Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct idle jets on 32pdsit carbs on 67 westy?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Correct idle jets on 32pdsit carbs on 67 westy? Reply with quote

I converted a set of 32 PDSIT carbs to fit the single port heads on my 67 westy motor.
Question is: one carb has an idle jet stamped .50, the other one has a jet stamped .950. They look pretty darn similar as far as orifice and passageways. I found another jet marked .945 off a pict 30. I removed the .50 and am now using the .950 and .945 and the motor seems to carburate alot cleaner but I may need to go leaner? I also have moved the accelerator pump adjustment to the middle hole ( one hole leaner).
Any help or insight? Thx PS, I am running a rebuilt 019 distributer
trainwreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.50 is what I had on one pair of 32 pdsits, .45 on another. Believe .50 is correct. Youre gonna have to do some calculations compensating for the modifications I'd think
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the 1600 carbs were jeted at originally.
Note that the left and the right carbs are not jetted the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a pic of a jet stamped .9?? what ever. Please.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have O jets that are supposed to flow fuel one direction, and X jets that are supposed to flow fuel the other direction.

Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I took these pics maybe the 9 I was seeing was really a "G" ? The .960 or G60 I believe has the smaller of the three side holes.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct idle jets on 32pdsit carbs on 67 westy? Reply with quote

Saggs wrote:
I converted a set of 32 PDSIT carbs to fit the single port heads on my 67 westy motor.

A bit off the topic of your question but can you post what you did to install them on your Bus engine? Linkage used, air cleaners used, and any other modifications needed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything for you Everett Wink Ya, I'll get some detailed pics and an explanation of what I did. Any idea about what size or type of jets I'm looking at here?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would duplicate the jets used in the page Russ Wolfe posted above.

That was my plan if I wanted to try the Type 3 dual carbs. on my Bus 1500cc engine... using the 1500cc Type 3 specs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saggs wrote:

After I took these pics maybe the 9 I was seeing was really a "G" ? The .960 or G60 I believe has the smaller of the three side holes.

Those are "G"s.

I wouldn't count on looking at the size of the holes in the pic. For the carb. on my '63 Bus I had to go through about 10 parts carbs, to find an idle jet that wasn't either worn or drilled out. I picked one that looked undamaged.

The one on the left looks jacked up to me? It looks worn around the hole. The one of the right looks nice.

I can't proclaim to know that my selection method makes sense but it made sense to me and the carb. idled nicer and I could set the idle speed correctly (really low) & idle mixture afterward.
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the one on the left is different. Do you think the holes are supposed to be bigger or has it worn over time? Would Russ be the man to set me up w/ some good jets?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keifernet would be the one to see about the jets. Those are the same in a bug carb.
I sent him almost all of my bug cores, and I would not want to rob any of my good T-3 carbs.
Most T-3 carbs, those were electric cut off jets.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear keifernet's opinion on the holes.
I have never asked him about that.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to Everett's off topic mention...This is Shane6's dual Vanguard carb set up on his 62 vert. I can not remember if this used dual 28's or not.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Saggs wrote:

Those are "G"s.

I wouldn't count on looking at the size of the holes in the pic. For the carb. on my '63 Bus I had to go through about 10 parts carbs, to find an idle jet that wasn't either worn or drilled out. I picked one that looked undamaged.

The one on the left looks jacked up to me? It looks worn around the hole. The one of the right looks nice.

I can't proclaim to know that my selection method makes sense but it made sense to me and the carb. idled nicer and I could set the idle speed correctly (really low) & idle mixture afterward.

My observation on these jets is:

Yes it's a "g" not a 9 before what ever size is stamped. For the most part only original Solex jets have the "g" on them.

The older original 45 and 50 and some 55 jets I have inspected have the larger "two holes" in the sides.

The newer jets seem to have changed to 4 smaller holes but I am not sure when. Perhaps in the early 70's. I am not sure why the change... perhaps it flows or mixes the fuel better from idle through the low end progression/transition is my best guess. Although I can't say I can tell that much difference.

I agree with Ev that you have to carefully examine these jets to see if the tiny hole in the tip has been drilled or the jet butchered up in some manner. I see it a lot.

As stated these carbs came with electric idle solenoid cut offs but over time they may have been replaced with the plain ol idle pilots when the electric ones "failed" or if converted from 6 to 12V.

I prefer to get rid of the electric ones and just run plain brass jets.

The electric solenoids also had a tendency to "waller out" the threaded hole in the carb bodies when they vibrated loose and it's quite common to find them fit very loose and sloppy which required tightening them into the carb body and created another malady. The overtightened jet syndrome makes the carb(s) not want to idle or tune properly unless the pilot jet is backed out a bit and loctite used on the threads to keep it in the position it allows the carb to run best.
( I now have the proper insert set up to repair this and am now able to save carb bodies that might otherwise be trashed.)

I agree the original poster should source two of the same jets. I'd run the 50's and see and depending on elevation or engine condition it might like the leaner 45's. He just needs to experiment.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: