Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

populuxe59 wrote:
Belladonna,
If you have an idea what you want, you really should create some mock-ups of your design and test them. Use corrugated cardboard, masking tape, and hot glue. Its free, easy and helps you avoid producing an expensive mistake. I toured a yacht company once and saw them doing this for cabin design. Its easy to change and modify your design at this stage. Once it's built you have to live with it.
I'd like to see you take this to completion. Look at some boat interiors. Make sure you don't have any sharp corners. To finish edges you can buy the rubber "t" molding from the online vendors.

I started something like this for my Multivan. However, I ended up seeing a nice chuck-box that changed my mind. Got the chuck-box, Dometic 3-way cooler/fridge and a German side tent. That made it convenient to prep, cook, etc., outside the camper.

Hi Populuxe59. Thank you for the encouragement and advice. For my first idea, I did patch together a cardboard version to get a feel for how the interior would feel with a cabinet. THAT was how I realized that it would not work with my seat swivel. I think it might be time to test my second idea, perhaps it will motivate me to get it done or figure out what modifications I need to make!

Funny that you mentioned boat interiors. As a teenager and young adult, my husband lived on a small boat with his parents. My FIL kept the boat for many years, so I got to see the small galley with all of it's fold down doors, latches etc. What a piece of craftsmanship!

I just Googled Chuck Boxes and have some new inspiration for my ideas. Thanks!

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be hard to beat:

http://www.rei.com/product/765279

so I just tracked down the very last one in stock in the US! (Now back ordered until the 25th earliest)

My kitchen need is so secondary to my daily use I think the attitude of being able to carry along the ultimate exterior kitchen is the answer.

K
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewump wrote:

so I just tracked down the very last one in stock in the US! (Now back ordered until the 25th earliest)

My kitchen need is so secondary to my daily use I think the attitude of being able to carry along the ultimate exterior kitchen is the answer.

K

I had been curious about this product, but it appeared cumbersome for the needs of two people. I could see this being particularly useful for a family.

While checking out your link, I was happily surprised to see a mini version of this camp kitchen http://www.rei.com/product/798433. This just might meet the needs of a smaller crew and take up less space too (i.e. one could use in the van if needed).

Hey, MomOfThree--I wonder if something like this might work for you?

thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see that smaller product in the flesh and liked it, but I really like the idea of the big one.. I hate the clutter of all the bits and pieces in and around the van, and the idea of having something that holds trash, food bits and pieces etc. and is just left sitting there greatly appeals.

The "smaller" product though is no smaller in terms of footprint, but I guess it is storage for things on the move so it's not really comparable.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. I'll post some pics.

K
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good price and is great if you can set up for a 'summer kitchen' like old farm houses had. They are quite popular here for campers.

Now with tongue in cheek if you could add an external shower with a shower curtain you might get some nooky! Laughing Somebody has a theory being established in another thread but word has 3 letters which I chose not to introduce into this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I would like for a weekender. Remove the seat behind the driver. I am VERY tempted to make something like.this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belladonna30c wrote:
VwMomofthree wrote:
Here is what I am also thinking (sorry for the bad photo copied off of another post)

My father-in-law has one of these cabinets from a much older van/bus installed in his '85 weekender behind the front passenger seat. It's very handy, and his version has a fold-up table shelf on the side that you can use for food prep.

Wanting something similar, but with a lower profile, I've worked up a few schematics of a cabinet that should be fairly easy to build. When I do, I will post some pics. The plan is to build something removable that can mount using the hardware from the 12-volt fridge that used to occupy that space.

Just an update. Here are some pics of my FIL's set up:

And a few words from him:

Kim, here's 3 photos of the rig in my van. It came from a 75 Westfalia that caught fire. I fastened a back to it made from 1/4 inch ply, then painted it and added a shelf inside. I fastened it down into the "New" VW with 3 long bolts that fitted through 3 holes that I drilled through the floor. I made the hold-down brackets fit so that they were 1/4 inch out of place so that when the bolts are fitted, the whole thing is in tension and cannot shake loose.

The sink drains to the outside.I keep canned food supplies on the top shelf,and bulk dry goods on the middle shelf which leaves room for frying pan and bowls on the bottom shelf. The set of shelves on the side carry a stove, gas container and cleaning supplies. The top locker space is for KFS, utensils and mantles for the lights. The sink seems to have become a catch-all for anything that does not have a place of it's own.

It's important to keep the plastic KFS holder trapped to the right side otherwise the container slides over and makes it impossible to open the top door.There is a jerry can of water strapped to the inboard side.

tonyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone done anything as far a chuck boxe for a EV MV? I like Fairweather's pics-might be able to use a couple ideas there in the cabin area. Looking more for a chuck box that fits in the EV storage area under the back. Poplulace, is your MV a EV?
My feeling is that anything for the EVMV will need to be custom built.
Thanks all and happy camping.
TK
Coldwater Surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are somewhat similar equivalents of our European counterparts. The Acme company is the only one that lists that the burners are also available in l.p. or natural gas, however they're the most expensive. I assume you could knock off a couple hundred dollars if you didn't want the fridge.
http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Compact+Kitchens/N~36
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has considered building a kitchen for a weekender to go in the luggage area up top outside. I'm thinking about a fold up stool to get you tall enough, then a simple water container and sink (perhaps from a bay window) that drains through tubing down the driver's side to a grey water bag, and a two burner propane stove. It would be easy enough to make a small awning to attach to the pop top for poor weather, and you'd lose no space inside. Plus, if you burn dinner, far less stink inside Laughing

The luggage rack area is plenty wide and long enough. With a lock down lid it might be a few inches taller, depending on how much water you wish to carry. The sink could lift up to be high enough when in use to allow it to drain over the side, and you could have 'counter space' between the sink and stove that has the water tank under it.

Thoughts?
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewump wrote:

K

Being on the taller side one factor that is very important to me when looking for a functional camp kitchen is the height of the working surfaces. The stove height looks OK but the other surfaces are too low for my liking.
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fall my coleman stove crapped out and I had to buy a new stove. What I really
wanted was a stainless steel one and the one I ended up with had the added feature
of 20,000 btu burners which were larger than my my trucsted green stove. They
also have a protected wind shield around the burner, so on windy day we can cook
and not worry about the flame going out. The stainless made it easy for clean up as well.

The problem I had with the new stove is, it did not fit into my chuck box that I
have had for 20 years. So, I had to bulid another larger box to fit the stove. The new box will carry everyhting that I would need to cook and then some.
The only thing that I see wrong/bad about it is the size and weight, but other than
that it has worked out great.
Mostly I like to cook outside of the westy. I only use the westys' stove for coffeee and toast.
I like to be able to cook with alot of room around me and the coleman fold up
kitchen under my BD Awning with my chuck box provides plenty.

I can't wait until next spring to use these two again. Hopefully winter flys bye!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need is a "Chuck Box". Did you fashion that yourself Tim?
Is that a little cooler I see tucked in there?
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"

Last edited by VanWilder on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
What I need is a "Chuck Box". Did you fashion that yourself Tim?

Yes

VanWilder wrote:
Is that a little cooler I see tucked in there?

I guess I didn't see what you wrote the first time, only the above quote.
It's that whole Blackberry small print/my eyes are getting worse thing going on.
Anyway that's not a cooler in the box. That white thing is a plastic basket.
It holds all my pots and pans, and every spice you would need. Oposite it is another
cubby hole for a smaller basket to hold all the cast iron stuff I carry, 2 fry pans
large and small, a griddle and a waffle iron. Got the waffle iron this summer
and it was abig hit. Also that side is where I store all my large utencils, with the cast iron.
Above the right side cubby is a drawer for all the othe utencils and misc. stuff that I think
I would need,
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee

Last edited by Timwhy on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 am; edited 2 times in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1977 Riviera camper that had a very similar set up. I bet you could still find some of those cabinets around. The passenger side had a cabinet with a couple flip up tables, Ice Box/ Refrigerator and stove top. The passenger side had a cabinet with a sink, water tank, and storage. It's my favorite camper set-up to date.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kelty kitchen, which is what most (like the REI kitchen above) are modeled after.

They come in a canvas suitcase, like 4" thick, and maybe 2'x3'. If you believe in the modular approach, these are excellent unless you have to pack up and tear down every day. They take up very little room, and store everything you would want to stuff in them in the accompanying shelves, they are just a little bulky when trying to stuff back in a bag.

Trying to function is the van while cooking seems, well, strained. That space is so valuable, so the fold up option is great. More details on how I operate:

* If you can track one down (they may be out of production) the Kelty Binto Bar can work well if you really wanna go compact:

My setup is this:

The storage either holds single items, or can house food items packed in the "cubes." The cubes fit perfectly inside (3 on the bottom I think). You can also put 3 along beneath the burner stage.

I bought a hauler 3 like this:

It has a super tough bottom "skin" that is waterproof and everything else proof. Mountainsmith cubes are just a tad larger than Kelty cubes I think (which are called "Binto" and have their own hauler as well). They are in the picture on top, the Binto Bar. Interchangable for the most part.

So, from here you can design to suit your needs-that is what modular is all about. My cubes are set up like this:
* Mess cube - this holds the full mess kit for 4 people. Eat ware, wine glasses, plates and pots, everything. I set this in the "tray" just below the burner.
* Cooking Cube - this holds my oven and small cylinders, stuff to clean it. Not very full. I set this in the "tray" just below the burner.
* First Aid - I have a full first responder kit. I set this in the "tray" just below the burner.
* I have other cubes I use for different things. I have a "fun" cube I keep frisbees, baseball gloves and balls and other fun stuff. Filled to the rim.
* Wet clothes cube.
* Cubes for kids.

You can buy this cube holder thing that works in the rack boxes, and organizes all this crap. I am not that crazy, but it may suit you. I cannot remember the name or who makes it.

The moral of the story is, you would not even know I had this kitchen as it folds up to nada. I am to keep the cab as open as I can, whether driving kids to school or going camping. A modular kitchen can really help with that. I think you should just find a full camper if you want all that stationary stuff in there. Plenty of folks want a clean weekender.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reviving Reply with quote

Just bought a unit out of a bay going to see about modifying to put in my weekender.
Anybody got anything in the works?
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Revival Reply with quote

Thought I would revive this post it seems rv-tec is working on pods. smaller ones are available as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1172878
gunmetalgrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
Here's a link to some of the cooktop/sinks available:
http://www.wholesalervequipment.com.au/cooktops-ovens-sinks/cat_10.html

Not cheap and with shipping it's pricey. There are some cheaper versions, check out ebay for cooktop/sinks, Suburban is one popular name. They just don't look as refined as the Dometic/Reimo units.

Having a cabinetmaker build one for you isn't going to be cheap either but should come in under the one linked to depending on the options you decide on. I or another cabinetmaker in Denver could give you an estimate if you decide exactly what you want in the unit.

Here's a few things I have done on my latest van to gain some space in a weekender:

That looks great Fairweather! Can we see some more pics and have some details on that seat with the pullout drawer please? I've been mind-building one for a few days and would like to see how you pulled it off.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been planning a wooden below the seat bulkhead on my Westy Weekender to get some more space - by getting rid of that sloping plastic bulkhead we have. Already took out the rear heater. Waiting till my carpenter friend has some rare free time. Removable chuck box from the rear facing seat would be a great addition.

I was going to buy a bay sink unit like pictured, but a couple of bay window bus owners I knew stated they found it in the way and one was going to take theirs out. I still think it might be nice on an extended trip - but the van is already tight enough with 4 people at bed time.

I think I'll stick with the coleman stove on a roll up metal table - simple, fairly space efficient.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: