Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I have seen a few posts on a few homemade projects and of course some great work in Germany but is anyone in the states making cabinets or custom interiors in the USA? I would love to get a weekender kitchen made like the Rheino one on their website. http://www.reimo.com/en/11100T-vw_t5_multivan_pantry_kueche/

any thoughts on this one?
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '87 Wolfsburg. Think weekender with no pop-top and no rear cabinet. I have pulled out the passenger side jump seat and removed the latch mech. and seat belt. It gives me a lot of room for moving around the cabin and a cooler sits right nice there.

I have often thought of building a cabinet with sink on top, small fridge underneath and a "pop-up table" accessible with the sliding door open to sit a coleman burner on. I would make it removable also so I don't lose the space while daily driving. The one you linked to looked nice but at over $1000 plus shipping! Shocked

You could probably take a design to a custom cabinet maker here in the states and have it made for less if you are not handy with a multitude of saws. Good luck.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out fairweather's (user name here) pictures:

http://mtsoprisventures.shutterfly.com/pictures

Might give you some inspiration about what you can DIY with a little work and some wood working.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am handy, but not that handy and I would like it to look nice and not homemade. Exactly as you said removable and I have the exact same van as you except an '88 wolfsburg weekender.

$1000.00 is exactly why I was inquiring if anyone has come across anybody that is making them.
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I am also thinking (sorry for the bad photo copied off of another post)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
Check out fairweather's (user name here) pictures:

http://mtsoprisventures.shutterfly.com/pictures

Might give you some inspiration about what you can DIY with a little work and some wood working.

Paul

Yes. That is a neat van... Laughing
I like this setup because the fridge is accessible when standing outside the van..
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to some of the cooktop/sinks available:
http://www.wholesalervequipment.com.au/cooktops-ovens-sinks/cat_10.html

Not cheap and with shipping it's pricey. There are some cheaper versions, check out ebay for cooktop/sinks, Suburban is one popular name. They just don't look as refined as the Dometic/Reimo units.

Having a cabinetmaker build one for you isn't going to be cheap either but should come in under the one linked to depending on the options you decide on. I or another cabinetmaker in Denver could give you an estimate if you decide exactly what you want in the unit.

Here's a few things I have done on my latest van to gain some space in a weekender:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you need? You can make a nice comfy camper...

http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/vanwilder...l.jpg&

Get to work...
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
Here is what I am also thinking (sorry for the bad photo copied off of another post)

My father-in-law has one of these cabinets from a much older van/bus installed in his '85 weekender behind the front passenger seat. It's very handy, and his version has a fold-up table shelf on the side that you can use for food prep.

Wanting something similar, but with a lower profile, I've worked up a few schematics of a cabinet that should be fairly easy to build. When I do, I will post some pics. The plan is to build something removable that can mount using the hardware from the 12-volt fridge that used to occupy that space.

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belladonna, are you planning on making one that fits the flat fridge like in the picture?
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
Belladonna, are you planning on making one that fits the flat fridge like in the picture?

No. My cabinet idea will be limited to storing pots, pans, pantry food, eating utensils, etc., paper towel roll. I plan to incorporate a fold out work surface for food prep and a small shelf for salt, pepper, etc.

Since my 12-Volt refridgerator did not work, I got rid of it and just use coolers.

Incidentally, my father-in-law's cabinet has a sink which he rigged up to drain out of the van into this plug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412412&highlight= that some vanagons have.

VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want something similar just to store stuff in, probably not a sink, stove or fridge. Too much stuff. I can cook outside and bring a cooler
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
I do want something similar just to store stuff in, probably not a sink, stove or fridge. Too much stuff. I can cook outside and bring a cooler

I once found someone on The Samba who was selling a cabinet like the one in the picture you posted. I always salivate at my father-in-law's set up. It works really well. The nice thing about his, is that he has a fold up (or down) shelf with a work surface. So, say it is raining and you have to get SOMEthing prepared, boil water, PB& J, etc for the little ones, then you have a handy surface to prep, and all of your necessary kitchen stuff right there.

This type of cabinet will not work well though if you have a front PS swivel, which I do. So, I've have some ideas for a cabinet that can work with a swivel.

I am scanning my drawings for a cabinet right now and will post shortly.

Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you can see the drawings. They are pencil, so may be a bit light.

The first two pictures reflect my first idea based on my FIL's cabinet. The intention is to build a removable cabinet that is installed to the floor using the hardware from the 12V refrigerator.

This version will not work with a PS seat swivel. The cabinet is shorter than the OG VW cabinet picture posted by MOMofThree. My design is based on measurements for worksurface accessibility by standing outside of the van.

Since I have a swivel and want to retain the function, I thought something like this would work. I continue to ponder this idea and will likely simplify some aspects of it. This version gives room for a foot rest while sitting in the swivel seat. I believe I tested it on my 6' 2" husband's foot size, but would want to double check that measurement before building.

J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: stoves etc Reply with quote

check out http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-stoves-ovens-microwaves-parts-1.htm#Cooktops - Suburban - Drop-In for some better prices on units
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often toyed with the idea of removing the seatparts of the jump seat so your left with just the framework/ brackets. Then building a cabinet of sorts that mounts to the jump seat frame and can be installed and removed just like a jump seat. I was going to do it 'till I sold off the pass. side jump seat. Wished I still had it now........ Crying or Very sad
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
Here's a link to some of the cooktop/sinks available:
http://www.wholesalervequipment.com.au/cooktops-ovens-sinks/cat_10.html

SMEV makes some of the nicest, and you can get them with a sink attached if you'd like.
http://www.smev.com/products.html
When I visited Reimo in April they had quite a nice selection. Sometimes there are blowout models on eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the sink/cabinet unit from a 70's bus that was in very good shape (the unit not the bus) and mounted it behind the passenger seat,
that combined with the added westy table (the one that mounts behind the drivers seat) gives me water/ and a nice place to place a 2 burner cook stove plus I later added my vented catalytic heater to the lower part of the cabinet stove set up.
It was cheap, looks like it belongs and works very well. Also this setup does not interfere with the weekender flip up table so there is still a lot of room to eat.

I did my whole setup(all bought used) for about 400.00
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
I removed the sink/cabinet unit from a 70's bus that was in very good shape (the unit not the bus) and mounted it behind the passenger seat,
that combined with the added westy table (the one that mounts behind the drivers seat) gives me water/ and a nice place to place a 2 burner cook stove plus I later added my vented catalytic heater to the lower part of the cabinet stove set up.
It was cheap, looks like it belongs and works very well. Also this setup does not interfere with the weekender flip up table so there is still a lot of room to eat.

I did my whole setup(all bought used) for about 400.00

Hi tschroeder0. Do you have any pictures to share?

populuxe59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belladonna,
If you have an idea what you want, you really should create some mock-ups of your design and test them. Use corrugated cardboard, masking tape, and hot glue. Its free, easy and helps you avoid producing an expensive mistake. I toured a yacht company once and saw them doing this for cabin design. Its easy to change and modify your design at this stage. Once it's built you have to live with it.
I'd like to see you take this to completion. Look at some boat interiors. Make sure you don't have any sharp corners. To finish edges you can buy the rubber "t" molding from the online vendors.

I started something like this for my Multivan. However, I ended up seeing a nice chuck-box that changed my mind. Got the chuck-box, Dometic 3-way cooler/fridge and a German side tent. That made it convenient to prep, cook, etc., outside the camper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: