Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Engine is Right for Me? Vanistan // Subaru 2.2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Which Engine is Right for Me? Vanistan // Subaru 2.2 Reply with quote

So, I'm not interested in a war over engine conversions, just some advice.

I've begun to save my pennies for an engine conversion. I have a 1986 WBX with a strong, rebuilt (80k ago) engine. Everything's been gone through/replaced in the last few months, aside from the exhaust which will need some attention soon... She's my daily driver. I plan on using her until the engine starts to give... Hopefully, plenty of time to save $$.

I've been trying to weigh out a Vanistan engine vs. a Subaru 2.2 (Cali). My goal is to have a reliable van that takes me where I want to go... I'm not a power freak, in fact, I love having less power in the van, as strange as that sounds. It forces me to slow down and just be with/cater to the van. Zens me out... For me, if I have a power available, I'm going to use it. My will isn't strong enough to just drive slow if I have the opportunity to zip around.

That said, I want my future engine to be reliable and relatively cheap to maintain. And, I want to do the conversion myself. I've already spent $2K-$3k in retrofitting her WBX parts, and I respect the shit out of Chris, believe in his work, and believe strongly in supporting the things you respect with your dollar. Plus, swapping my motor for a Vanistan might ultimately be the cheapest means of acquiring a *new*, reliable engine.

My concerns are that even though Chris' engine is essentially a new WBX, these parts are only going to get more scarce and expensive with time. 10 years down the line, I might be looking at a lot more money in maintenance and repairs than if I went the Subaru route... Not to mention, should something go so wrong that I need the aid of a mechanic, my options are severely limited with the WBX compared to the Subaru.

The Subaru conversion sounds like it'd be awesome if everything goes swimmingly... I'm intimidated by the scale of the project and the potential to fuck something up. I'm an amateur mechanic, though very confident in my ability to problem solve/fix anything. Still, a 100+ hour mechanical project with the love of my life (my van Razz) on the line conjures up a bit of fear... I do love the prospect of having a super-reliable Subaru pushing me around, with it's cheap parts, easy maintenance, reliability, and tried-and-true longevity.

I'm looking to keep whichever upgrade I go with to about a $7K-$9K budget.

If you've managed to bear with my ramblings thus far, do you have any pointers/opinions/perspectives/advice? I appreciate your input!

Cheers!

PS - I'm planning on going to Syncrofest at the end of the month... So, plenty of brain-picking and perhaps some test driving will be had there as well...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally planning on doing a 2.2 but local Subaru donors almost always had high miles. Do you have access to a lower mileage donor? Or, a quality rebuilt?

If I'm not mistaken, VW Heritage has resurrected formerly NLA parts. And the vendors are great. eg

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_582_246/engine-block-breather-tower.html (used or new?? Anyhow....)

But who knows right? Would a 2.2 also be as hard to get parts for in 10 years?

Tough decision. Regardless of choice, I'm sure that with some judicious planning, you could stock pile some of the harder to find parts.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in the same category as what oil should I run.
'88MoneyPit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a 1.8t conversion because it gave me the "newest" engine. I figure the I will probably begin to have problems/need to replace items in 8-10 years. The Cali legal subi is already 20 years old. The 1.8t is only 8. And you don't have to burn out at every light with the 1.8, but I am no longer afraid of hills!

S
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention $2-3k spent on WBX support. If you have already updated the expensive and by now worn out WBX support structures, (like throttle body, AFM, idle control) I would stick with that platform come rebuild time.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out a Wasser from RJE.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Engine is Right for Me? Vanistan // Subaru 2.2 Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
...My concerns are that even though Chris' engine is essentially a new WBX, these parts are only going to get more scarce and expensive with time...

I often hear that but (in 25 years of Westy ownership) I have yet to encounter evidence of that.

Phaedrus wrote:
...should something go so wrong that I need the aid of a mechanic, my options are severely limited with the WBX compared to the Subaru...

Either way -- it's just an engine: pushrods, valves, pistons, gaskets, etc. A competent foreign car mechanic should be able to handle either. If anything, a stock WBX set-up should be easier as he doesn't have to think through what was done in the conversion.

Reading between the lines -- I think you already know what you want.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Engine is Right for Me? Vanistan // Subaru 2.2 Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

ding ding ding

It's an easy decision once past the internal tipping point in your mind.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the choices and parameters you listed I'd choose Vanistan without a second thought.

There are ways to do Bostig in CA Wink

I chose 1.8T. You do know Stephan sells DIY kits, right?
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Don't rule out a Wasser from RJE.

x2 I've recently purchased an engine from Rocky. Got the pleasure to tour the shop and see some of the things he was working on. I don't want to discuss another mans business, but suffice it to say he's got some cool projects in the works. He's got the right tools to get the job done and it's all done in house. Only the highest quality parts are used. Super nice and easy guy to work with also. I've bought things from Chis before and he's great also, his oil cooler kit is on my short list. But buying from Rocky was an easy decision for me due to my geography, easy way to save a few bucks on shipping. And on that note, anyone in the NW should seriously think about visiting Rocky. Walla Walla, WA is a great little all American college town. A neat little downtown with a surprisingly good number of places to eat and shop. My girl and I ended up spending the day there putting around and taking in the sights.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX vs Subie -- Someone once taught this technique:

When faced with choosing between two options, flip a coin.

While the coin is in the air... whatever outcome you find yourself hoping for is what you really want.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three important details I read from your first post that are important for making a decision:

1. You are in California, so the only Subaru conversion that is simple to get through CARB is the OBD1 2.2.

2. You don't care about or particularly want a ton of power.

3. You've already invested $3000 in Wasserboxer related replacement parts and upgrades.

With these three things considered, I would say the right choice for you is definitely a Vanistan engine.

My rationale:

OBD I EJ22s are now 20-24 years old and you are likely to only find a high mileage engine, so a nicely built Vanistan has an advantage from that standpoint. Secondly, since you are completely happy with the performance of a standard Vanagon, the moderate upgrade in performance from the Vanistan should be just about right. Lastly, my main concern with sticking with the WBX is that there are so many hardware/electronic related parts that typically need replacing these days, and they can easily cost as much as the conversion components for a Subaru swap. But since you have already spent $3000 getting all these components in tip-top shape, you have already spent the money to be trouble-free for years to come.

You honestly can't go wrong with either choice. If installed well, either choice will give you many miles of touring enjoyment. But it sounds to me like the Vanistan motor fits your desires and situation like a glove.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally pick a Vanistan 2.2 or Rocky 2.3 over the Subaru 2.2, but would opt for a 1.8T in a bunch of different configurations over WBXers.
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it as that hard a choice. The 2.2 subi isn't all that powerful, new or awe inspiring that it is worth the conversion costs or the loss in future collector value. The 2.5 is a different story. For the same money you can make a wbx more powerful than a 2.2l subi. Re parts availability, there are a lot more parts available for type 1 vw than any other 4cyl engine in the world. In 20 yerars time the 2.2 subi will be forgotten.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
This is in the same category as what oil should I run.

True. But I narrowed down the choices to two and gave them context, so hopefully it's a little more straightforward... Razz

Ahwahnee wrote:

Yeah, I definitely have a bias towards a Vanistan, but I want to try and make sure that it's rational and not purely emotional... Thus, the request for other perspectives Smile

insyncro wrote:
I would totally pick a Vanistan 2.2 or Rocky 2.3 over the Subaru 2.2, but would opt for a 1.8T in a bunch of different configurations over WBXers.

The overall consensus seems to be:

- 1.8T's are a great option as well (and I need to do some research!...).
- My assumptions regarding Subie vs WBX parts availability may be misguided. It may be just as likely that in 10 years, 2.2L Subies will get harder to find parts for and the perennial WBX will live on.
- Check out RJE's WBX.

teej wrote:
(like throttle body, AFM, idle control)

Looking forward, I need to figure out exactly what essential WBX parts will need attention should I choose to keep this configuration. Many repairs and upgrades were done by the PO, but I don't have a paper trail. Probably should inspect these items. ^

Does anybody have a good resource for exploring the 1.8T? Favorite build threads, picture guides, etc?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan's Auto Haus - Sacramento, CA

http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonConversions/OurEngineConversion.aspx

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528990
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Stephan's Auto Haus - Sacramento, CA

http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonConversions/OurEngineConversion.aspx

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528990

Bam. Thank you, sir.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original motor in my 86 van went 178K miles, you may have 100,000 miles to go if you did it all right with new stuff. maybe a bit premature to be looking for a new motor, but heck, be prepared!

I elected for a big bore 2.2 liter with an Elgin performance cam. a little more zip, also a NOS air meter and new exhaust, and hoses, I expect to go 180K miles in that one too.
I hear that many of the Subaru motors used in conversions are getting to be high mile motors, in need of rebuilding often. thus costs of a conversion rises. The days of cheap low mile Subaru engines is ending, and maybe be long gone by the time your wasserboxer needs its next rebuild.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean you went with GW's 2.2?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Does that mean you went with GW's 2.2?

No, I didn't buy their motor, but I did by the pistons from Gowesty. bored out my old jugs, I also bought new AMC heads with new seats, and valves, maybe from Van Café I think it was, and the Elgin cam/lifters straight from Elgin. Van Café also got me the NOS air meter, and VW got me one of the last OEM exhaust manifolds left in N. America (this was maybe three yeas ago) the reproduction Danish manifolds don't fit worth diddly poop. van café for most all the hoses, motor mounts, thermostat housing, hall sendor cat, and numerous other items.
Ken Jansen at Jansen Enterprise was the engine builder.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: