Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my showers a little bigger...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a bit nippy though Very Happy
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 2 or 3 liter bottle showers, don't put the boiling water into the bottle first. The PET (fancy name for the plastic) will shrivel up. And please don't make the obvious joke. Rolling Eyes Put the cold water in first.

If you have a "heat set" bottle that has the paneling like the traditional Gatorade bottles, it won't shrink with near boiling water. Harder to find heat set bottles in larger sizes and the caps aren't as secure as the pressurized soda bottles.
And I thought this knowledge from my corporate days was now useless...

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bluegrasser,
Is that photo in Cali? I am pretty sure I kayaked that river about 10 years ago, class IV I think. Remember putting on below a dam. Beautiful spot.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Hey Bluegrasser,
Is that photo in Cali? I am pretty sure I kayaked that river about 10 years ago, class IV I think. Remember putting on below a dam. Beautiful spot.
-d

It is in California, but I've never heard of kayaking there. It's called Mossbrae Falls and it's on the headwaters of the Sacramento River near Dunsmir and Mt Shasta. It's a bit of a hike down hot exposed railroad track, so the water actually felt quite refreshing!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shower setup that we used on one of our trips.
The Zodi shower works well, can also be used as a camp stove burner, has a temperature gauge so you can have water temps to your liking, but is bulky to store and after seeing this thread I think there are better options out there. In the mean time this is what we use to shower and keep the dogs cleaned up.

As for the rear hatch enclosure. It also performed well. Usually we are away from any other people and don't need to use it.

This was my wife's idea, but she enjoys a hot shower rather than just a bucket of water dumped over her. Can you imagine that? Wink

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/300219_3054227....oCEonw_wcB

http://www.busdepot.com/ahg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another cold shower sprayer for $90!!!
http://www.rinsekit.com/product/RINSEKIT-Online.html

Link

Pros, you can stand on the lid. The box has room to store a wet bathing suit. No batteries required.

Cons, it MUST be filled from a direct connection to a garden spigot. You can NOT pour water into it, so it wont work to add hot water, like you can with a garden sprayer.

Slider sez, NOT Recommended.

future versions will allow for a water heater to be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, and will allow pouring water in and pressurizing with an air pump (like the roadshower)
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a nifty portable shower solution. For 10 bucks I might give it a try:

http://www.simple-shower.com/

Link

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
This looks like a nifty portable shower solution. For 10 bucks I might give it a try:

http://www.simple-shower.com/

Link

I like that one, Dave!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think how many of these you could get for your $10:

Laughing Laughing Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Just think how many of these you could get for your $10
Laughing Laughing Wink

That was my first thought - but then I realized you need the straw to aerate the pour. Who has time to bother with squeezing? Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simple Shower is real nice. I use it with a platypus bladder so it doesn't take up space when not full. I haven't heated any water and showered yet. Just used fresh water to shower when its hot outside.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just helped write and edit this huge gear project for thewirecutter.com.
There are a couple of VERY cool shower solutions here.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/beach-and-pool-gear/
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixoncj; nice write up and the Wire Cutter was a great read.

We used the 2 gallon black pump up bug sprayer turned shower head again this weekend and im sold on it. Light weight, packs easy in the rocket box, fills quick from the lake and carrys well with the supplied shoulder strap. 4 hrs in the sun and the water was shockingly warmer than the ambient temp of 85. Two of us took lengthy soaps and rinses from it with water left over.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

Few things are as pleasant as cleaning off the day's mud, dust and sweat before relaxing in camp for the evening...

BOSS XC-20 water heater (performs much better than expected)
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-BOSS-XCW20-Basecamp-Operated/dp/B011TRLWIG

Pop-up shower tent (easy set-up and take-down, easy to pack - check out the vid in the customer reviews on the Amazon page). The tent also serves as cover for random gear when we leave the campsite.
https://www.amazon.com/Faswin-Privacy-Shelter-Camp...F2K40W1VFM

20 year old collapsible bucket from REI, holds about two gallons and is good for 1- 2 showers.

Cleanwaste portable toilet (a 5 gallon bucket is cheaper but bulkier)
https://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-pett-portable-environmental-toilet

This set-up has proven to be relatively easy, effective and versatile. I like that it's not attached to the van so we can set it up and drive the van w/out taking it down. It also can be put in an out of the way, low traffic area of the campsite. The only thing needed at this point is some sort of shower mat.

That's what works for me. YMMV. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

Theres a neat Vanagon oriented solution at the link quoted below:

shagginwagon83 wrote:
drj434343 wrote:
I'll second the Ecotemp L5 recommendation. Solar showers never got hot enough for me. I picked up an Ecotemp for about $100 on Amazon and added quick connect ports for propane and water on my Westy.

Now I just hang the unit from my gutter and snap in propane and water hoses and have instant hot water from my internal water tank. Setup takes about 60 seconds. I've been surprised at the performance and longevity of the unit considering its cost.

This is sick! So where is the 12v pump at? Also - do you happen to use a GoWesty Water filler to tap into the internal water tank?

I've been considering making my own version of this for awhile

https://www.go-shower.com/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

I usually camp in places where no enclosure required.

Have you guys been to beaches in Europe?

Very Happy
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for moving to appropriate thread. Abscate, I have not been to Europe yet! Maybe I'll ship my van there one day!

drj434343 wrote:

Yup, my setup is almost identical to the go-shower pictures.

I installed a Shurflo water pump in my water system which pressurizes lines going to the faucet and external quick connect simultaneously. The quick connect is a modified GW hookup rigged to flow water both directions depending on my application. I can connect to city water via a hose if at an RV site which effectively bypasses my internal pump, or I can connect my shower and use the internal pump for pressure.

The only difference from the go-shower is that I plumbed a LP line to another quick connect port so I didn't have to craw under and connect to my tank. This also allows me to connect an outside barbecue. If you have more questions, we can take it off line so as not to hijack the thread too much.

This sounds like a perfect setup. I don't see any negatives in this setup. A video of this in action would be awesome. Did you use the GoWesty Fresh Water tank filler or the GoWesty City Water hookup for your 'modified' hook up?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

No time to read the whole thread, but I just put an old bag-style solar shower in the luggage rack, made my own hose extension. I take a shower standing there in trunks dedicated for that purpose. I am not shy and can pretty well clean everywhere I need to if I'm not worried about the trunks getting perfectly rinsed\. Wet-wipe follow up as needed in the van.

KISS.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Thanks Jim for moving to appropriate thread. Abscate, I have not been to Europe yet! Maybe I'll ship my van there one day!

drj434343 wrote:

Yup, my setup is almost identical to the go-shower pictures.

I installed a Shurflo water pump in my water system which pressurizes lines going to the faucet and external quick connect simultaneously. The quick connect is a modified GW hookup rigged to flow water both directions depending on my application. I can connect to city water via a hose if at an RV site which effectively bypasses my internal pump, or I can connect my shower and use the internal pump for pressure.

The only difference from the go-shower is that I plumbed a LP line to another quick connect port so I didn't have to craw under and connect to my tank. This also allows me to connect an outside barbecue. If you have more questions, we can take it off line so as not to hijack the thread too much.

This sounds like a perfect setup. I don't see any negatives in this setup. A video of this in action would be awesome. Did you use the GoWesty Fresh Water tank filler or the GoWesty City Water hookup for your 'modified' hook up?

I used the GW city water hookup, but actually only had to modify the female quick connect I use with the shower to make this work. The city water hookup has a spring loaded ball valve which only allows for water flow from the outside to the inside of the van under normal circumstances (i.e. connecting a pressurized hose). If nothing is connected, the spring (and internal water pressure) closes the valve.

I partially hollowed out one of those $3 hose quick connectors that snap to the GW hookup and installed a stainless steel rod approximately 2 inches long right in the center bore. Now, with this "special" quick connect, which stays with the shower hose, I manually push the ball valve open from the inside when I connect it automatically. This effectively fully opens the port and allows water flow in both directions depending on the pressure. In my case, this allows my internal pump to supply flow from the inside of the van outside to my shower.

I plan to put together a more detailed build thread on this and some of the other systems on the van now that most of the work is done.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

I use a 2 gallon Hudson sprayer took the sprayer off and put on a regular hose nozzle. Add a teapot full of hot water and BINGO Nice shower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: