Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn beam bearings and bushings...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Hey folks,
Any one have any advice on replacing worn needle bearings and bushings on a barndoor beam? Any tutorials out there? I did a search and came up with a ton of lowering/narrowing info of course, but nothing on refurbishing the beam components.
Also, anyone know a source for needle bearings and bushings? Are they the same for later split window buses?
I've got the Bentley manual, but it's a little sparse in this area. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the link pin needle bearings and bushes, then yes, 55-62 parts will fit. You can take the spindles out and press the bushings on a real press or in situ with an improvised puller using a couple sockets, washers, threaded rod etc. The Bentley should cover this but using the
VW tools. Just did this yesterday and it was pretty straightforward Cool
jingram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I'm talking about the big bushings that fit into the beam tubes that the torsion arms slide into. I guess there are no needle bearings inside of the beam tubes, just the bushings. How do I pull the worn bushings out and install new ones?
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, wasn't really sure what you were asking. As far as I know, the torsion
bushings are the same as 55 and up and the factory parts list supports this. Needle bearings came much later, like mid 60's? I think R&R is covered in some of the beam narrowing threads. I'll probably need to do this as well;not really looking forward to it.
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't ge the address to work but go to snapon.com and type in cj2003a and search...it is gonna be the best way to remove the Bakelite bushings...they will need to be pressed back in...there were factory press tubes but god luck finding them...improvise...then they will need to be fitted or reamed after install...the factory tool had cutters and shaved them to fit one bushings at a time...takes a good six hours to re set up a beam...no needle bearings in a barn door...the best way to find some bushings is start waving cash around..they will surface....not cheap or easy venture...trust me..

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jingram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the replys guys. I guess all I need are some really expensive tools (that I'll only use once) and some reaaallllyyyy rare parts and I'm in business.
We'll see how this goes....
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
I couldn't ge the address to work but go to snapon.com and type in cj2003a and search...it is gonna be the best way to remove the Bakelite bushings...they will need to be pressed back in...there were factory press tubes but god luck finding them...improvise...then they will need to be fitted or reamed after install...the factory tool had cutters and shaved them to fit one bushings at a time...takes a good six hours to re set up a beam...no needle bearings in a barn door...the best way to find some bushings is start waving cash around..they will surface....not cheap or easy venture...trust me..

No way I'd pay 500 bucks for that tool from SnapOn but does give me some ideas. As for the bushings, are you saying the available replacements don't fit? Maybe my bushings aren't as bad as I thought LOL!
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to buy the whole kit just the right size adapter and slide hammer...I can give the correct part numbers needed as I have them...there is an alternative made by otc and much cheaper BUT it is a super rinky dink slide hammer and I can tell you from exp. If the bushings are tight still you won't get them out with the OTC unit...

The replacement bushings are like any bushings...they have to be reamed to fit...they won't fit otherwise...I fit my first beam with a stone hone one at a time and it took me a week or more to do because if you can imagine the hone had to be collapsed with a long screwdriver to fit into the internal size of the inner bushings then honed then test fit....lots of work..

I just did my factory installed beam for sunroof kombi and it was a little smoother because I used all the right tools but still took forever...the guy in the dealer that got handed the repair order to replace those bushings BITD was most likely to loose his ass that period...lol

wanted:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushings most likely still good...but if you want to restore the beam and need powder coat it the bushings will not stay put when you bring the beam up to temp in the oven....also leaves spots for grease to hide and it will ruin your paint job...

wanted:
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
The bushings most likely still good...but if you want to restore the beam and need powder coat it the bushings will not stay put when you bring the beam up to temp in the oven....also leaves spots for grease to hide and it will ruin your paint job...

sounds like a easier way to pemove them to me Very Happy

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to send the beam to Washington state I have NOS bushings and the factory tools to do the job.
runewo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the later needle bearings be used in the barndoor beam?
If so you would save yourself from the reaming.. But they are maybe hard to get?
73 Porsche 911
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Rather than starting a new thread.....

Are there any stock barndoor repro beam bushes available anywhere? Has anybody had any made in a different material i.e. Delrin or Bronze? How does that work with the arms?... I'm thinking about getting some made, but if they are already out there?
Thanks for any info.
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

I believe that Nate @ Wagenswest has a new replacement bushing Made of a more modern material now. Barndoor is the same as early bus.

wanted:
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Thought about it...

I should have said, I’ll tell you wankers how to source beam bushings if you tell me where I can get a bloody floor mat Laughing

wanted:
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

I believe Matt Smith makes all year barndoor cab mats. Is that what your after?
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

PM sent

wanted:
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Todd, thanks for the info, i will contact Nate, i did see them on his website but wasn't sure they were the correct size.
If i see or hear of a mat will let you know. Smile
Simon
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Of course, Simon!

The factory bushings or aftermarket ones I would think if pressing them in are going to need to be fitted to the trailing arm to have a non sloppy fit. I know nothing of the Wagenswest units and know Nate makes a nice product but the factory ones are available on here for sale right now. Reaming them is the biggest headache you face but it can be figured out.

Please shoot me a message if a mat floats by!! I’m 13 years deep into looking.

wanted:
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn beam bearings and bushings... Reply with quote

Rusting Hulk wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread.....

Are there any stock barndoor repro beam bushes available anywhere? Has anybody had any made in a different material i.e. Delrin or Bronze? How does that work with the arms?... I'm thinking about getting some made, but if they are already out there?
Thanks for any info.

If you want to send the beam to Greg in California, he has NOS bushings and the factory tools to do the job.

contact campingbox
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: