Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing hose from water tank to sink
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would like to replace the water hose running from the water storage tank to the sink. Man are they scunggy (I think that is the techincal term for the condition that they are in).

Any one know off hand what the internal diameter of the hoses are? I would prefer to buy the hose and then start taking things apart.

Thanks in advance,
Pat
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

thebrewer wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to replace the water hose running from the water storage tank to the sink. Man are they scunggy (I think that is the techincal term for the condition that they are in).

Any one know off hand what the internal diameter of the hoses are? I would prefer to buy the hose and then start taking things apart.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

3/8" I.D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, 3/8". Did mine a few weeks ago. I swapped out my lines from pump (inside tank) to top of tank, and from tank to faucet. Rather than pull the fridge, I taped the new hose to the old right at the tank, and pulled it forward (from tank toward faucet). For some reason when I tried to go the other way, the hose kept getting stuck.

No need to change the old vent hose, but it does look bad compared to new water lines.
Cheers
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An option rather than replace the hose is to clean it in place. First I would shock the hose and tank with a good chlorine bath. This will kill most of the scunngy stuff. Next, disconnect the hose at the faucet and feed a long flexible wire from the faucet ond of the hose to the tank. Then pull through some sort of a cleaning rag several times. When you pull the first one through, tie a strong rope/ cord to the end so as it come out, you will have a pull through for the next one and so forth until you are satisfied that it is clean. Once this is done, shock the system again and then flush with clean water at least twice or until the taste of chlorine is gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebrewer: Just realized that you are out on Montrealish and you may have a CSA (Canadian Van) while the other guys will have the US model. One of the differences (not sure if it applies to all of them) is the Canadian Vans, the pump is in the sink cabinet rather than inside the tank like the US vans. If this is the case, getting at the hose at the tank is a bit difficult. You have to remove a lot of the cabinets as the suction connection is in the lower middle of the front side of the tank. Have a look from the inside of your tank to see where the connection is. If this is the case, you may want to save yourself a lot of heart ache and clean the hose in place.

I did this last year to keep my wife happy and she would still not drink the water out of the van, so during the winter I removed the entire water tank (now it is storage place) and fabricated a portable 10L water tank under the sink which can be replaced with a 20L tank for longer trips. My wife still brings bottled water when we go out. The old saying is, "you can drag a horse to water, stick its head underwater but it still can't make it drink"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westynova wrote:
thebrewer: Just realized that you are out on Montrealish and you may have a CSA (Canadian Van) while the other guys will have the US model. One of the differences (not sure if it applies to all of them) is the Canadian Vans, the pump is in the sink cabinet rather than inside the tank like the US vans. If this is the case, getting at the hose at the tank is a bit difficult. You have to remove a lot of the cabinets as the suction connection is in the lower middle of the front side of the tank. Have a look from the inside of your tank to see where the connection is. If this is the case, you may want to save yourself a lot of heart ache and clean the hose in place.

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure i have a Canadian van as it was purchased here in Quebec. Oddly enough there is no rust on the van which i am very happy about.

That being said, the pump is in the tank with hoses running from the tank behind the cabinets and into the sink. I have been thinking about the hoses and i agree that disconnecting one side and taping the new hose to the old should make it very easy to pull through. I am about to head out this morning to buy the tubing so will be able to report on progress this afternoon.

Pat
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of taping the hose together, I would connect the two with a barbed coupling. Less chance for them pulling apart during the pulling process.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most Westy models, the water hose running from the tank to the sink is held in place behind the wood panel by two plastic eyelets attached to the panel making the "tape or use a barb between old and new hose" a bit useless because in most cases the slightess increase in diameter (tape over) will stop the hose from going thru the eyelets. Using a barb is something I also tried but you need to secure the barb in place so that the hose does not come out of it when pulling. Again you run into the same problem with increased diameter. These are the issues I ran into when doing mine. At the end I ended up pulling out all cabinets and became a bigger project checking for rust behind kitchen, doing insulation and sound dampening, new fridge, etc. Funny how a simple $15 project turned into the summer megaproject.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

Anyone have more information on this? What kind? Where? How much? Prices? Please! Smile
chimivee wrote:
3/8" I.D.

Way back when I was reading the filtered water thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0
I checked under my sink and the tubes looked clean. Figured some kind smart PO had replaced them and did the happy dance! Dancing Got around to bleaching the entire system last week and when I added the bleach, noticed this one rogue nasty dirty grimy black disgusting tube that clearly goes from my nice clean water tank, straight to my tap I'll bet! Rolling Eyes

So, replace it I shall do...but need way more information first. Please! I sew, so very familiar with fishing things through things, caught (get and have done it) what some one said about securing the two tube better than taping. BUT, thought I read something someone said about the original tubes being secured down, thus the're not just going to pop out!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean the tank first

then:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488546
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank cleaned. Twice. 2 Cups (500mL) Bleach to a full tank. The guy at the water store did the calculation for me, it's what they use...Sat for 2hr and then rinsed. Twice.

tam
randywebb wrote:
clean the tank first

then:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488546

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Anyone have more information on this? What kind? Where? How much? Prices? Please! Smile

Where: Plumbing department at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, True Value...
What: 3/8" I.D. PVC tubing
Length: Tank to sink is roughly 4 feet
Price: Shouldn't be more than $5 for a pre-packaged roll of 10 feet (buy this and you can replace both the sink and vent tubes).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay the extra and get the silver impregnated hose from GW
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

Ready to do this, might make for a fun rainy day project...Came here to see who said to use what and now see the obvious fantastic cheap idea:
kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

Where: Plumbing department at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, True Value...
What: 3/8" I.D. PVC tubing
Length: Tank to sink is roughly 4 feet
Price: Shouldn't be more than $5 for a pre-packaged roll of 10 feet (buy this and you can replace both the sink and vent tubes).

VS

Expensive with no understanding as to why I'd want silver in my water? Reminds me of that Blue Man on Oprah. LOL
randywebb wrote:
pay the extra and get the silver impregnated hose from GW

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23593

And, I'm not sure I'll be able to drink out of it even after all that. Hard to get those nasty hose images out of my mind!

tam

Making it special:
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silver inhibits bacterial growth
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Expensive with no understanding as to why I'd want silver in my water? Reminds me of that Blue Man on Oprah. LOL

And, I'm not sure I'll be able to drink out of it even after all that. Hard to get those nasty hose images out of my mind!

That guy was actively consuming colloidal silver. This is an entirely different idea. I might have sprung for it if it was available when I re-did my system (or if I had noticed it).
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing hose from water tank to sink Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Length: Tank to sink is roughly 4 feet.

Note: Just did this in my Canadian westy with external pump and the length was just under 7 feet from tank to pump/pump to faucet. I don't know the length of the fresh water fill since I don't plan on using it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: