I have broken more shit than most people and guess what? It was all my fault. I use these products every single day and I'm fucking tired of SOME people generalizing that "all company 1 is shit" or "all company 2 is shit" I'm sorry but you are full of shit!! Unless you build hundreds of engines per year for 40 plus years and/or have built over 1000 yourself, stick to talking about personal experiences only. Period. If you used X part from Y company and hated it, then by all means say it loud and proud. But if your sister's cousin's boyfriend's former roommate heard from a guy who told a girl that the part is shit, no one really cares. You are spreading MISINFORMATION, cut it out.

I have not built hundreds of engines for 40+ years(I wonder how long Gex has been around), but Empi is still shit.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Wow, I guess simple instructions are hard to follow.
Please replace "EMPI" is "ACME" and please replace the "park lock" with "rocket pack" Now, how about I tell the story of a rocket pack made by Acme that I sold to a customer. The instructions clearly state "If you do not properly strap rocket pack to back, this may cause bodily injury or death." Two weeks later I get a call from said customer's wife who is upset that her husband died using my rocket pack. When I ask if he used the required straps, her reply is "You mean these things that are still in the box?"

I don't take orders from you or anyone else on this site, Roy. Laughing

And the arrogance of the rest of this post is hilarious... Saying EMPI make shitty parts is not misinformation, it's like saying the sky is blue. I've had plenty of Empi parts fail either in use or coming out of the package, primarily when I was younger and didn't know better. Thank God those days are over.
Here's a suggestion. Since I, and apparently anyone else that doesn't hold EMPI on a fucking pedastal is "full of shit," why don't you talk to someone in the biz like John at Aircooled.net, and see what he has to say about EMPI and their shitty fucking ass product support? He's made comments on this site, look them up yourself.
I started out in my earlier reply agreeing with you to an extent on how to approach situations such as what you first brought up, but, IMO, you're way over the top in your remarks. Fact is you may not want to hear it, but this is an internet forum and it's inevitable that every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to insert their two cents.
Mention EMPI and odds are there's going to be a lot of harsh words.
How many engines you've built in your lifetime or even today for that matter could matter less to me. The attitude displayed here speaks more than mere words.
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I have not built hundreds of engines for 40+ years(I wonder how long Gex has been around), but Empi is still shit.
I've bought and used more empi products that have done their job properly than not...fact of the matter is usually its joe smo who buys a chrome factory replacement pulley and tries to run the thing at 8000 rpm and it fails and then cries its crap...where if its used for the application it was designed for (factory recommended rpm's) its failure rate is acceptable.... Some Empi stuff is pretty bad quality ...but they dont lie about it in their price and you paid the price so you know what to expect... I was afraid to try Empi stuff at all because of all the propaganda here but from personal experience the stuff I have has been no worse than the stuff it replaced.. And i was pretty impressed at the catolog of stuffthey put together, some of which they are they only ones to bother to provide such parts
Anyway Roy I for one understand the point you were trying to make regardless of EMPI.
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking responsibility for your own actions...... Reply with quote

Augiedoggy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
jbbugs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I've bought and used more empi products that have done their job properly than not...fact of the matter is usually its joe smo who buys a chrome factory replacement pulley and tries to run the thing at 8000 rpm and it fails and then cries its crap...where if its used for the application it was designed for (factory recommended rpm's) its failure rate is acceptable.... Some Empi stuff is pretty bad quality ...but they dont lie about it in their price and you paid the price so you know what to expect... I was afraid to try Empi stuff at all because of all the propaganda here but from personal experience the stuff I have has been no worse than the stuff it replaced.. And i was pretty impressed at the catolog of stuffthey put together, some of which they are they only ones to bother to provide such parts
Anyway Roy I for one understand the point you were trying to make regardless of EMPI.

Bottom line is this: regardless of brand, VW people are cheap asses, and that makes it harder for the good companies who give a shit to stay in business. People bitch about Gene Berg Enterprises prices, but you never hear people complain about constant breakage or shitty quality there.
one2boost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 or so years ago, I had that Bugpack packaged Jamar park-lok fail in similar fashion as turboblue mentioned. Took it apart and replaced all the o-rings and reassembled. It worked great again. So, I guess I had one of those that failed back in the day, big deal.

For me I am not one of those cheap VW owners that gets associated with this hobby. I do have my share of Berg cranks and various parts, Scat, Bugpack, and CB Performance cranks and various other parts as well. For me, before I throw my money to purchase parts, I take the time to do the research. Currently looking to invest in an M-Spec crank a friend of mine told me about.

I have some EMPI stuff as well. But I know enough that the parts I purchase are not actually made EMPI. For instance, aluminum bubble top stroker cases, are made by Auto Linea. Pistons and cylinders in the recognizable Mahle box, pistons with the same Mahle stampings and embossments casted in, made by Mahle. KEP pressure plates with the same KEP stampings, yup made by KEP. My point is, just because it has the EMPI sticker with the EMPI part number, doesn't always mean it's made by EMPI. EMPI is a large parts distributor like NAPA. They buy parts in bulk from different companies then sell them to different parts stores. Similar to what Bugpack, Scat, IAP, and CB Performance does.

But there are a few EMPI parts that they took it a step further, copied and sold with the EMPI logo on it. Such as weber like carbs and other things I can't really think of right now. It's actually a common practice, back in the 70's Auto-Haus copied the DDS oil sump design, just put there own embossment. It's not a new practice.

So basically everyone should research the part before buying it. At least inspect it at the parts counter before buying it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: