Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Found this one rummaging through the 'net.... Reply with quote

Here's one I found with pretty good instructions. Reasonable skill level and materials, nothing too exotic. Nice design though, although the grill may be up kinda high for some folks.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chuck-Box-Camp-Kitchen/#step1

Been thinking about one of these for my tintop non-camper.
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out blue sky camp kitchens for chuck boxes and plans for sale. they have a great building technique that cuts down on the weight without compromising the strength.
http://www.blueskykitchen.com/
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is 70's westy kitchen for sale on ebay, doesnt look cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...037wt_1285

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

On a separate note, a chef came in to teach my class today and he brought with him an Induction Cooktop. Hind sight, I do recall seeing one a few years ago, but when he was doing his demonstration, he said, "I can boil a huge stock pot of water in 2min" and my ears perked up. HUH!? How long? I can actually see applications with that in general in my classroom, but when CAMPING! Last week, I'd looked at a $10 regular heated coil burner and concluded it would be just as easy to bring along my electric kettle...But, now I think when at a serviced site, it's be fantastic! Might??? Even work off an auxiliary battery if it's not on long, would it have much of a drain?

They range in price from $50-150 on Amazon and Walmart, I didn't look much further than that...All I know, is I spend an awful lot of propane and even more time boiling water to do dishes when camping...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=sea...%20cooktop

Might be a reasonable solution for some instead of a single unit butane burner for some? And, propane installation for others?

tam

Tam - I love my one burner induction cooker - we bring it if I know we'll have electric at our site. This is not often.
2 things:
A. While efficient in use of power, I can't imagine using it on battery+inverter... Roughly the same draw as a full size microwave oven.
B. you need to remember that it is magnetic induction. Aluminum pans or many stainless alloys will not get hot. (Many campers I know use lightweight pans...) cast iron works great. Test your pans with a fridge magnet - if they stick, the pan will work on an induction cooker.

Induction cooker is great for inside vehicles, as it does not get really hot - only the pan gets hot. It is not a "burner" - the surface only heats via radiated heat from the cooking vessel.

I do have a 12v hotpot for coffee, but rarely use it. It tends to stay at home now that I've switched to a 12v espresso maker (picked up in France and smuggled in the US) for my morning Joe. I'm also trying to use my biolite as much as I can for cooking outside, and I have a two burner primus we bring along on long/big trips where I'm planning on fancy meals on the road.[/i]

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to know. Thank you. Indeed checked my pots, very light not so magnetic! Going with the electric kettle this year. If I can find it! LOL
unplannedbbq wrote:

Tam - I love my one burner induction cooker - we bring it if I know we'll have electric at our site. This is not often.
2 things:
A. While efficient in use of power, I can't imagine using it on battery+inverter... Roughly the same draw as a full size microwave oven.
B. you need to remember that it is magnetic induction. Aluminum pans or many stainless alloys will not get hot. (Many campers I know use lightweight pans...) cast iron works great. Test your pans with a fridge magnet - if they stick, the pan will work on an induction cooker.

Induction cooker is great for inside vehicles, as it does not get really hot - only the pan gets hot. It is not a "burner" - the surface only heats via radiated heat from the cooking vessel.

I do have a 12v hotpot for coffee, but rarely use it. It tends to stay at home now that I've switched to a 12v espresso maker (picked up in France and smuggled in the US) for my morning Joe. I'm also trying to use my biolite as much as I can for cooking outside, and I have a two burner primus we bring along on long/big trips where I'm planning on fancy meals on the road.[/i]

Who else has this? What do you put where?
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sherpa-Table-Organ...T9CR[/url]
joetiger wrote:
This isn't in our Wolfsburg Weekender, but it's our kitchen setup:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just grabbed one at Canadian Tire on sale until June 27th, 2013 for $50. I put it all together and am super excited, but not sure what to put there! Also hoping it will fit in the back, behind the Rubbermaid buckets I have back there. Think it'll be great w/ dishes, kitchen utensils, pots and something else in each pocket. I saw REI also had one, looks way better quality, but I actually like the way the supplies on the cheaper one are up off the floor. Close at hand for cooking...

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Trex72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: eurovan weekender kitchen setup Reply with quote

Here is a setup I just finished. It has a sink cabinet with a lid and a table which attaches to the drawer front. The sink drains out underneath the van and the water tank is in the back of the van. With the swivel chairs, there is a ton of space inside with all u need for camping! Next on the list is to add a propane heater. Fall is approaching fast.

[/img]

wes.outside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we go to the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake every six months. We saw this at the show...looked really cool and well thought out.

http://www.grubhubusa.com/

And a video explanation...

Link

syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes.outside wrote:
So we go to the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake every six months. We saw this at the show...looked really cool and well thought out.

That's pretty awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Selfmade Reply with quote

A cabinet can be made for $300-350 for behind the passenger front seat that includes 2 burner stove, sink with running water, and propane fridge + storage for utensils. I made one. It looked almost factory. And I don't even have any particular woodworking skills. New everything except the fridge, which was free.

All the tools I used was a drill, electric jig saw and hand tools.

The key is to find a supply of suitable laminated material that is only slightly larger in height then the size of the top plate you want. If you allow the top to stick out a little on all sides, just like a household countertop, then you can use the factory laminated edges of the plate on 3 sides. The 4'th side has to be cut, but you can hide that against the seat back. Or use a rubber edging.

Same for all the other pieces, use factory edging on all 3 sides, and it will look good! Then countersink the screws, and use screw plugs to hide them, in similar color as your interior is otherwise. White, brown, tan etc.

I started with acquiring the fridge, used, then built up the cabinet around that. Bought a sink stove combo and dropped it into top plate. After that it's up to you. I made a opening lid with utensil storage underneath. That was much easier than making a drawer, atleast a nice looking one.

If anyone is interested I might be able to dig up some old pics, but that camper burnt up long time ago. Ruptured power steering line, then fluid on exhaust.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes.outside wrote:

That's a cool kitchen setup. I wouldn't leave it setting outside where we've camped though. Had raccoons dump my cooler up by Los Osos, and black bears in camp overnight up by Big Bear.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in another thread this half linen cabinet. It appears to be just the right size to fit a truckfridge 49 in the bottom and has a nice drawer above. I built my own cabinet and it is VERY time consuming and the materials wind up costing more than you originally think.

My thought with this was to put a couple add-ons rather than starting from scratch. Remove the front door and put in the truck fridge. I would remove the bottom kickboard part which would bring it down a few inches and maybe add a small area on top and a folding side table. Or better yet the front table mounted like the picture above. And paint Westy Grey.

The key to a pre-made cabinet is finding just the right size. 18 wide x 21 deep. It looks like the perfect fit to me. It cost something like $169 at Lowes online site.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_168527-66150-20D+VB18_0__?...facetInfo=
Dave

I like the look of the custom made one, but that is out of reach for most people. And the portable chuck wagons look cool but storage space is the issue so having it all folded up when you are travelling seems like it doesn't solve the main issue of where to put your food and stuff when driving.
butacska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Cabinet Reply with quote

Hi
I really like your chuckbox, it looks well made.
Would it be possible to get the dimensions for it?
I would like to build one like yours.

Thanks

jbnova wrote:
This past weekend, we took our new chuckbox for its maiden voyage. My wife and I designed it in collaboration with a woodworking buddy of ours. He did all the construction on it. It's a bit heavy, but works really, really well. The width of the chuckbox is the same as the depth of the rear cargo area in the van, so it fits nicely into the right-half of the cargo area. It could also ride behind the front passenger seat.

To go with it, we browsed, shopped and tried nearly every camping cookware set out there. In the end, we decided on the TexSport set and are very happy. We ended up buying both the Scouter and Trailblazer, which all nest together "almost" perfectly. Individually, each set is a perfect nest. When both sets are combined, there is one pot that doesn't fit perfect. Great quality for camp cookware.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9ISSC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9F1EQ
butacska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Vanagon cabinet Reply with quote

I was wondering if somebody could get me the measurement for the Vanagon cabinets. The ones that beside the bed and across the back door. I would like to build that as the ones from GPwesty just a little to expensive. I know it is a long shot, but I have to try.

I have an 87 weekender and without the cabinets it is a little tough to pack for camping. [/img]
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, here's the plan:
- cut off the feet
- add blocking to the bottom & side so it sits level on the jump seat
- attach nylon cam-lock straps to secure it in place
- hinge the door at the bottom & add chains for a drop-down work surface
- add a fold-down shelf on the left side for another work surface
(I already have this - scrounged from another project)
- add a couple latches to keep things closed while driving
- maybe add a small lip around the top edge to keep things from rolling off...???

(As I've mentioned) there's room inside for gallon jugs (5.5"x8"), pull-out tubs
as "drawers" (11.5"x8.5" - double-duty as a sink), butane burner in the top
drawer & room for some assorted supplies: spare fuel, a couple pans, dishes
& maybe some food. It should be quite easy to pop in & out as needs change
from hauling bodies & cargo to picnicking, camping & roadtripping.

For long-term camping/tripping, we also use a cheap set of drawers strapped
to the wall in front of the fold-down table. It fills the gap between the jump
seat & bench seat. It's on casters, so at night we roll it over behind the pass.
seat to allow the bed to fold down. We usually use the front door for in&outs
at night so we don't mind if it's in front of the slider. Our cooler fits under the
edge of the bed so there's still room to get around.

At this rate, we'll be able to do as much or as little as we need quite easily.
I love that the Weekender is so flexible! Long live the Weekender!

Wink[/quote]

Pictures please---is it done yet?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Nope, not done.

Other projects/priorities came along and all of a sudden the van's in winter storage again... Rolling Eyes

We'll see what happens here in the spring.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cabinet Reply with quote

butacska wrote:
I was wondering if somebody could get me the measurement for the Vanagon cabinets. The ones that beside the bed and across the back door. I would like to build that as the ones from GPwesty just a little to expensive. I know it is a long shot, but I have to try.

I have an 87 weekender and without the cabinets it is a little tough to pack for camping. [/img]

Here you go. I just re-entered these into the gallery tonight with Credit to our very own TimWhy.

Some are not Weekeder specific, but, good cross reference as many wish to incorporate some of the Westfalia cabinetry into their weekender builds. I am actually still contemplating adding the Westy Kitchen cabinet and having it removable, then just leaving my super huge king size bed in the back Very Happy

Right Click/SAVE. I did that three years ago and you just reminded me Laughing

syncromike wrote:
wes.outside wrote:

That's pretty awesome.

This is awesome, however, if it were in use when we were in Moab or on the Deschuttes River in Maupin recently, it would have become a kite of sorts. I like it a lot though, especially since I am building a SyncTintop with some Weekender style and finishes.

Last edited by carterzest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cabinet Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Here you go. I just re-entered these into the gallery tonight.

That looks just like Rooney? Oh, it is Rooney!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cabinet Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
carterzest wrote:
Here you go. I just re-entered these into the gallery tonight.

That looks just like Rooney? Oh, it is Rooney!!

Thanks Timwhy, I forgot who did all of that AWESOME work. I will add credit to you above on each picture. When I first saw that, I immediately saved for future reference as it was such an incredible undertaking. Wink Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon cabinet Reply with quote

You are more than welcome! No credit needed tho, I do love seeing the Roon right where he loves to be...in the Westy!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: