Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For those installing a GW replacement skylight/vent, Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty much a plug and play operation.

Unbolt the old, bolt in the new.

Make sure you seal under the screw heads, Strip Caulk is the preferred product though it is hard to source in small quantities!

I have some, post me a PM with an address and I'll drop a few strips in an envelope for you.

Why not Silicone?
It is horrible stuff! It lets go after a few years and it leaves a heineous hard to remove residue that prevents anything else from sticking!

If you must use Phenoseal, it's a better product. I used Black engine RTV for my seal bulb ends and fir the seal channel.

Remove the old weatherstrip and ckean up any old residue with a solvent.... Lacquer thinner works well.

Source a small length of Caulk backer to slip into the seal bulb ends .....
prevent water infiltration.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next, sparingly squeeze some sealant inside the bead clip. Push it on and clean up any oozing mess.

Install your new skylight and you're good to go.

Do look for fiberglass cracks, mine seeped water in heavy rain.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. So, silicone for screws, tape for the seal. PM sent.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My leak was coming from one of the bolts that attach the skylight arms. Whatever it was that the previous installer used for the bolts had dried up and cracked.

I replaced the seal, the lens, and all the hardware recently and it seems to be water tight so far. I did not use anything under the new seal, as it fits tightly over the lip, and I used Loctite under the bolts mostly because that is what I had on hand (not sure if that is the best thing to use really).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. So, silicone for screws, tape for the seal. PM sent.

No........ Step away from the Silicone!

Use the strip caulk under the hardware.

Yes, Silicone will work ......... For awhile then it lets go. It leaves behind a slick residue which wreaks havoc with paint or other sealants.

Got your PM.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jerrydog411"]
Noganav T3 wrote:
Great thread and nice pics. Does anybody know who has the best price on the replacement skylight? is the skylight guy still around?

Trevor is still around .. got mine from him last spring.

www.theskylightguy.com

IIRC ... most of the online vendors and a big portion (if not all) of the NA dealers & some of the European ones sell Skylight parts and kits .. and they are from Trevor ... the skylight guy.

His stuff is great and his service is the best ... buy your stuff from him & if you have any issues with it or installing .. call him & he'll walk you through it.

My Westy did not have a skylight; so, I had some trepidation & made sure to measure 4 or 6 times prior to cutting a hole in the roof . This is of particular importance in the PNW!

that website died

should I go with GogoWesty? or is there a better option for a replacement skylight?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusDepot is handling their stuff now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618110

Busdepot wrote:
The Skylight Guy and Delta Six are not gone, but their focus has changed. As some of you may know, Trevor and Cheri divided their VW efforts among three areas - producing original Delta Six replacement parts for Westfalia campers, producing poptop skylights for the same, and retailing various VW products in their online store. We at the Bus Depot worked closely with them, distributing their products in the U.S. and supplying many of the products that they sold online in Canada.

Trevor and Cheri have decided to go out of the retail business in order to spend more time traveling in their Westy and enjoying other pursuits. Most of the items in their online store are available from The Bus Depot. (In fact they bought many of them from us in the first place, such as the aforementioned gray water tanks). To better serve the Canadian market, we have expanded our toll-free order desk line to work from Canada and negotiated steep discounts to Canada with Fedex. (Those discounts may not be reflected in the web checkout for some time, but please feel free to email Fred at [email protected] right after placing your order. He can quote you and adjust your shipping charge before your order is actually processed.)

As for the products that Trevor and Cheri produce - the Delta Six replacement camper parts such as inlets, faucets, etc., plus the Skylight Guy poptop skylights - all or most of them will continue to be available through the Bus Depot. We have bought the Delta Six trademark, molds, and tooling, and plan to keep the brand and OEM products alive. Trevor and Cheri will continue to assemble the parts for us in Canada using the original molds, as they always have, in periodic batches between their other endeavors. While this may result in sporadic stockouts - time will tell - it will keep the products available to the VW community. Trevor also intends to continue making skylights as time allows, which we will of course continue to sell.

Trevor and Cheri are great people and all of us in the VW community owe them a tremendous debt for the over-and-above work they did to save the OEM Delta Six product line, which was at death's door before they revamped all of the molds and tooling, updated the products for the 21st century, and kept these rare OEM parts alive when nobody else would step up to the plate. Were it not for their tremendous effort and expertise, many stock replacement parts for our campers would be gone forever. It is the Bus Depot's intention to keep that dream alive.

You can find most of the OEM Delta Six products and Skylight Guy skylights on our Delta Six page http://www.busdepot.com/details/deltasix/. This transition is very new (as of January 1, 2015), but over time we hope to expand the Delta Six line with additional OEM products. If you have any difficulty finding products on BusDepot.com that Trevor and Cheri used to offer, please don't hesitate to email Fred at [email protected] and he can point you in the right direction.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWC wrote:
Here's the original (1982)

I have a crack in item #14 of this diagram - the cover for the hinged arm, etc,

Any ideas about what glue to use to reinforce it?

I have the poly "wood" glue that expands, epoxy, and cyano acrylate, & maybe some others.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model glue. It "welds" the plastic together.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Testors-3507AT-Liquid-Plasti...ue+testors
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx! wasn't sure what type of plastic this was
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the skylight guy still around?

Quote:
BusDepot is handling their stuff now.

Correct. We still sell the Skylight Guy skylights as well as all of the other OEM skylight parts. Trevor still makes them for us using the original Westfalia/Delta Six molds. These are the correct OEM skylights, not the aftermarket ones that GoWesty and the others sell. As Trevor noted earlier in the thread, these will not need sealant to fit properly. They are the precise dimensions of the original since they are made on the same molds, and are also properly designed with the correct amount of flex. Too little flex, and if the skylight gets hit (from inside or outside the vehicle) it either cracks too easily or, if not, may damage your fiberglass poptop by transmitting the force of impact to the poptop itself instead of absorbing it. The flex acts as a "crumple zone" to protect your poptop and keep the skylight from shattering easily. But on the other hand, too much flex prevents the skylight from making a tight seal. Westfalia actually had specs for things like this, nothing was random. The Skylight Guy/Delta Six skylights fit and seal better because they meet those OE specs, unlike their aftermarket counterparts which at best only approximate them.

You can find the Skylight Guy / Delta Six skylights and skylight parts here:
http://www.busdepot.com/details/deltasix/#SKYLIGHT
(Scroll down past the skylights to see the other skylight parts.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the arms (on item #10) back into the slot (on #2)??

When the skylight is all the way down the arms are still too short for the round parts on the arms to reach the rounded larger holes on the slot. And the slot is too narrow to get them in any place else...
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
How do you get the arms (on item #10) back into the slot (on #2)??

When the skylight is all the way down the arms are still too short for the round parts on the arms to reach the rounded larger holes on the slot. And the slot is too narrow to get them in any place else...

Watch Jed's video on Campervan Culture.

http://campervanculture.com/2015/07/westfalia-pop-top-skylight-dismantling-reassembly/
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: For those installing a GW replacement skylight/vent, Westy! Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is an interior skylight trim/frame that goes around the skylight for cosmetic reasons ?
Side note: I installed the solar version skylight that Van Café sells and it's awesome
seabisquit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: For those installing a GW replacement skylight/vent, Westy! Reply with quote

Hi, can anybody tell me the best way to afix my rooftop vent screen? The velcro is just not sticking and my screen ends up hanging down. Can I screw it it?
Thanks
Vunderbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: For those installing a GW replacement skylight/vent, Westy! Reply with quote

After painting my pop top and decided to replace the rubber skylight seal with the GoWesty seal. Nothing but leaks and hours of monkeying around trying to stop the leak. I then purchased the Bus Depot seal. Success! It is a far superior product. It acutely has an internal aluminum clip that securely fastens it to the pop top and the rubber compression part is much larger than the GoWesty seal. Great product! Thanks Bus Depot!

GoWesty seal on left - Bus Depot on right

1980 Westfalia
1973 Baywindow
1970 Baywindow Riviera Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: