Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro :want mine lower
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the syncro is not about the added height, its about the added traction for 4wheeling.

The idea behind lowering it is that you will still have the ground clearance, still have the traction, but you will have a lower van with a little bit better handling, lower wind resistance, etc etc.

My thought for lowering it was to simply remove a coil, I ghetto solution I know, but it could work out just fine.

Custom made springs progressive rate springs could be a good option as well.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
For me the syncro is not about the added height, its about the added traction for 4wheeling.

The idea behind lowering it is that you will still have the ground clearance, still have the traction, but you will have a lower van with a little bit better handling, lower wind resistance, etc etc.

My thought for lowering it was to simply remove a coil, I ghetto solution I know, but it could work out just fine.

Custom made springs progressive rate springs could be a good option as well.

the trouble is that the syncro has a different shock/spring set up on the front, if you are not familiar with it the syncro springs are actually shorter than 2WD front springs, since they sit on a platform part way up the shock body, so the axle can pass by to the hub. that is why I suggested the airbag, that way you can adjust the height. Typical ride height should be about half-way between flat and fully expanded, I think with that bag it is about 6". Measure how tall your spring in your syncro is at normal ride height, and compare it to the middle ride height of the airbag. (for the OP)
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Ok, I have to ask. Why do you want to lower the Syncro if you have an '84 that has the height you want? Why not sell the Syncro and get a 2WD and lower that, or leave it as stock and it should be about where you want it. A 2WD will do fine in snow and stuff if you put the right tires on it so why haul around all the Syncro weight if you're going to set it up so you can't use it?

I'm just curious,

Paul
I like the ole mule as a new engine,hankooks , no rust and runs great- BUT the problem is the wife has a hard time getting in/out and i have to pull in by the steering wheel. Not as good a handle as any of the 3 '84's ive owned. Hi sitters never attracted me, each to their own i guess. And i mentioned earlier i don't do off roading but do like the extra traction in winter as i live up on a hill and can't get any kind of a run at it.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to do ANY cutting etc, just bolt on's & removals (keeping any parts). It took me too long to find this one so no butchering will be done.I studied the bottom side today and did some comparisons with the Westy i also have, i may be biting off a big chew trying to lower some, but it would be nice for my needs. Still, gonna do more studying, usually takes me a while to get it all worked out in my mind. Thanks for all suggestions. By the way it came from Washington st so may explain the solid body.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:

the trouble is that the syncro has a different shock/spring set up on the front, if you are not familiar with it the syncro springs are actually shorter than 2WD front springs, since they sit on a platform part way up the shock body, so the axle can pass by to the hub. )

I am familiar. Which is why I said to make shorter springs or get them custom made.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:

the trouble is that the syncro has a different shock/spring set up on the front, if you are not familiar with it the syncro springs are actually shorter than 2WD front springs, since they sit on a platform part way up the shock body, so the axle can pass by to the hub. )

I am familiar. Which is why I said to make shorter springs or get them custom made.

RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:

I feel this would be counter productive as it would decrease the spring force when compressed giving you worse handling then stock even if it is lower. Making springs or air bags are the way to go.

I would suggest replacing all the bushings in the front end before modifying the springs to improve handling, I've been AMAZED at every old car I've gone through and replaced all the worn out old rubber bits in. The change is often much more drastic then you would think.

You could also investigate custom sway bars front and rear, that would really clean up the handling, you might have to be careful that you don't get into a situation Jeep did with the Liberty though.

Have fun,

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

I feel this would be counter productive as it would decrease the spring force when compressed giving you worse handling then stock even if it is lower.

Yup, Ghetto solution, custom made progressive rate springs would be ideal, but pricey.

jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Problem solved.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia gave you the answer, springs from a Blue/White Star. It's sometimes funny I have a BlueStar and would rather have it sit higher
Smile

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
mellow cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: little info Reply with quote

interesting?

is was as low as the front suspension could go before producing camber. was not too bad for smooth roads, but a bump in a high speed corner was not comfortable and often times I would break traction. Good for track and SoCal roads only. I also worried about my wheels and I got tired of slowing before every nook and cranny.

This is what I settled on, H&R purples, plenty stiff, good compliance on spirited back road driving, no worries.

I have never been able to get this syncro, slammed or otherwise to handle the way I did a 2wd. Don't get me wrong, this van handles better than I need it to, but I am not as comfortable at high speed when I break traction. Gathering it up after a slide is not like the 2wd I built before it.

Opinions, while people seem to have to share, are pointless unless you have something good to say. BTW I do have a lifted Syncro for wheelin' I like them both for totally different reasons.

I will be very curious should you elect to go airbags? I have been in a few van with airbags and I think the thing I like best about them in the noise transfer from the road to the cabin. Very very smooth. I have considered, however 2 kids and my own business keep me from spending time or money on my projects. crap!

good luck.
mc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: little info Reply with quote

mellow cat wrote:

interesting?

yes, very much! thanks for posting that. It looks like the emphasis with the syncro is keeping the wheels on the ground at full droop.

All those springs scrunch down quite a bit when in the van, what? Especially the H&Rs, they look like the top three coils are just there to keep the spring from falling out, like mine there are only 3 active coils when driving.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info from Mellowcat, it's always good to see others have similar ideas Smile

I would look into a rear anti-roll bar setup aswell.

VW made one for Ambulances and I think you can still get a lot of parts from VW for it.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
taigagreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: little info Reply with quote

mellow cat wrote:

Thats a nice T3!! Love the theme Very Happy

Had an 88 GL 8-seater that was waay to nice too go all-terrain on. Did consider lowering it. On the norwegian forum theres is an Oettinger syncro thats been lowered. It has Carat springs up front (or maybe lower) and custom made springs in the back.

Looked like this before the lowering (not sure about wheel size):

Looks like this now (wheels are 235/60-17 ET 35):

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered another rear spring you could try which might work... from a Eurovan/T4.

They're a bit shorter than stock 2WD but still have the weight rating.

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mellow cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, For what it's worth when the van was very low it was wearing 225/55/17. now it wears 245/50/16. Same wheel, TSW Hock, just different sizes. The 17's filled up the wheel well a bit better. In any case, I had custom sway bars made for my old 2wd with built n/a 2.0, however in this van I have a 7A 20v I5 from a 91 coupe. Because of the Exhaust i can't really fit a rear bar to it as the mount/frame is not accessable. I did have the exhaust changed a bit, now exiting from in front of the rear wheel and allowing a bit more space to possibly have a custom bar made to fit. But alas, kids/business=no time/money. I really shouldn't complain, I just turned 40 and I have my mid-life crisis vehicle already.

Oh, and on the rear I simply added "pirch spacers" to make up for the difference in ride height, still H&R's in rear.

Cool vans BTW, While I have and like campers, my heart is in the sport van.

arn't vans fun! 20 yrs of a primary driver, and I still enjoy every inch and minute of them.

MC
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC,

I spotted your vans a while ago with the I5 motor. Nice installs.

Do you have a load of photos hosted somewhere of each of your vans?

MG
bd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question, but hosting photos of all of MC's vans would consume a significant fraction of the Internet.

and they're all sweet, too.
RJES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very useful thread. Thanks. I have very little interest in other people's opinions of the 'whethers' and 'whys' of lowering Syncro's, but lots of interets in the 'how' part!
I'm currently looking into lowering my Syncro crew cab. I have a spare set of -30mm Caravelle springs, and also a spare set of -50mm (& long since obsolete) Prokect Zwo front springs.
Can anybody tell me whether cutting the bump stops down is necessary when fitting the -30mm springs? Also, if so, how much was it necessary to shorten them by, and is there lileky to be enough bumpstop left to be able to shorten them a bit more and fit the -50mm springs , but for the bump stops still to be functional (ish!). I'm forgetting the likely camber adjustment problem, for now (see below).
It'd be great if someone has tried this before, as I dont have time to try lots of combinations. Previously I had been planning to look in to getting some shorter front shocks made, but if it's possible to use the standard ones, that sounds good to me, even if it means not going as low.
Does anyone know whether the really low Syncro's pictured above were using shorter shocks - with any bump stop left? Or can you get that low using standard ones?

Camber adjustment:
Has anybody looked in to making new camber adjustment eccentric washers with slightly more offset? I guess the limit will be the 'width' of the long oval tube in the chassis which the top wishbone pivot / camber adjustment bolt passes through. My thinking is that there will obviously be more clearance in this tube than is used by the standard eccentric washers. If there happens to be a millimetre or two of spare room (possibly wishful thinking?), some eccentric washers with a suitable amount of extra offset may give a significant amount of extra camber adjustment. I regularly have laser cut parts made, so the washers would be a very simple part to make.
Has anyone got their front suspension in pieces now? If so, and they would be interested in taking some measurements for me, I'll send them a set of camber adjusting eccentric washers with more offset for free if there proves to be enough room for this to work. It'd be great to be able to find out without taking my suspension to pieces to find out. Thanks,

Regards,

Richard Jones,

R J Engineered Solutions,
Quality Subaru Powered VW Components
www.rjes.com
Tel +44 (0)1538 752243
Mobile +44 (0)7761 788669
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm considering converting (yes another!) 2WD to Syncro...

My Tristar 2WD Black Doka.

I enjoy driving it daily but we've just had one of our longest winters to date (it's still snowing outside!) and the van will only go where I want because it has winter tyres on. I miss the secure feel of 4WD on my T3s.

I don't want to go off-roading with this van so I don't want it high, or with big tyres, or with diff-locks.

I want 4WD and I happen to have a spare 996 C4 running gear set to hand (6 speed gearbox, propshaft and front diff inc VC) along with Syncro front suspension and a the remains of a syncro donor shell.

I'm running H&R -45mm purples up front so could run those on the standard syncro shocks.

Oh, I get to keep my current wheels and tyres as the Porsche system provides between 5% (at all times) to 40% to the front wheels and works by having between a 1-2% difference in front to rear tyre rolling radius.

I'll be doing updates on the Tristar thread in my signature.

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: