Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb Reply with quote

HI all

I was curious if there is a good combo that has been used and can be recommended. I'm looking into building my 56 dated long block. I want to used the stock solex 28pci carb. But was curious if a perfomance cam would work with it. Would a performance cam make a difference.

Any combos using the stock carb would be cool.

Would the venturi need to be changed?

I want a stock look but a bit more power.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb Reply with quote

I think you have to do most work on the heads, flycut them around 3mm to get a 8-8.5:1 compression, and make the intakes wider. Set deck height to near 1mm.

A hotter cam is probably not worth the money if you dont do anything to the heads.

Bengt H here on the forum made the best thread I have seen on this, but it is in Swedish on boxerville.se.

AA has 80mm cylinders, need to machine the case and heads.

I have TDE endpipes on my 36 hp, gives probably not more power, but I have the power a couple of hundred's rpms more. After a visit at CSP last year, I want their new exhaust with modern technology that at the time was to be released, should give a little more power.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Would 77mm domed pistons make a difference with compression and get some power with a cam? Or would that not do much?
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb Reply with quote

Another idea I thought of

Would boring out the 28pci carb to 30mm make much difference?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mild 36hp build using 28pci carb Reply with quote

I recommend you talk to Matthew at www.aircooledresearch.com

If you're rebuilding the engine...add the cam and due the head work

You could read through my 54 engine build as well.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553572

Recommend the Stage 2 cam from Matthew, have him or someone else build you a nice set of ported single port heads. When he did mine we used Okrasa sized intake/exhaust valves, 3 angle valve job, and flycut the heads to increase the CR. I run a .040 deck height.

Fully balance your rotating assembly (crank, rods, flywheel, pressure plate).

I ran a 30pic carb, but you could increase the Venturi size of the stock 28pci...once again check out Matthew's site for that.

My engine was/is extremely strong for a 36hp. I have since changed to Okrasa dual port heads and dual Weber 36 IDF carbs. This makes a huge difference
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: