Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
^^^ And a nice platform to put a portable stove on to heat meals if desired.....

Yep I'm really pared it down to looking for a solid spot to jet boil my coffee!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
In all honesty, it's not so much about cooking in the van. We prefer the Coleman stove and a table. However, my wife and daughters want to brush their teeth in the van. We rented a full Westy a couple of summers ago in Washington and that was truly the only thing that they liked better about the full Westy vs. our Weekender.

joetiger wrote:
We've narrowed down that cooking our van is not necessary, but brushing teeth and washing faces is a priority.

Last summer, I made this fabulous device from an oil drain pan, a pet water bowl, and some silicone, but it didn't work very well. The lid wouldn't stay on and cleaning it was gross.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

k.

Funny, the only thing I miss from my previous full Westy, over the current pop-top Weekender is also the sink.
I just want to add a water tank and sprayer out the back however.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Went to BBtB with Mike Labate in his Westy and the propane was unexpectedly compromised, so we needed another way to cook. I grabbed that same cheapo camp stove at a Walmart (can't recall the brand name; CampTrails maybe?). It is so much better designed than the Coleman I already had, that's the one I take with me now. It packs down to about half the thickness of the Coleman, and I added some things that eliminate all the rattling when it's packed.

Anyone want a lightly-used Coleman LP stove?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

It fits like I hoped it would.

I got a bit of work completed recently, added some reinforced attachment points to the back and cut a hole for the sink:

Still need to add the plumbing and faucet.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I finished the initial iteration of my little cabinet. I used hinges for a flip-down door up top and a shelf next to the bottom of the sink and added some latches. I also reinforced the wood top/cabinet area and the interior with steel L brackets.

The jugs are 2.5 gallons; it's a pretty simple setup. It fits perfectly next to the fridge facing rearward, although I think I'd like to have it face sideways if I can figure out a more compact door.

It's anchored in the back to D rings in the center console and on the back of the battery box as well as a GW seat belt bolt ring.
I'm going on a desert trip (eventually to Sedona) on Thursday so i'll get a chance to have a solo beta test to see how it goes.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

It's been a winter without a Westy Kitchen job but I did build a bathroom vanity for my wifey.

This was last winter for a friend,

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

My Westy kitchen has been modified and we cook outside so I made a box that sits behind the passenger seat.

It gets tweaked every winter but works really well. It started as a "test project" so I didn't make it very pretty.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
rhinok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I love what joetiger did there! Where did you get that cabinet from?

Thanks!
Reini

joetiger wrote:
I finished the initial iteration of my little cabinet. I used hinges for a flip-down door up top and a shelf next to the bottom of the sink and added some latches. I also reinforced the wood top/cabinet area and the interior with steel L brackets.

The jugs are 2.5 gallons; it's a pretty simple setup. It fits perfectly next to the fridge facing rearward, although I think I'd like to have it face sideways if I can figure out a more compact door.

It's anchored in the back to D rings in the center console and on the back of the battery box as well as a GW seat belt bolt ring.
I'm going on a desert trip (eventually to Sedona) on Thursday so i'll get a chance to have a solo beta test to see how it goes.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I finally had a chance to deliver this winters project. The owner is going to add hardware and finish. Burlap panels with shaker doors.

Brian

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I finally had a chance to deliver this winters project. The owner is going to add hardware and finish. Burlap panels with shaker doors.

Brian

Looks great. Can we see more pictures of it please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Thanks,

I actually don't have any myself. I will ask the new owner for some when he has a chance.

Brian

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

curious how a military field desk would work as a chuck box.
this mint green would be nice in a classic bay.

https://www.loadup.com/us-military-aluminum-utility-chest-30x18x19-converts-to-work-table.html

thought I added the pics.. so here they are

Last edited by danfromsyr on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
curious how a military field desk would work as a chuck box.
this mint green would be nice in a classic bay.

https://www.loadup.com/us-military-aluminum-utility-chest-30x18x19-converts-to-work-table.html
. That’s a wild design.
Talk about spatial relationships
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

With the influx of new folks recently, I thought I'd resurrect this thread (one of my favorites) and ask a question.

This worked for a year, but I was never truly convinced that a cheap subwoofer box made of particle board was going to last forever, and it's gotten a bit loose. Plus I'd like to remove the sub box anyway.

I think this is the ticket...More maneuverable and takes up less space:

...but Reimo wants $180 for this contraption.

https://www.vansandcamper.com/camping-shop/motorho...ble-frames

It seems like it could be fabricated. Has anybody done anything like this using readily-available pipes and fittings? I imagine I'll eventually cave and buy it, but thought I'd throw it out here first...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Joe, If you want it attach to the front seat pedestals like the last pic you can just add the stock westy table mount to a pedestal. If you want it to attach to be used by the rear seat that is a different kettle of fish....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Joe, If you want it attach to the front seat pedestals like the last pic you can just add the stock westy table mount to a pedestal. If you want it to attach to be used by the rear seat that is a different kettle of fish....

I have the Vanlife console with the built-in table mount for the front, so all good there. I think I could probably cobble something similar together from Home Depot parts and bribing my welder buddy with beer, but it might me a quicker trip from A to B to just buy the Reimo version. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
It's been a winter without a Westy Kitchen job but I did build a bathroom vanity for my wifey.

This was last winter for a friend,

Brian

Looks great what stove/sink combo brand/model is this one?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

there are all sorts of varied RV sink&stove combo units out there.
find one that fits your space or suits your need

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: