Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical) Reply with quote

So i finally installed a sure power 1314a for my house battery that powers fridge furnace and other misc. electronics. those components all run through a blue seas fuse box. Now i want to hook my water faucet up through the aux battery as well. All that wiring is intact as well as the generic westy relay box, that box is no longer powered since the starter battery now powers the 1314a. My question is, since all the water faucet wiring is in stock place, from little black fuse box on drivers B pillar To the westy relay under drivers seat, can I just run a lead from the aux battery lug on the 1314a to power the westy relay box? I quickly jumped those connections and it powers the faucet and kitchen battery level\water level lights.
Would it be safe to run a dedicated wire for this to achieve powering the faucet off aux battery? If so should I fuse it even though the faucet is fused through the little black box? I know there are other ways to power the faucet, but I figured since all the wiring is already there, the simplest thing would be to run a lead from the aux battery lug on the 1314a to energize the westy relay. Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical) Reply with quote

Yes, keep the 2 fuse box wired in for the kitchen and power it from the aux battery.

Depending on WHERE the aux battery and 1314A are located, an additional fuse may be required. One is probably a good idea in any case.

Mark
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical) Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, keep the 2 fuse box wired in for the kitchen and power it from the aux battery.

Depending on WHERE the aux battery and 1314A are located, an additional fuse may be required. One is probably a good idea in any case.

Mark

Thanks mark! So the battery is under the sink and has a Short (maybe 12-14”) 12 gauge run To the 1314a which is under drivers seat, which is not fused (Starter battery is fused to the 1314a) but the ground wire from 1314a is. Then the 1314a being right next to the westy relay has a 12 gauge run about 6”s in length. If I were to fuse that, which is probably not a bad idea, what size fuse would you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical) Reply with quote

There are 2 red wires that originally ran from the Westy fridge relay to the 2 fuses behind the driver seat.
If you look very closely you should be able to tell that one of the 2 reds is slightly smaller than the other.
That smaller red powers the kitchen.
You should be able to safely hook it right to the 1314A power post that is on the aux battery side, but a 10 amp inline fuse right there isn't a bad idea.

Mark
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me if this is safe (westy electrical) Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
There are 2 red wires that originally ran from the Westy fridge relay to the 2 fuses behind the driver seat.
If you look very closely you should be able to tell that one of the 2 reds is slightly smaller than the other.
That smaller red powers the kitchen.
You should be able to safely hook it right to the 1314A power post that is on the aux battery side, but a 10 amp inline fuse right there isn't a bad idea.

Mark

That would make total sense and bypass using the westy relay altogether, thanks mark!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: